Still, why can't I leave my balcony door open at night?

At the risk of facing the wrath of this place again.......I asked on Edge about leaving the balcony doors open.

Our steward said that the air con would not work if the infinity window was open. And that the inside slid9ng doors were irrelevant in this as they were pretty useless.

He also told is that it was fine to leave the window open.

So we did. A few times.

Now having read this thread I wont be doing it again. As I can see how it's a problem.

But being a first time cruiser and getting that advice from the steward.....how would we have known differently?

Our next cruise is on constellation and I suspect the advice would be different. And like I said I will not leave the door open at night again.

32 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

At the risk of facing the wrath of this place again.......I asked on Edge about leaving the balcony doors open.

Our steward said that the air con would not work if the infinity window was open. And that the inside slid9ng doors were irrelevant in this as they were pretty useless.

He also told is that it was fine to leave the window open.

So we did. A few times.

Now having read this thread I wont be doing it again. As I can see how it's a problem.

But being a first time cruiser and getting that advice from the steward.....how would we have known differently?

Our next cruise is on constellation and I suspect the advice would be different. And like I said I will not leave the door open at night again.

In an Infinite Balcony cabin with a large window that lowers down to create a balcony like area, the AC has supposedly been designed to allow the window to be opened to the room, which is the main feature of that design concept. I have read several descriptions that it is fine to open that window to the room, including here in a CruiseCritic editor review. I seem to remember that Celebrity also promoted this capability when the ship design was first announced (the photo below is from Celebrity's announcement event). This is a new design concept for ocean going cruise lines and is pretty much exclusive to the Edge class. Some river cruise lines have used this concept for years. 

Quote from CC editor: ( https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=1130&pgtype=cabins)

One thing to note: If you open the window but leave the bifold doors open as well, the A/C in the room will shut off to conserve energy. (If it starts to rain outdoors, any open windows in Infinite Verandas will automatically close, which can be confusing if you're in the room and you didn't press the button.) 

Note: this feature only applies to the Edge class of ships.

Image result for celebrity edge infinity balcony

Edited by SantaFeFan

Yes I believe you are correct. We didnt have any adverse weather so it never shut by itself.

The inner doors are pretty useless and are of no use whatsoever 

I couldn't see the point in ever closing those doors.they just served no purpose.

That's not to say I am criticising the infinity balcony i6self. I liked it.

I don't believe the infinite balcony cabins are any different than other balcony cabins, and I don't believe the system shuts off all fresh air to the cabin when the infinite window is open, as there have been negative comments about this, and the whistling noise from the passageway door.  I just feel that this was a design feature that was not researched well, with no input from onboard personnel.

Whether or not Celebrity advertises this as being acceptable is just more cruise line PR that has little basis in reality.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 4:12 AM, MicCanberra said:

There are many types of sea craft that facilitate open deck sleeping. Tom Hanks and Wilson had one such craft..

The Alaska State Ferry allows sleeping on deck.

41 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't believe the infinite balcony cabins are any different than other balcony cabins, and I don't believe the system shuts off all fresh air to the cabin when the infinite window is open, as there have been negative comments about this, and the whistling noise from the passageway door.  I just feel that this was a design feature that was not researched well, with no input from onboard personnel.

Whether or not Celebrity advertises this as being acceptable is just more cruise line PR that has little basis in reality.

I can categorically confirm that the AC was definitely off in the room with the window down.

I heard no whistling noise either.

I would also like to reiterate that our steward was happy for us to leave the window down.

I dont need to read a review of this. I was there.

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I think we would reserve judgement on the Infinity balcony cabins until we have tried it. Currently, I cannot justfy the cost to get aboard the X EDGE.

I tried to re book it for 2020. It had gone up 20% from this year.

It was suddenly way outside my price range.

50 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

In my defense, I don't like the concept and am not interested in one of these cabins, or the ship itself. I don't doubt that you are correct. The entire ship seemed to be designed as a PR stunt, so it seems believable the concept was poorly executed - a trend I am seeing with Celebrity ever since the current CEO took over. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

10 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I can categorically confirm that the AC was definitely off in the room with the window down.

I heard no whistling noise either.

I would also like to reiterate that our steward was happy for us to leave the window down.

I dont need to read a review of this. I was there.

Sometimes the room steward will say anything to keep the passengers happy in hopes of a bigger tip. 

On 8/29/2019 at 10:44 PM, akcruz said:

Please see the snip from your original post above, you are the one that said $5/night which I still dispute

OK, the $5 I mentioned is, even with my lousy attempt at writing English, obviously what I would be willing to spend. Not the cost. That would be 50 cents or so.

On CC, people in $10K suites are asking what day their complimentary tote bag arrives and what quality it has. People who are  paying the worth of a decent car are apparently lured with a free scoop of ice cream. I would be a really, really bad marketing manager for a cruise line as I simply don't understand the clientele.

If a cabin is sold to me as "it's more expensive, but on deck 7 you can keep your door open", that's so much better than a tote bag or other nonsense. But the lines have all the data, and apparently guests appreciate a free scoop of ice cream and trinkets. 

I'm one of the apparently tiny proportion of the guests who doesn't want the mall experience or the ice skating. To be honest, most ports I've been to I've been to before with much more time. I'm on a ship because it's a ship, at sea. When the ship rolls or pitches it's not because it is part of the theme park ride programmed in a computer, it is because there are actual waves. Guests like me don't like to close the curtains and feel they are in an average hotel room but like to hear and smell the sea at night. Then, $5 is peanuts.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:07 PM, chengkp75 said:
On 8/29/2019 at 3:36 AM, AmazedByCruising said:

What needs to be subtracted: complaints and the cost that goes with those.

How many times have you heard of folks getting any compensation for inadequate AC? 

I didn't mean a possible compensation, but just the fact that someone picked up the phone, went to deck 5 to check, put it in the computer, etc. Easily 30 minutes work for one complaint, if there's no follow up (waking up an engineer), and nobody to send a bill to.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:07 PM, chengkp75 said:

What savings comes from not having the crew handling complaints?  The crew are paid the same whether they are handling complaints or sitting around drinking coffee.  Losses of future revenue due to possible complaints are intangible losses, and I don't know of many companies that would front loads of capital to prevent intangible losses.

I just don't believe that cruise lines would wish to make an all ready complicated system even more complicated just to satisfy a few passengers who wish to sleep with their balcony door open, and class may even have a problem with this, since this defeats the positive pressure in the cabins.

When nobody complains, you need less crew to handle the complaints. Isn't that obvious? A team of 4 could be 1 person. And instead of drinking coffee, they'd be doing other jobs. In my company, the somewhat oversized support desk can handle super busy times easily but there are always plenty things to do when nobody is calling.

People complaining loudly is just as intangible as having a presence on Facebook. For the latter, you can advertise brand X as "fun", and while you feel it works, you can't say that the campaign got you 30,000 extra guests. For complaining guests on CC, you don't know how many guests you lost. But it is similar, neglecting complaints because solving the complaint doesn't show a direct profit doesn't mean you aren't losing clients. 

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

On my first cruise I took it as "Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness".  Yeah yeah. I won't jump of the ship sleepwalking, I won't get a cold. Certainly not a single thought that it meant that I'd be making a mess of the a/c for 50+ other cabins.

3 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

I didn't mean a possible compensation, but just the fact that someone picked up the phone, went to deck 5 to check, put it in the computer, etc. Easily 30 minutes work for one complaint, if there's no follow up (waking up an engineer), and nobody to send a bill to

Do you know what else would eliminate all these complaints and follow-ups? If #@*& like you simply complied with the rules and just went out onto their balcony when they needed fresh air. And kept the bloody door closed. When are you going to realize that you are one of a very small (dare I say miniscule) number if people with your attitude? Why would any cruise line spend untold millions of dollars to satisfy the selfish wants of a wee percentage of their guests?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mom says said:

Do you know what else would eliminate all these complaints and follow-ups? If #@*& like you simply complied with the rules and just went out onto their balcony when they needed fresh air. And kept the bloody door closed. When are you going to realize that you are one of a very small (dare I say miniscule) number if people with your attitude? Why would any cruise line spend untold millions of dollars to satisfy the selfish wants of a wee percentage of their guests?

Calm down please. I do keep the door shut. I'm just asking for something else, not extremely ridiculous, than an ice rink on my next ship.

"Selfish wants", please tell me when you gave up a cruise and spent the money on the homeless.

25 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Selfish wants", please tell me when you gave up a cruise and spent the money on the homeless.

You do realize these are not either/or? It is actually possible to cruise and give generously to the charities of one's choosing?

33 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Calm down please. I do keep the door shut. I'm just asking for something else, not extremely ridiculous, than an ice rink on my next ship.

The cruise lines provide what their research shows their customers want. And that is an ice rink if they think people will cruise their ships to enjoy that. Your incessant complaining about something that is not going to change is getting tiresome. If you want a cruise ship to have only what you want and nothing else, then build your own darn ship. Until your ship is completed and launched, try to be a mature adult and stop the whining that you can't have everything you want. 🙄 

Edited by SantaFeFan

5 minutes ago, mom says said:

You do realize these are not either/or? It is actually possible to cruise and give generously to the charities of one's choosing?

You started blaming me for being selfish. Chairhogging is selfish. 

Please tell me how it's "selfish" to want a new feature on a ship? A really simple feature, being able to open your very own door without bothering other passengers. That's all.

16 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

The cruise lines provide what their research shows their customers want. And that is an ice rink if they so choose. Your continued complaining about something that is not going to change is getting tiresome. If you want only a cruise ship to have only what you want, then build your own darn ship. So until your ship is completed and launched, try to be a mature adult and stop the whining that you can't have everything you want. 🙄 

Their research was certainly not "what do you want?" and a large percentage said "An ice rink!". 

They might have asked "would you think an ice rink on the ship would be cool", and many said "yes, why not".

I'm whining because they never asked "would you like to hear and smell the sea", to find that an even bigger percentage would say "yes, that would actually be nice". Certainly more than an ice rink.

To have 50+  cabins in one group, being responsible for each other's a/c reminds me of the hotels where 15 rooms shared one bath room. I'm willing to bet a lot that in 10 years new ships will have individual a/c that switches of when you open the door.

2 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

When the ship rolls or pitches it's not because it is part of the theme park ride programmed in a computer, it is because there are actual waves.

We cruised the Norwegian coast on Hurtigruten's MS Lofoten which carries about 100 pax.  We had a porthole that opened.  It was terrific.  Perhaps you should search for cruises/ships that suit your preference.  This is the oldest ship in their fleet and it has no stabilizers.  We were on the sea when that Viking ship lost power.  It was really fun when I'd slide from the top of the bunk to the bottom.  I really felt that I was "at sea."  But most people who 'cruise' wouldn't like it.

IMG_6740 - Edited (1).jpg

1 hour ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Their research was certainly not "what do you want?" and a large percentage said "An ice rink!". 

They might have asked "would you think an ice rink on the ship would be cool", and many said "yes, why not".

I'm whining because they never asked "would you like to hear and smell the sea", to find that an even bigger percentage would say "yes, that would actually be nice". Certainly more than an ice rink.

To have 50+  cabins in one group, being responsible for each other's a/c reminds me of the hotels where 15 rooms shared one bath room. I'm willing to bet a lot that in 10 years new ships will have individual a/c that switches of when you open the door.

Image result for eye roll gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, clo said:

We cruised the Norwegian coast on Hurtigruten's MS Lofoten which carries about 100 pax.  We had a porthole that opened.  It was terrific.  Perhaps you should search for cruises/ships that suit your preference.  This is the oldest ship in their fleet and it has no stabilizers.  We were on the sea when that Viking ship lost power.  It was really fun when I'd slide from the top of the bunk to the bottom.  I really felt that I was "at sea."  But most people who 'cruise' wouldn't like it.

Exactly. Thank you. My next cruise will be on a more adventurous line than HAL or X.

3 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Exactly. Thank you. My next cruise will be on a more adventurous line than HAL or X.

I'll add that we knew rough waters were ahead when we returned to our cabin and the porthole and been closed...and locked 🙂

Here's another pic I know you'll like 🙂

IMG_6880 - Edited.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1