Ballet on X, really.

dolittle

14 hours ago, dolittle said:

I just saw on one of X s room channel that they have a deal to bring Ballet to some of their ships. Hate to be a wet blanket but sounds like a real bad idea to me. It is just not popular entertainment never has been and never will be. What do you think.

What do I think...?? Well first, based on the fact that ballet has been performed for audiences around the globe for centuries, and continues so today...I think it must have a certain degree of popularity to it !! 😉

Now, as to whether it will be well received by passengers on Celebrity...only time will tell ! Based on the small sampling of responses so far on here, I'd say many are at least looking forward to experiencing it !

Now, if they would only start having some major Blues Artists perform !!😁😁

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

As a former dancer Mrs Gut would love it. But did raise the question of safety.

I was hoping the ballet would be performing on the Silhouette in March?  I love all forms of dance, and find ballet to be beautiful - something different from production shows!  DD is a 'former' dancer (Winnipeg Royal Ballet part of her training) and performed on cruise ships in her former career.  Yes, safety was a concern for all dancers...they learn to roll when needed...LOL.

2 hours ago, cgolf2 said:

All I can hope for on the Apex is that they have Edgy shows in the main theater like we saw in January on the Edge and not this.

We saw the Nutcracker ballet once and both my wife and I didn't enjoy it. I watched intently and could never figure out what the point of the story was, reminds me of the Eden show;) The performers, both ballet and Eden, were very talented, just not for us.

The Nutcracker is primarily a children's production but all ages seem to enjoy the nuttiness (?) of the characters...you may have enjoyed something a little more classical?  My DD was around 5 when we took her to the N....loved it so much she was enthralled the whole time and turned to dance as a professional most likely because of her early experience with the fun of the nutcracker.  Different strokes, etc.

2 hours ago, cgolf2 said:

We saw the Nutcracker ballet once and both my wife and I didn't enjoy it. I watched intently and could never figure out what the point of the story was,

I would happily see Balanchine's "Nutcracker" every year.  And Tchaikovsky's music is beautiful.  Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

• Like 1

In the US... ballet including Nutcracker, opera, orchestra/ band  music etc was always part of the music  appreciation curriculum.  ( required ) Guess not true anymore or not universally covered.  Very sad!

Same for art history...and in some schools,  students are not being taught how to write script . 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dolittle said:

I just saw on one of X s room channel that they have a deal to bring Ballet to some of their ships. Hate to be a wet blanket but sounds like a real bad idea to me. It is just not popular entertainment never has been and never will be. What do you think.

Something different!  Let's expand our horizons!

Would love to have the experience to enjoy ballet on the high seas...

Ballet is not an activity we have ever viewed together & I believe Johnny would enjoy a short segment on a cruise...

Unfortunately, it does not appear there are any planned shows on our March Eclipse Cruise...

To all who have the opportunity - Enjoy!

For those who do not enjoy Ballet - there will be something else for your to enjoy on the Ship...

Happy Cruising All 🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dolittle said:

We saw the American Ballet on our Celebrity Summit cruise in March.  The only ballet prior to this I have seen is the Nutcracker and my husband dislikes ballet altogether.  That being said, it was spectacular!  They (just a man and a woman) did a traditional piece which was beautiful.  Then there was a crazy wild violinist - like Lindsy Sterling who was amazing.  Then the ballet artists came back on and did a modern dance ballet.  That was fabulous.  I can't say enough how much I enjoyed this.  Expand your horizons a little bit and you will be surprised!  I would highly recommend going to this show.

• Like 3

I think the average American could use a bit MORE exposure to the arts/culture in their lives... ballet is a good start.

As others said, from the perspective of music and athleticism, the ballet is a beautiful show. If it's not your thing, you're certain to find other options on the ship during that short show. 🙂 

Edited by Icon901
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

The Nutcracker is primarily a children's production but all ages seem to enjoy the nuttiness (?) of the characters...you may have enjoyed something a little more classical?  My DD was around 5 when we took her to the N....loved it so much she was enthralled the whole time and turned to dance as a professional most likely because of her early experience with the fun of the nutcracker.  Different strokes, etc.

We took my granddaughter to the Toronto Nutcracker when she was 5. She loved the lambs and wanted to be one. Her mother my daughter enrolled her in the school and she was one the following year and attended the associate school until she was 16 and danced in many Nutcracker as one of the animals.

We go to see it at Cineplex in Peterborough every year.

We are on the January 14th cruise on the Summit and looking forward to the ballet

OntarioCruiser

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

I love ballet, my favorite ballet moment was seeing Swan Lake at the Mariinsky Ballet in St. Petersburg.  Swan Lake is over an hour and a half, if I remember, perhaps longer.  That is too long for a cruise performance.  Wonder what ballets would be shown?

We saw Swan Lake in St P also.  Fabulous.

Kudos to Celebrity for adding ballet to their entertainment shows.

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info.  

It looks as if it will be a hit.  I wish it was on the Equinox when we sail in Oct.  

Need something different than the lame production shows and magic acts that are what you learn from any basic magic trick starter kit or book.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

21 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Bravo Celebrity for realizing that there is indeed an audience for ballet at sea. Can we hope to see a similar program being introduced to bring opera aboard?

They have had opera soloists on board.  But never a full opera.  Would guess that might break the bank.

44 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

I was on Summit in May and it was not offered.

It's not on every cruise but it's also on more ships than just the Summit.  There is a whole page on their website that lists what upcoming cruises they'll be on

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/entertainment/american-ballet-theatre

So far it seems to be just a couple of dancers