Self Guided Walking Tour of Old San Juan

Embem

On 8/29/2019 at 6:32 AM, AlohaLivin said:

@FionaMG  shared this thread with our roll call. A year ago when we booked another San Juan port cruise I decided to do as you are doing and look around for a walking tour. But I didn’t find options that I thought were ideal for us (for example I didn’t need to see both forts set a long distance from one another) and we wanted to mix in some shopping areas and some amazing food finds that I had run across in my research. It seemed to take forever to compile it and lay it out, but I finally pulled together a tour with all we wanted via google maps (I called it the “three amigos take San Juan” 😂). I don’t know that it would fit your needs, but I am happy to share it. Have a great time!

It is so great of you to share your information, may I have a copy, my email is mingr at Comcast dot net 

Thanks so much!

Edited by ruimin

10 minutes ago, lilchief27 said:

Silly me entered the wrong @ email server. 

It should be lorisotheremail at netzero.com

Hi! I tried to send it to the second email address, but it said that one isn't attached to a google account. But the first email address it did accept before when I mailed it. I resent it just now when I sent one to @fllighthouse  to make sure you receive it. If you still have problems let me know and I will try to help you figure out what the problem might be :classic_smile:

Please add me as a receiver of your walking tour efforts: diane dot acap at mindspring dot com.

Hubby is limited in walking distances without rest stops.  I've read that OSJ has a lot of cobblestones and is mostly sloped which will take him more time.  And as I understand, there are a number of steps at El Morro.  We'll be taking a cane seat for rest breaks, but did you find in your research/experience the areas that will be the toughest for him so we can break the tour up into seqments?  Sure hope the trolley will be operational in Feb. 

6 hours ago, fllighthouse said:

I think I deleted the email for the tour. Please resend it to me.  I would appreciate it.  Thanks Kimberly  pete646@aol.com

Kimberly - I don't mind going over there to resend, but I think it should be in your google maps when you sign into your google account under "maps shared with me" regardless of the email 🙂

5 hours ago, dianedebuda said:

Please add me as a receiver of your walking tour efforts: diane dot acap at mindspring dot com.

Hubby is limited in walking distances without rest stops.  I've read that OSJ has a lot of cobblestones and is mostly sloped which will take him more time.  And as I understand, there are a number of steps at El Morro.  We'll be taking a cane seat for rest breaks, but did you find in your research/experience the areas that will be the toughest for him so we can break the tour up into seqments?  Sure hope the trolley will be operational in Feb. 

It is relatively short in distance, but as you note it has aspects of it that make it tougher than it would be otherwise. Read the info that I added above about the map and that should help - but at any point you can just to another section and pick up there or skip over small or large sections! The map as I discuss has layers and one of those also allows for a shorter ending of the tour should you desire (a downhill one). If you look at the map you can see there are several places you can reduce the walk (such as cutting out going to the bar which is up closer to the top side of the island). Finally, the stops for food/drink and in parks gives a lot of opportunity to stop and rest (while still enjoy San Juan!). I hope that you will find the tour helpful 🙂

Lynn

21 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

Hi! I tried to send it to the second email address, but it said that one isn't attached to a google account. But the first email address it did accept before when I mailed it. I resent it just now when I sent one to @fllighthouse  to make sure you receive it. If you still have problems let me know and I will try to help you figure out what the problem might be :classic_smile:

The 2nd email address is not attached to a google account. Try kcrldr at gmail dot com. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, lilchief27 said:

The 2nd email address is not attached to a google account. Try kcrldr at gmail dot com. Thank you. 

Hi - I will send one to the address above. But there should also be an email from google at the lorisotheremail (gmail one) and under the google maps when you sign in the account it should show up as under maps "shared" with you.

On 9/15/2019 at 5:23 PM, AlohaLivin said:

Hi - I will send one to the address above. But there should also be an email from google at the lorisotheremail (gmail one) and under the google maps when you sign in the account it should show up as under maps "shared" with you.

I got it. thanks :)

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 12:17 PM, AlohaLivin said:

No problem. And I will get that emailed off to you today (although it will come from an email from Google!). I hope it will help and be something that at least gives you some interesting out-of-the-box options for the day 🙂

Lynn

My husband & I are going out of San Juan in December - I would love to have a copy of your tour also.  Please send it to sywycoff at gmail.com

Did you by chance use a tour operator or just the walking tour.  We have about 4-1/2 hours to kill before getting on the ship - don't think us old folks can walk around for 4-1/2 hours.  But we certainly will try if we have to.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, OmaFromTexas said:

My husband & I are going out of San Juan in December - I would love to have a copy of your tour also.  Please send it to sywycoff at gmail.com

Did you by chance use a tour operator or just the walking tour.  We have about 4-1/2 hours to kill before getting on the ship - don't think us old folks can walk around for 4-1/2 hours.  But we certainly will try if we have to.

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

This is one that I have created on my own. I could not find any existing ones that were remotely what I wanted (as I also wanted cultural spots, retail shops, and food/drink venues listed and wanted to avoid seriously boring stops!). I don't know what I was thinking, it ended up taking me many days and too many hours. But I think it will be worth it (it's the laying it out and getting the lines right and all the detail about the stops that just becomes insane).

So this isn't through a tour company in any way - it's via Google Maps and can be downloaded and used even without any phone or wifi connectivity.  It is quite flexible in that you can ignore the parts you wish to ignore, cut it short as you need to (since one never knows what a specific day will bring health or weather wise!). I will send this to you and I hope it will add something to your enjoyment of Old San Juan 🙂

Lynn

22 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Hi!

This is one that I have created on my own. I could not find any existing ones that were remotely what I wanted (as I also wanted cultural spots, retail shops, and food/drink venues listed and wanted to avoid seriously boring stops!). I don't know what I was thinking, it ended up taking me many days and too many hours. But I think it will be worth it (it's the laying it out and getting the lines right and all the detail about the stops that just becomes insane).

So this isn't through a tour company in any way - it's via Google Maps and can be downloaded and used even without any phone or wifi connectivity.  It is quite flexible in that you can ignore the parts you wish to ignore, cut it short as you need to (since one never knows what a specific day will bring health or weather wise!). I will send this to you and I hope it will add something to your enjoyment of Old San Juan 🙂

Lynn

Thank you so much!!!  I loved that we can click on locations and get a popup of that spot.  Also, liked the popup of restaurants. 

It may be a considerable walk for us, but I think it's doable if we stop and rest frequently.

Thanks again.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:31 PM, OmaFromTexas said:

Thank you so much!!!  I loved that we can click on locations and get a popup of that spot.  Also, liked the popup of restaurants. 

It may be a considerable walk for us, but I think it's doable if we stop and rest frequently.

Thanks again.

I very much hope it will add something positive to your visit! Take breaks and cut it short if you need to (the optional shorter ending is in the layers menu - 3 parts to it; but you can make your own optional ending by just skipping parts, small or large!). 

@familyoutdoors  I will get that off to you as soon as I return from work 😊

Do I assume the second part of that email is gmail?

Edited by AlohaLivin

On 9/5/2019 at 8:44 PM, AlohaLivin said:

While that would make it easier, it also would allow it to be changed and also mean that I needed to put other files elsewhere. I worked awfully hard on it for weeks, making it public might be a bridge too far for me although I am happy to share. 🙂

@AlohaLivin I believe Google docs would let you share it as read only?

Either way, we'll be in San Juan in a little over a month. I would love a copy too, pretty please. email: sandy dot canetti at gmail dot com. Thank you so much.

7 hours ago, gometros said:

@AlohaLivin I believe Google docs would let you share it as read only?

Either way, we'll be in San Juan in a little over a month. I would love a copy too, pretty please. email: sandy dot canetti at gmail dot com. Thank you so much.

I just haven't had time to do a ton of research on it with my vida loca, so I thought it was better to share it the way that I knew would work well despite the extra work. But it's fine, no worries. I am about to go dash it off to you!

Everyone!

@grammyprf @amberjohn @Kuyaba @hm21999 @NateUpNorth @palolake @honeybear'scruisevacation

@ruimin @Embem @aquidneck1

@dianedebuda @OmaFromTexas @familyoutdoors @gometros

@fllighthouse  @nadasguys @lilchief27

@richbum @alex955  @Iron Treefrog @MrsKC08 

@foxymustang @Beachnut53 @MickeyManiac @let's go cruising

PLEASE do not make changes on the base map.  We all share this map and someone changing it changes it for all of us - and wipes out parts of it that I may not be able to recover and that's so much work. I just discovered that someone had removed some items in the map (not just turned them off, I mean DELETED locations, including most of the food places that were so carefully vetted) so that means the the entire map is changed for everyone.

I will do my best to recover the map, but please just skip the parts you don't want to go to but do NOT change the map for everyone else. I just hope that I can restore it but I'm not sure how I am going to go about doing that. Feeling pretty queasy right now 😞

Edited by AlohaLivin

29 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Everyone!

@grammyprf @amberjohn @Kuyaba @hm21999 @NateUpNorth @palolake @honeybear'scruisevacation

@ruimin @Embem @aquidneck1

@dianedebuda @OmaFromTexas @familyoutdoors @gometros

@fllighthouse  @nadasguys @lilchief27

@richbum @alex955  @Iron Treefrog @MrsKC08 

@foxymustang @Beachnut53 @MickeyManiac @let's go cruising

PLEASE do not make changes on the base map.  We all share this map and someone changing it changes it for all of us - and wipes out parts of it that I may not be able to recover and that's so much work. I just discovered that someone had removed some items in the map (not just turned them off, I mean DELETED locations, including most of the food places that were so carefully vetted) so that means the the entire map is changed for everyone.

I will do my best to recover the map, but please just skip the parts you don't want to go to but do NOT change the map for everyone else. I just hope that I can restore it but I'm not sure how I am going to go about doing that. Feeling pretty queasy right now 😞

I definitely didn't make any changes, and really appreciate you sharing and putting in all that hard work to create and share it. Hoping you can recover the changes, and hope whoever made the changes doesn't do it again. Thank you for all you did!

• Like 1