Self Guided Walking Tour of Old San Juan

Embem

I was able to get in and see who edited it and when - sadly it was today. 😞

The person seems to have wanted to make sure his/her favorite shopping place was listed but in the meantime wiped out a lot of great information including all but 3 of the food stops. I am trying to make my mind be reasonable about it all, but I'm not succeeding. The saying "no deed will go unpunished" comes to mind but perhaps that is the cynicism that comes with age! I just can't understand someone just changing someone else's work - it seriously made me feel sick. I am trying to recover what I can (and unfortunately having to learn about downloading map parts and combining, etc.).  If I thought I would have some free time tonight I was wrong, I am just so irritated!

I will get it back as best I can because I don't give up. But I had to at least make that post to make sure that everyone was clear about how this worked. There are so many "shared" files here at CC where it exists on the google drive only (concierge lists, many rolls calls use them) that I would have thought everyone knew how Google maps and other similar options work. I will assume it was a mistake, that at this point the result is the same no matter the reason. I will get it back, but I may need to resend an invitation to a new map so look for that.

Sorry for the grumbling, it is just hard to express the hours and hours of work I put into this. I didn't mind and I was SOOOO glad to share it. But to have that worked wipe out is just beyond a hurt and frustration right now. I will be working on it, so stay tuned 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

Everyone!

@grammyprf @amberjohn @Kuyaba @hm21999 @NateUpNorth @palolake @honeybear'scruisevacation

@ruimin @Embem @aquidneck1

@dianedebuda @OmaFromTexas @familyoutdoors @gometros

@fllighthouse  @nadasguys @lilchief27

@richbum @alex955  @Iron Treefrog @MrsKC08 

@foxymustang @Beachnut53 @MickeyManiac @let's go cruising

PLEASE do not make changes on the base map.  We all share this map and someone changing it changes it for all of us - and wipes out parts of it that I may not be able to recover and that's so much work. I just discovered that someone had removed some items in the map (not just turned them off, I mean DELETED locations, including most of the food places that were so carefully vetted) so that means the the entire map is changed for everyone.

I will do my best to recover the map, but please just skip the parts you don't want to go to but do NOT change the map for everyone else. I just hope that I can restore it but I'm not sure how I am going to go about doing that. Feeling pretty queasy right now 😞

Ohhh nooo..... I was hoping to use it "live" on our trip.... it was PERFECT!! Maybe whoever changed it could email you if they remember what they changed? Whoever it is, please and thank you!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

The person seems to have wanted to make sure his/her favorite shopping place was listed but in the meantime wiped out a lot of great information including all but 3 of the food stops. I am trying to make my mind be reasonable about it all, but I'm not succeeding. The saying "no deed will go unpunished" comes to mind but perhaps that is the cynicism that comes with age! I just can't understand someone just changing someone else's work - it seriously made me feel sick. I am trying to recover what I can (and unfortunately having to learn about downloading map parts and combining, etc.).  If I thought I would have some free time tonight I was wrong, I am just so irritated!

I will get it back as best I can because I don't give up. But I had to at least make that post to make sure that everyone was clear about how this worked. There are so many "shared" files here at CC where it exists on the google drive only (concierge lists, many rolls calls use them) that I would have thought everyone knew how Google maps and other similar options work. I will assume it was a mistake, that at this point the result is the same no matter the reason. I will get it back, but I may need to resend an invitation to a new map so look for that.

Sorry for the grumbling, it is just hard to express the hours and hours of work I put into this. I didn't mind and I was SOOOO glad to share it. But to have that worked wipe out is just beyond a hurt and frustration right now. I will be working on it, so stay tuned 🙂

That’s too bad, I Was so appreciate and excited to have your walking tour info, I’m sorry this happened, hopefully you can recover the information with out too much work.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

Oh no! I know a lot of hard work went into this map. You are a rock star and I appreciate all the work you put into this. We sail in about 58 days, so I had just opened it and then closed it and "starred" the email so that I could find it when needed. Thank you for what you did. And no need to apologize for "grumbling"...I would have done the same thing. Maybe the person didn't realize it would change the "live" document?

17 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

Oh no! I know a lot of hard work went into this map. You are a rock star and I appreciate all the work you put into this. We sail in about 58 days, so I had just opened it and then closed it and "starred" the email so that I could find it when needed. Thank you for what you did. And no need to apologize for "grumbling"...I would have done the same thing. Maybe the person didn't realize it would change the "live" document?

Oh I am sure they didn’t know. While it doesn’t change the outcome or time to remedy unfortunately, there is no doubt that they had *no* idea of the ramifications  (I was sure of that initially, but I have emailed with the individual and they confirmed that).  There are overall privacy controls, but those failed, so I had to do a person by person edit). It was a few hours yesterday of gathering info and adding/moving information but I think I have it 98% back to it’s original form.

I learned long ago when working on large complex files to save frequently. And while I did that, once the final product was completed I deleted many of those. Thankfully not all! I found the list of food locations and (hopefully) close to the last version of the alt route (it had some funky barriers and blocked areas requiring a lot of re-calculating so I really hope the one I found was super close to the last one). Little snag with figuring out how to do that since these file types are completely outside my realm of  experience but time and research solved that 🤔

So my fellow foodies, I think we will be just fine 🙂

* I don’t think I’ve ever been called a rock star 😂  don’t worry, I won’t let it go to my head - but I so appreciate the support on this from you and the others!

( I see you’re in Nashville, I love it there. I lived in the cool Springs area for a couple of years in the late 90s but then ended up returning to Atlanta.  I had to decide between buying property there or here so since family was here I turned my buggy around! But it’s beautiful there and I loved the vibe)

Edited by AlohaLivin

16 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

Everyone!

@grammyprf @amberjohn @Kuyaba @hm21999 @NateUpNorth @palolake @honeybear'scruisevacation

@ruimin @Embem @aquidneck1

@dianedebuda @OmaFromTexas @familyoutdoors @gometros

@fllighthouse  @nadasguys @lilchief27

@richbum @alex955  @Iron Treefrog @MrsKC08 

@foxymustang @Beachnut53 @MickeyManiac @let's go cruising

PLEASE do not make changes on the base map.  We all share this map and someone changing it changes it for all of us - and wipes out parts of it that I may not be able to recover and that's so much work. I just discovered that someone had removed some items in the map (not just turned them off, I mean DELETED locations, including most of the food places that were so carefully vetted) so that means the the entire map is changed for everyone.

I will do my best to recover the map, but please just skip the parts you don't want to go to but do NOT change the map for everyone else. I just hope that I can restore it but I'm not sure how I am going to go about doing that. Feeling pretty queasy right now 😞

That stinks that someone would  do that to your hard work. definitely appreciate your efforts and so sorry that this would happen.

Google docs does keep a history of changes. You should be able to recover to before they made the change.

Edited by gometros

8 hours ago, gometros said:

That stinks that someone would  do that to your hard work. definitely appreciate your efforts and so sorry that this would happen.

Google docs does keep a history of changes. You should be able to recover to before they made the change.

It kept only the history of the change being made that I could find, but not what was removed or a way to restore (at least that I could locate). It seemed to be like a file that had been saved in new form, once closed out it is gone 😕 I will go check to see what I can find again, maybe I missed something.

@gnargnarz  hi! I will be glad to share it, but right now I am trying to get it restored 🙂 Hopefully soon!

The new map is up!  👌 And I just emailed it again to everyone that I had listed before (or at least that was my intent). Do let me know if you do not get the google maps email dated today 9/20. It should be 99% - 100% as it was before (although the default background is the street level map). Again, I hope that everyone gets something good from it and has a wonderful journey :classic_smile:

1. @gnargnarz I also included you in the current map so you should also get an email. 
  2. The CC user with an email address that begins "Amrsprfmom" - I hit an error message as a non-google account holder when sending the new map; I assume there was a second email in the list that you received (since I would have hit that problem the first time too), but just in case I did want to note that google asked for an email associated with a google account (even if not a gmail one). 
Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 5:09 AM, AlohaLivin said:

I very much hope it will add something positive to your visit! Take breaks and cut it short if you need to (the optional shorter ending is in the layers menu - 3 parts to it; but you can make your own optional ending by just skipping parts, small or large!). 

@familyoutdoors  I will get that off to you as soon as I return from work 😊

Do I assume the second part of that email is gmail?

Thank you and yes, gmail.  I can't wait to print it out or something at work tomorrow.

Much appreciated!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, familyoutdoors said:

Thank you and yes, gmail.  I can't wait to print it out or something at work tomorrow.

Much appreciated!

And save it to your google drive so it will be handy and ready for your vacation (I think there is a section for “maps/files shared with you.”  You should also be able to use it offline if you download it to your phone’s memory before you board the ship 😊

• Like 1

It turns out looking at the google drive change logs that people made edits in some way to the walking tour (one took out the food, but others made at least 1 edit since google maps lists the  google account name/email addressees of anyone making an edit. ☹️ A few made several edits on different days. I’m not going to call anybody out, but I assume they realize it occurred and at least a few had to have known that the tour I created was mine and it was shared with them and others vs. given (and that a change by one changes it for all). 

So at the risk of repeating things  - PLEASE do not make changes to the tour. Please! If you do then all these other people won’t be able to use it and that wouldn’t be fair to them nor to me.  😊

Edited by AlohaLivin

10 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

It turns out looking at the google drive change logs that people made edits in some way to the walking tour (one took out the food, but others made at least 1 edit since google maps lists the  google account name/email addressees of anyone making an edit. ☹️ A few made several edits on different days. I’m not going to call anybody out, but I assume they realize it occurred and at least a few had to have known that the tour I created was mine and it was shared with them and others vs. given (and that a change by one changes it for all). 

So at the risk of repeating things  - PLEASE do not make changes to the tour. Please! If you do then all these other people won’t be able to use it and that wouldn’t be fair to them nor to me.  😊

Thanks but this is too detailed for us,,,We will just walk around as we are in our 70's. 🙂

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, aquidneck1 said:

Hi,  Thanks for fixing this but when  you give people permission, there is a drop down that allows you to set view only.  This would solve your problem.   You can also go back and change everyone's settings to view only.  Hope this helps.  

Thanks! Yes, it was set up that way, which is why I was confounded. When they were sent the option was set to 'view' - in the new map I had gone down the list and verified each to be sure (and hopefully nothing differs from that). I had assumed Google sent them as I had set them during the sharing process, but had not checked each individually in the shared list since there were quite a number and given my patient schedule and just other important life things I was not able to spend much more time on it than I did (again, assuming it was done correctly). It is what it is, as it goes, but it simply wasn't too pleasant and time I did not have. I chalk it up to Murphy's Law LOL But I do so appreciate that you wanted to help, very much!!

@grammyprf  I can understand  that 🙂 But do take a look at the food locations and descriptions and see if you might not find one or two that look tasty to you (most are quite close in to the port, in the SW section of Old San Juan. I hope that you enjoy your trip!

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 1

I received the email for the updated map.  When I got the original email, the invitation was for editing.  I looked quickly at what you had done, but was too spooked that not being a proficient Google maps user that I would accidently change something.  So sorry you had a problem, but sad that my caution was valid.

25 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Thanks! Yes, it was set up that way, which is why I was confounded. When they were sent the option was set to 'view' - in the new map I had gone down the list and verified each to be sure (and hopefully nothing differs from that). I had assumed Google sent them as I had set them during the sharing process, but had not checked each individually in the shared list since there were quite a number and given my patient schedule and just other important life things I was not able to spend much more time on it than I did (again, assuming it was done correctly). It is what it is, as it goes, but it simply wasn't too pleasant and time I did not have. I chalk it up to Murphy's Law LOL But I do so appreciate that you wanted to help, very much!!

@grammyprf  I can understand  that 🙂 But do take a look at the food locations and descriptions and see if you might not find one or two that look tasty to you (most are quite close in to the port, in the SW section of Old San Juan. I hope that you enjoy your trip!

On a budget so eat on the ship but thanks! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dianedebuda said:

I received the email for the updated map.  When I got the original email, the invitation was for editing.  I looked quickly at what you had done, but was too spooked that not being a proficient Google maps user that I would accidently change something.  So sorry you had a problem, but sad that my caution was valid.

yes, and no idea why. They were sent out view.  I am glad it is restored so we can use it on our vacation and everyone else has the option to use it to!

On 9/20/2019 at 7:21 PM, AlohaLivin said:

The new map is up!  👌 And I just emailed it again to everyone that I had listed before (or at least that was my intent). Do let me know if you do not get the google maps email dated today 9/20. It should be 99% - 100% as it was before (although the default background is the street level map). Again, I hope that everyone gets something good from it and has a wonderful journey :classic_smile:

1. @gnargnarz I also included you in the current map so you should also get an email. 
  2. The CC user with an email address that begins "Amrsprfmom" - I hit an error message as a non-google account holder when sending the new map; I assume there was a second email in the list that you received (since I would have hit that problem the first time too), but just in case I did want to note that google asked for an email associated with a google account (even if not a gmail one). 

I would love for you to send me your map as well.  Thank you.

23 minutes ago, amzgirl said:

I would love for you to send me your map as well.  Thank you.

Hi 😊 I am glad to share it with you.  To do that I need an email address that is associated with Google acct (I let google maps know that I am sharing and google itself sends the invitation to share). 

Edited by AlohaLivin