Self Guided Walking Tour of Old San Juan

Embem

Hi! @AlohaLivin I just found your thread/post today. I would love to use the Three Amigos map, if you're still okay with sharing your hard work! It's our first visit to PR in a couple weeks and I think your map sounds like my vague plan! Please use jenn.gcbf at Gmail for com. 

Thank you for sharing your hard work. I've read through the whole thread so hopefully won't mess up anything!

2 hours ago, etoilefj said:

Hi 🙂 I will be glad to share it and will go get it in now. Make sure to read the info a page or so back about the tour (and also some elements apparently may not work offline, so check that and be prepared to be online). We so loved the week that we spend in BC the summer of 2018. My brother in law is from BC (maybe a couple of hours NE of there), but this was just a getting to know Vancouver trip (and Bowen island) and we loved it!

17 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Hi 🙂 I will be glad to share it and will go get it in now. Make sure to read the info a page or so back about the tour (and also some elements apparently may not work offline, so check that and be prepared to be online). We so loved the week that we spend in BC the summer of 2018. My brother in law is from BC (maybe a couple of hours NE of there), but this was just a getting to know Vancouver trip (and Bowen island) and we loved it!

Hi 

Thanks I got the email link, did reply as I used a email variation on here so drive didn't like me clicking through from my real email.

What part of BC is your brother in law from? I've been to lots of parts of the province but having feel living in Victoria for over half my life (!). It's pretty beautiful! If you're ever coming this way hit me up for some suggestions! 

49 minutes ago, etoilefj said:

Hi 

Thanks I got the email link, did reply as I used a email variation on here so drive didn't like me clicking through from my real email.

What part of BC is your brother in law from? I've been to lots of parts of the province but having feel living in Victoria for over half my life (!). It's pretty beautiful! If you're ever coming this way hit me up for some suggestions! 

No worries, it's only a notification. What matters is that you access it from the account with the Gmail/Drive/Maps for that account. It won't transfer it to another, it unfortunately must be related to a google account.

I love what BC offers - I might freeze to death most of the year and be miserable, but in mid June... just wow!  Stanley Park is amazing. Of course it might be like here, we have so many options truly but with work etc no one is getting to visit anything. Still, I love the air there - I spend a summer in Olympia Washington when I was 16 and it will always remain a favorite memory (except the slugs, but...).

He's from about Penticton, BC. I remember his mother suggested that my sister and I visit just us so I looked it up. Seems like it was about a 2 hour or so drive from a "real" airport.  They are more than bicoastal - the are BC to FL/USA. I guess they don't mind road trips as much as I do  LOL

Hi,

I just started reading through this thread and your map and notes sound amazing and just what I am looking for, for our family trip.

I would love to see what you had mapped out for  "The Amigos Take San Juan".

If possible please send to bradandjo@sympatico.ca

Thanks a ton.

Edited by London Cruisers
did not want a date

It's 11/5/19 and I am doing a quick post to make sure people aren't wondering what is going on. My mother died on Saturday evening and we are overwhelmed with tasks. I will return to check requests, but it will not be this week most likely.

Lynn

I have just added @HappiestWhenCruising and @babyclaytonmom to the shared list - you should get an email, but regardless it will be in  your shared maps in your google drive/google maps. Please check the information (most recent) in the thread about the tour (and note that some parts may not download for use offline due to google limitations, if possible you may want to be online for using it). Enjoy.

Lynn

5 hours ago, winock said:

@AlohaLivin I would love to get a copy of your tour (winock@yahoo.com). Thank you for sharing!!

I tried, but I got this error message - a good connected email is required to access google maps.

Sorry, you cannot share with winock@yahoo.com because they do not have a Google Account.

2 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

I tried, but I got this error message - a good connected email is required to access google maps.

Sorry, you cannot share with winock@yahoo.com because they do not have a Google Account.

Can you try this email: sweeptakes89@gmail.com? Thanks!!

On 8/29/2019 at 8:32 AM, AlohaLivin said:

@FionaMG  shared this thread with our roll call. A year ago when we booked another San Juan port cruise I decided to do as you are doing and look around for a walking tour. But I didn’t find options that I thought were ideal for us (for example I didn’t need to see both forts set a long distance from one another) and we wanted to mix in some shopping areas and some amazing food finds that I had run across in my research. It seemed to take forever to compile it and lay it out, but I finally pulled together a tour with all we wanted via google maps (I called it the “three amigos take San Juan” 😂). I don’t know that it would fit your needs, but I am happy to share it. Have a great time!

Going on our first cruise end of January, San Juan being our first Port and we are not sure what to expect. Is it possible we could have a copy of your Tour as it would be very helpful. Thank you for your kindness in offering to share. Lynne

roy.lynne@sympatico.ca

Since it’s hard to search for this info in the thread once it’s pages back, I am posting it again for the more recent cruisers with whom I have shared the THREE AMIGOS IN SAN JUAN WALKING TOUR -

(I am glad to share it, but I please leave only email addresses associated with Google Accounts as Google will not allow me to share it otherwise - that will save me some time. Thanks!)

1.    The main tour is in 4 parts (that is because each segment had a limit to the number of stops and some “stops” include not only important locations on the tour but also various starting and stopping points for a given area such as the shopping area or stops that are large geographically).

2.    I put photos and a description of each stop on the map (just click on it to open) so you will have the historical background and location information readily available to you (and can completely annoy your teenagers by reading it to them :classic_laugh:).  

3.    To create the tour I thoroughly researched Old San Juan looking for what I thought were the most worthwhile historical stops, the most interesting cultural stops, and some of the best food, drink, and shopping options available (at least by the preponderance of the “review” evidence!).  Please note that the food stops exclude any dinner or expensive dining options.  I also tried for variety and authenticity, particularly for the food and drink stops – there is a place to get every possible kind of cocoa-related food and beverage, but also one of the most famous and highly rated bars in the world (people say it's very hard to find, but I located the best directions that I could for us).  

4.    The "long" route is only around 3 miles in total with many built in breaks.  But be aware that there are some cobblestone streets in the old part of the city and the south to north walk is often uphill in Old San Juan.

5.    There is also an optional shorter route built in to the tour  - if you open the layers menu, that option is at the bottom and can be turned on simply by clicking the box next to the 3 segments that make up that route.  Please turn it “off” (the shorter route layers) as soon as you complete the route so as not to potentially confuse other users who might be sharing the map on that day (it may be relatively unlikely that there will be two groups at once, but there definitely could be).

Other Notes:

• Points on the route may seem to have an illogical track, but I set it up to minimize back tracking and to avoid areas that may have barriers not visible on a 2D map. There were 1-2 areas where the layout of the area was unclear (even though I actually traced the entire route on Google Earth looking for places where there were blocks/issues not showing on the 2D map and looked at a number of images and videos for the same purpose). So while I believe that the route that I selected is clear and passable, it is impossible to know 100% if there could be some minor or even major barrier that could not be seen on images/google earth or if or when changes might be made along the route.

• Related to the above note that changes are possible, I have been told that the Paseo de las Sombrillas has been closed at some periods of time since the political demonstrations of 2019 and that the parasols themselves may have been changed.  This stop is the street of hanging parasols that were put up by the citizens of San Juan to demonstrate the strength and resilience of the PR people after the devastation from Hurricane Maria and I hope that each of you will be able to see it on your visit. 

• We will be there late in November 2019 and I will verify the route in person and notate or fix any issues that we find at that time. 

• Please play around with the tour/map before you go so operating it is easy when you get there. 

• One reason that I choose Google Maps for my Three Amigo’s Walking Tour is that Google claims the maps will operate at 100% offline.  But that is only partly true - some elements of the tour may NOT be operable offline so test it ahead of time if you intend to go offline. Note, however, that most cell plans from the US include PR as it is a US territory. But, in case you are interested the directions from Google for using any map offline are below: 
  1. On your iPhone or iPad, open the Google Maps app.
  2. Make sure you're connected to the Internet and signed into Google.
  3. Find the map you have saved (in your google drive or google maps app or site).
  4. At the bottom, tap the name or address of the place --- tap More ...
  5. Select Download offline map, then Download.

I do hope that the tour will help to make your visit more special as it was created with love for my family to have the best visit possible - the best food, best shopping, and a good sampling of San Juan's most important history and culture.  WEPA!

Lynn

• Like 1