Skagway - Self Drive Klondike Highway

fourcruisin

Hi,

We are renting a car in Skagway and planning on driving the South Klondike highway in lieu of taking a ship sponsored excursion.  I was reading Murray's Guide and now I'm having 2nd thoughts.  It seems like there are some dangerous areas on the highway like steep declines and curves.  My dh will be doing the driving and I don't want him to be stressed out and not able to enjoy the drive.

For anyone that has done this on their own, please put my mind at ease??????????

Thanks.

Edited by fourcruisin

We have driven on the Klondike highway from Whitehorse to Skagway in our own vehicle, and from Skagway to Emerald Lake in a rental vehicle.  I wouldn't describe the highway as having "steep declines" or dangerous curves.  It is built to North American road standards.  Renting a car in Skagway is an excellent idea.

• Like 2

I've done the drive alone in a rental car and had no issues with the road. Using Murray's guide is wonderful and I would not hesitate doing the trip. The views are spectacular and since you are doing the driving, you can determine where you stop and for how long...

• Like 1

When planning any drive on the Klondike highway, consider that summertime in Alaska is road repair season.  With the road being mostly one lane each direction, road repairs limiting sections to only one way could cause delays.

• Like 1

I've done this many times and sure would not call it dangerous. Basically very little traffic, it's not like driving on a freeway at home. Most of the time you will probably only be doing 45 mph with no other cars in sight

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fourcruisin said:

Thanks again to everyone that responded and put my mind at ease.  We have been looking forward to this trip for a long time and we are very excited!

Make sure to stop in at The Sourdough Bakery in Carcross for some lunch. The food was a great break. Check their hours because they close at the end of the season. The scenery is the big reason to either rent a car or take a small van tour. I found it some of the best on our 16 days in May. You will love it but plan for many photo stops and keep your eyes peeled for Bear, Moose, and other wildlife. I found the most interesting aspect along the way when we stopped at a very small (1 sq mi) desert.

sourdough-bakery-carcross.jpg

carcross-desert.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ColleenandDanny said:

We will be renting a jeep from DIY 10/1 and i'm both excited and nervous.  It looks like best approach is driving all the way to emerald lake and then stopping on the way back.

Don't worry you will be stopping on the way up when you see the views. lol   Don't worry you will have lots of time to stop on the way back also

• 3 weeks later...

Update.  We rented a car from Affordable Car Rental in Skagway.  Nils had the car waiting for us as promised.  We drove up the Klondike Highway past Emerald Lake and it was the best thing we did. The scenery was amazing.  The weather was great and we were able to stop when and where we wanted.  I'll definitely do the same thing next time we get to Skagway.

Thanks again to everyone that responded and put my mind at ease!

5 hours ago, ColleenandDanny said:

Hi! Do you mind sharing where you stopped along the way that were notable?

We stopped at many of the "turn out" areas just to marvel at the sheer beauty of the views. 

There are many photo ops right along the highway including the Yukon and  Welcome to Alaska signs.  We spotted sheep on a mountain side so we stopped to take pics of those.  We spotted bears along the road so we pulled over to watch them.

We stopped at view points for Tutshi lake and the Carcross desert.  We also stopped at Carcross where there is a visitor's center and some small shops.

We stopped at Emerald lake and went about 4 - 5 miles further up the highway from there but then turned around and headed back.  There are 2 sled dog camps where you can stop but we decided not to because we wanted to get back to Skagway.

I would urge you to checkout Murray's guide if you plan on driving the highway.  It's a comprehensive guide that has tons of information about the road and it's interest points.

I hope you have great trip!

Edited by fourcruisin
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Totally do it! We did the drive and it was so scenic and beautiful. We stopped at Emerald Lake and then turned around. I had read lots of review that said the scenery past it was nothing new. I don't recall anything in the drive that was super stressful. My most favorite memory (in addition to the Hubbard Glacier) from the trip. 

6Skagway18.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Yes, I am resurrecting an old thread, which has some very good information in it regarding our upcoming drive along the South Klondike Hwy.  We have a car rental on May 8th 2024, with plans to see Emerald Lake and various sites.  I'd appreciate some general input (as weather is variable)... is the Hwy mostly clear at this time of year or will it be snow & ice?  We will be checking 511Yukon prior to the trip, but firsthand accounts are helpful.  Thx!

13 hours ago, julia said:

Yes, I am resurrecting an old thread, which has some very good information in it regarding our upcoming drive along the South Klondike Hwy.  We have a car rental on May 8th 2024, with plans to see Emerald Lake and various sites.  I'd appreciate some general input (as weather is variable)... is the Hwy mostly clear at this time of year or will it be snow & ice?  We will be checking 511Yukon prior to the trip, but firsthand accounts are helpful.  Thx!

We did it May 17th last year. Though I did it with Chilkoot van's. I have driven it before around the same time.

Emerald Lake may still have ice on it. It will still be pretty (it was ice free on the 17th last year but I have been up around the same time previous years and it has been icy). Other lakes may be icy. There will still be snow. The street will be clear as @wolfie11 indicated. I think it will be a pretty drive for you.

IMG_2614.thumb.jpeg.5ef93c7ed96e7ca73a390225c8fdd820.jpegIMG_2678.thumb.jpeg.cb1749d62cfd4126133b88008f9e7274.jpegIMG_2633.thumb.jpeg.e27d6db8d3d6e5281a9af844fff04422.jpegIMG_2625.thumb.jpeg.d8d050214ae536122624235f7111b324.jpeg

• Like 1

Thx for the replies.  We'll enjoy seeing snow in May, but hopefully the road surface will be safe and dry.  We've been to Alaska several times, but always in September.

On 2/14/2024 at 10:57 AM, julia said:

Thx for the replies.  We'll enjoy seeing snow in May, but hopefully the road surface will be safe and dry.  We've been to Alaska several times, but always in September.

Unless it is raining --- the road surface will be dry. Any snow will be cleared. It is a very safe drive.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

My mom and I just did this May 2023.  It was amazing.  The speed limit is low and at no point did we feel unsafe.  There are some massive drop off points but they have very large pull over areas and rails so you can very safely pull over, get out, and take pictures.  The drive was one of our favorite "excursions" we did.  The views are amazing.  There are several videos on youtube of people doing the drive.  Watch them and your mind will be at ease.  Have fun!

• Like 1