People late to ship

JoeFan

Today in Cozumel HOS docked next to Celebriry Equinox.  Equinox waited 20 extra minutes when they pulled up the ramp. The ship was fully untethered. When 3 people casually walk up and pleased their case. They put the ramp back down while everyone watching booed them.

And now it’s 7 minutes after our all aboard and people are still casually walking up. Man, I am so paranoid, we got on 90 minutes before. 

Ww are not seasoned Cruisers. This just blows my mind. 

• Like 3

James Van Fleet said they should have something to say today. But Captain Johnny just made an announcement 5:30 PM asking for another day. Nothing definite as they have reports storm might make landfall further north. No changes as of right now. 

Anxiously waiting ourselves  

I've watched this happen a number of times.  Sometimes it was too late as the ship was already pushing out and they got left behind.  I've seen the ramp put down for late arrivals to Jeers and once saw the pilot boat go back for someone and bring them out.

31 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

Today in Cozumel HOS docked next to Celebriry Equinox.  Equinox waited 20 extra minutes when they pulled up the ramp. The ship was fully untethered. When 3 people casually walk up and pleased their case. They put the ramp back down while everyone watching booed them.

And now it’s 7 minutes after our all aboard and people are still casually walking up. Man, I am so paranoid, we got on 90 minutes before. 

big difference between sail time and all aboard.

Late for sail away, you're STUPID!

Late for all aboard, you're STILL STUPID!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoeFan said:

Just search 'Pier runners' on YouTube.  Don't forget to make popcorn before you get started.  3 hours later you won't so amazed that it happens...

• Like 2

OP...this occasionally happens but the particular scene you observed on a ship your weren't on and the passengers involved may have had extenuating circumstances you weren't aware of.

We have waited many times for passengers on ship booked excursions and/or ship booked airport transfers when the flight they were on arrived late.

• Like 1

I think I've told this story before.  Port stop in San Juan.   Pulled out into channel. Captain came on announced we were stopping to wait for passengers.  Of course we all dashed to open decks ( pre balcony days) and watched as the pilot boat brought two teenagers out to the ship.  I figure that is only reason we waited or why pilot brought them out.  Figure parents hugged them and then probably said a few things when they got the bill from the pilot. Not a freebie is my guess.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

OP...this occasionally happens but the particular scene you observed on a ship your weren't on and the passengers involved may have had extenuating circumstances you weren't aware of.

We have waited many times for passengers on ship booked excursions and/or ship booked airport transfers when the flight they were on arrived late.

Agreed. I don’t know the circumstances. The ship did wait and wait and wait. Then finally pulled up. I am sure they got back on. The boat was untied and ready to go.  Literally the ship was pushing off 1 minute later. 

It seems in the old days, before computer records of who's on board, the ship tended to sail on time and people were left behind.  Since we now "bong" on and off, they have an accurate record of who's not on board.  During a Captain's Q & A session on Freedom a number of years ago, the Captain explained that they will page the missing people (we've all heard that).  Then they will contact local cab companies, the police, and hospitals.  If someone is confirmed in on their way, they'll consider how long and try to stay.  However every minute they delay is costly to the company in additional fuel to make the next port, etc.  So it's important to take the number of the ship or port agent with you if you do your own tour so that you can call with an ETA if you are running late.  
I will say, in the old days "runner watching" was quite the "sport," especially in Cozumel where the bars are many.  😎

4 hours ago, JoeFan said:

We have been late departing Cozumel on several occasions as the Captain was waiting for Excursion guests who were returning from the mainland on a ferry.

Edited by Scotty G
  • Like 1

It's just plain rude IMO.  It's like when you're on a tour and the guide says, "Okay, everyone be back in the bus in 20 mins." and there are always people who think they are special and just can't make it back in time.  They walk on like they haven't imposed on anyone else.  It's just incredibly selfish IMO.  I can understand an emergency arising.  Those people usually apologize and walk very hurriedly to the bus or ship.  It's the ones that saunter and have an "I don't care" attitude that drive me nuts.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

...So it's important to take the number of the ship or port agent with you if you do your own tour so that you can call with an ETA if you are running late....

That's good advice for newbies.  I always take a picture of the front of the daily paper and keep it in my cell phone for that day with all the pertinent information about port agent's location, phone, time to return to the ship, etc.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JoeFan said:

James Van Fleet said they should have something to say today. But Captain Johnny just made an announcement 5:30 PM asking for another day. Nothing definite as they have reports storm might make landfall further north. No changes as of right now. 

Anxiously waiting ourselves  

We are currently on the Harmony. Lots of rumors but nothing has been determined yet as they want 1 additional day to gauge the updated storm track before deciding what to do. Maybe we will go back to Cozumel and wait out the Hurricane. We can pretty much guess that there is NO WAY this ship will return to Port Canaveral on Sunday September 1st. 115 MPH winds and rain and God only knows how much of this area will be under forced evacuations. Even Orlando Airport could experience 100MPH winds Sunday the 1st. Its hard to believe that while conditions will improve weather wise on Monday, there will be a lot of downed trees, debris, lack of electricity, gas for vehicles, etc so my bet is that we might not dock until Tuesday or later. Thankfully, we have enough medications for additional days/nights on the ship. At this point we hope for the best. My biggest concern is my poor car that is sitting in a parking lot literally 1/8 of a mile from the Ocean. I hope the car is still there and not damaged, whenever we do return to Port Canaveral. 

We normally board our cats. But they only have webcams on the dogs. So we boarded the dog and kept the cats at home and have people visiting twice a day to feed and pet them. And we set up 8 Wyze cams to keep an eye on them. 

Its great being able to see them 24/7. 

13863C85-403F-469D-94E9-E501E3A320E1.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JoeFan said:

In Cozumel last 3 times was there we were late, ship left late. Was on ship sponsored shore excursion. Can be common with the Tenders returning

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eaflorida said:

We are currently on the Harmony. Lots of rumors but nothing has been determined yet as they want 1 additional day to gauge the updated storm track before deciding what to do. Maybe we will go back to Cozumel and wait out the Hurricane. We can pretty much guess that there is NO WAY this ship will return to Port Canaveral on Sunday September 1st. 115 MPH winds and rain and God only knows how much of this area will be under forced evacuations. Even Orlando Airport could experience 100MPH winds Sunday the 1st. Its hard to believe that while conditions will improve weather wise on Monday, there will be a lot of downed trees, debris, lack of electricity, gas for vehicles, etc so my bet is that we might not dock until Tuesday or later. Thankfully, we have enough medications for additional days/nights on the ship. At this point we hope for the best. My biggest concern is my poor car that is sitting in a parking lot literally 1/8 of a mile from the Ocean. I hope the car is still there and not damaged, whenever we do return to Port Canaveral. 

Maybe, Maybe not, too early to tell. Use to Cruise this week every yr, many Hurricanes. Even had 4 named week I sailed in mid 90's. Even times when guaranteed dead hit on port of, missed.... At least you are aware. 25-30yrs ago was no Internet. Anyways good Luck

8 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

That's good advice for newbies.  I always take a picture of the front of the daily paper and keep it in my cell phone for that day with all the pertinent information about port agent's location, phone, time to return to the ship, etc.  

Very good point... take a map or paper with location the of the ship on it.  My experience, we were in Athens and grabbed a taxi back to Piraeus where the cruise port is.  I told the driver (who didn't speak English) we needed to go to Piraeus Cruise Port.  He first quoted a rate that was too high.  I questioned it but he insisted.  My wife and her friend said "just let's go."  "Ok" I said. Well, we headed back on a different route, no big deal, there's lots of ways to get to the port.  I was fine (ok a bit worried but feeling confident) until he turned off toward the AIRPORT!!!   So I said "cruise port not airport!"  He looked at me like I was speaking in a foreign language or something...well I guess I was.   So finally he pulls over and I show him the location of Piraeus on my Map App in my phone (luckily I had one).  He went "no..no...airport!"  I said "no...no...CRUISE port!"  So, a bit upset, he raced (and I mean RACED) us to the Cruise Port.  We decided it was as much our fault as his as, like I said, I knew the quoted rate was too high (should have been more insistent).  Anyway we decided we'd through a VERY NICE tip in (pretty much covered his loss of time). He was eternally grateful, and also found out what the English words "cruise port" meant.   😂

So now I ALWAYS take a map with the location of the port on it as well as the port agent's number.   They are usually available at Guest Services or,  as you said, you can take a pic and carry in your phone. 😎

13 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

It seems in the old days, before computer records of who's on board, the ship tended to sail on time and people were left behind.  Since we now "bong" on and off, they have an accurate record of who's not on board.  During a Captain's Q & A session on Freedom a number of years ago, the Captain explained that they will page the missing people (we've all heard that).  Then they will contact local cab companies, the police, and hospitals.  If someone is confirmed in on their way, they'll consider how long and try to stay.  However every minute they delay is costly to the company in additional fuel to make the next port, etc.  So it's important to take the number of the ship or port agent with you if you do your own tour so that you can call with an ETA if you are running late.  
I will say, in the old days "runner watching" was quite the "sport," especially in Cozumel where the bars are many.  😎

Also, the fuel savings bonus the captains supposedly get. That seems like the primary reason to me why they sound so irritated on the PA system when the ship is delayed leaving port. On a Freedom cruise a couple of years ago, we were an hour delayed leaving Port Canaveral waiting on 12-15 people because of a delayed flight (they must have been booked through air2sea). RCI must have decided that is was cheaper for them to wait vs. flying them all to the next port. However the captain sounded like he was becoming unglued as the minutes ticked by... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, fletch1027 said:

However the captain sounded like he was becoming unglued as the minutes ticked by... 🙂

None of the crew likes dealing with late arriving passengers because the delay is inconveniencing everyone else, the delays add to the port and fuel costs, and there isn't much slack in the schedules to make up for lost time. Passengers are sometimes given warnings that if they are late a second time the ship will not wait for them again. They are quite serious about it.

When Captain Johnny was on the Freedom some years ago, we always got a kick out of his usual speech about people coming back to the ship late.  

He would announce to pax  when we got to a port of call...."If you are going to be late coming back to the ship, be sure to take a camera with you, so you will have a beautiful picture of the aft end of the Freedom as she leaves you behind at the dock".  He got his point across and did not wait long for late comers.  

Does he still do that? 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, fletch1027 said:

Also, the fuel savings bonus the captains supposedly get. That seems like the primary reason to me why they sound so irritated on the PA system when the ship is delayed leaving port. On a Freedom cruise a couple of years ago, we were an hour delayed leaving Port Canaveral waiting on 12-15 people because of a delayed flight (they must have been booked through air2sea). RCI must have decided that is was cheaper for them to wait vs. flying them all to the next port. However the captain sounded like he was becoming unglued as the minutes ticked by... 🙂

It probably cost a lot of money per hour just in additional port charges for a delay.   You have Harbor Pilots, Port workers, sometimes tugs that are just sitting there waiting.   They also have to worry about their schedule.

Rule number one: Always bring you daily compass with you into the port. On it, there will be the port authority's phone number. If you know you aren't going to make it, call the port authority and have them call the ship on your ETA. The ship may wait if the time isn't too long. The key is communicating with the port and the ship. If you communicate you ETA to the port authority, at least the ship has some idea. If there's no communication, the Captain doesn't know if you'll be five minutes late, or 5 hours late.

27 minutes ago, island lady said:

When Captain Johnny was on the Freedom some years ago, we always got a kick out of his usual speech about people coming back to the ship late.  

He would announce to pax  when we got to a port of call...."If you are going to be late coming back to the ship, be sure to take a camera with you, so you will have a beautiful picture of the aft end of the Freedom as she leaves you behind at the dock".  He got his point across and did not wait long for late comers.  

Does he still do that? 😎

Yes, and he also says "we never leave anyone behind...they leave us."

• Like 2