Hurricane Dorian

BlueHerons

Not projected to hit until Monday AM, if it does come.  If your flying down keep an eye on the weather and call your cruise line.  The cone is currently showing the entire state, but as it gets closer it will be better to project.  Weather channel lives to hype everyone up down here.

28 minutes ago, rucruisn2 said:

Not projected to hit until Monday AM, if it does come.  If your flying down keep an eye on the weather and call your cruise line.  The cone is currently showing the entire state, but as it gets closer it will be better to project.  Weather channel lives to hype everyone up down here.

The airlines and cruise lines will be effected before Monday.

Thanks Blue Herons for posting about travel down here in Florida for this long weekend.  It sure be an interesting one.  Stay safe!

Weekend plans down here for any travel are going to be iffy for all cruisers. 

Unfortunately airlines have not made any modifications yet.  We had friends flying in from NYC for the weekend and they can't change.  Our son was flying into Orlando and he can't change yet and has a 7 am flight Friday.  

For anyone coming into Florida, keep paying attention to the news.  I have always found Jeff masters on weather underground to be very level headed with his reports and he is usually spot on with his predictions. 

Many thanks to BlueHerons for keeping us informed. We are currently sailing in Europe aboard Celebrity Reflection (we left since August 11), and have been monitoring Dorian’s path as we live in a barrier island in Boca. Several CC members will be flying out either Orlando or Fort Lauderdale this weekend to catch flights for Amsterdam for their September 6 sailing. We get our info from Tropical Tidbits. 

Well Steerage Joe's pic, appears to coincide with latest.  Thus cruisers leaving from or coming back to Florida ports over the weekend should not have any issues.  Cruises to Bahamas could have impact getting here, but if it misses Nassau, no real issues.  Direction is going to depend on the action of the highs in the Atlantic and over NW FL and SE Fl.   The track path squeezes between the latter two.  But could move north.  The cone is the fudge factor for the modeling error, gets wider the longer forward it looks  The projected track is simply the center of the cone.  Time est are based on current speed, could be faster (less intense) or slower( more intense). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteerageJoe said:

Latest forecast (NBC) shows it may come ashore near Melbourne as a Cat 3. But who knows yet.

I live in Cape Canaveral and we are getting ready...

2019-08-29-WEATHER-2.jpg

My friend's cottage that I stay in is across Atlantic Ave. from the beach in Cocoa Beach.  She spent a lot of time fixing it back up from the last hurricane that hit the area, just finishing it last Spring.  I just hope it doesn't get damaged again.  Stay safe up there!  

check back in about 48 hours ( 5pm Sat ) for a much better when , where, and at what strength - currently projected as a Cat 4 - 135 mph

still selfishly hoping that the high pressure weakens and Dorian takes a big swing to the NE - a very common path for prior hurricanes

my weatherman just took off his coat ... I'll get really concerned when the tie come off, and sleeves rolled up

and yes ... we've got gas, water , some ice, flashlights , etc, etc, etc ready

I really don't think we'll get an accurate area where it hits land until Sat.  People here are going nuts at the gas and grocery stores..  I saw one man loading up on 15 huge cases of bottled water!  I sure hope he was doing this for some on his friends or family. 

You would think the faucet didn't already have potable water.  It always blows me away watching the poor planners scurrying around like crazies a couple of days before a hurricane.  It's as if they weren't aware that Florida get hurricanes...

10 hours ago, BNBR said:

You would think the faucet didn't already have potable water.  It always blows me away watching the poor planners scurrying around like crazies a couple of days before a hurricane.  It's as if they weren't aware that Florida get hurricanes...

Your are so right!  Always kills me.  We have lived here for 14 years now and it amazes me when a storm is coming how the hoarding begins.

Airlines and cruises are starting to react now. Still no accurate way to say where it will hit in Florida but probability of it hitting Florida is extremely high at this point. 

Anything after Saturday for flights and cruises is likely going to be modified/cancelled/delayed. I expect depending on the track that airlines will want to start having little to no operations on Florida's east coast by Sunday. But we will see how the track goes. 

Just talked to a nice family looking for off-site parking during their cruise starting today from Port Canaveral. My advice to them was to open the wallet and park in the garage at the cruise terminal. At least the car will be high up and sheltered in a solid structure.

This is not the time to park anywhere near the beach at a hotel or off-site lot. The Sheraton 4 Points is the only hotel with a parking garage so that's another option but I would want my car close to the ship when it returns!   

Edited by SteerageJoe
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, rucruisn2 said:

Your are so right!  Always kills me.  We have lived here for 14 years now and it amazes me when a storm is coming how the hoarding begins.

I always keep those cheap giveaway re-usable water bottles I get at conventions, vacations, etc.  Keep them in a bin.  Just fill them all up - don't have to worry about buying cases and cases of water.  Maybe one case... 

45 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I always keep those cheap giveaway re-usable water bottles I get at conventions, vacations, etc.  Keep them in a bin.  Just fill them all up - don't have to worry about buying cases and cases of water.  Maybe one case... 

Exactly!  I bought a bunch of 7 gallon water containers on Amazon that I keep handy.  We'll fill up and store 70+ gallons of water.  The rush to get bottled water is insane!  Even fill up zip locks with water and put them in the freezer.  It's so easy to fill all sorts of containers that make hoarding bottled water unnecessary.  I do hoard fuel though... over 100 gallons!

54 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Don't ask my why, but since we moved down here (Palm Beach) We don't drink the tap water, make coffee with it or cook with it.  Just doesn't taste good.  We have water on hand, but certainly not 25 cases!  Looks like we'll be eating lots of cold food. Their saying we could lose or power for weeks, if that happens, I out of here.

40 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Exactly!  I bought a bunch of 7 gallon water containers on Amazon that I keep handy.  We'll fill up and store 70+ gallons of water.  The rush to get bottled water is insane!  Even fill up zip locks with water and put them in the freezer.  It's so easy to fill all sorts of containers that make hoarding bottled water unnecessary.  I do hoard fuel though... over 100 gallons!

We live down river from New Orleans and always freeze several gallons of tap water at the beginning of Hurricane season. It helps keep your food cold and as it melts, more drinkable water.

• Like 1