Is it possible to be proactive

klfrodo

I don't have a dog in this fight but would be interested in hearing from an expert (Iamtrustworthy for example).

With Dorian headed towards South Florida this holiday weekend, is it possible to be proactive rather than reactive in regards to Travel Insurance?

If I'm scheduled to depart from a port where Dorian is expected to hit, could I go ahead now and reschedule my flights to catch the ship at it's next scheduled port and recover my additional expenses under Trip Delay or Trip Interruption? Or, is Travel Insurance reactive only?

I could see Saturday departure being a No. A Sunday departure though...

7 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I don't have a dog in this fight but would be interested in hearing from an expert (Iamtrustworthy for example).

With Dorian headed towards South Florida this holiday weekend, is it possible to be proactive rather than reactive in regards to Travel Insurance?

If I'm scheduled to depart from a port where Dorian is expected to hit, could I go ahead now and reschedule my flights to catch the ship at it's next scheduled port and recover my additional expenses under Trip Delay or Trip Interruption? Or, is Travel Insurance reactive only?

I'm interested in this type of issue as well.

GC

8 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Hi klfrodo,

The answer will depend on which policy you already have. I'll tell you how nearly all plans will work, although yours might be different.

Although what you are thinking about is a good idea, you can't make pre-departure date changes and claim the expenses on your policy before your airline cancels the flight.

If your airline cancels the flight, then you are likely covered under a combination of the Trip Delay and Trip Interruption.

Next, depending on where your next scheduled port is, you may run afoul of the "Jones Act", so you'll want to check that. The Jones Act means that cruise ships that were not U.S. built, U.S. owned and with U.S. crews cannot travel between U.S. ports, unless they stop at a foreign port.

I hope this helps.

Steve

So,,,, just to clarify....

If I'm scheduled to depart on day ABC on MyAirline flight number DEF,,, the flight MUST be cancelled before I'm allowed to make other arrangements under most policies. It does not matter that MyAirline announces , let's say 72 hours in advance, that they are waiving any change fees and instead of flying into MIA to catch my ship, I choose to change to,, let's say Grand Cayman but I have to spend a couple of days in hotel and meals waiting for my ship. Catching up to the ship at any another US port or one of it's territories MAY be in violation of the PVSA.

Again,,, policy dependent,,, but most policies. 

Also, I understand that a passport book would be required and also understand that flying to Grand Cayman would not violate PVSA. Also understand that boarding the ship in Grand Cayman would be at the discretion of the cruise line. Not an automatic thing.

Not being critical but Jones Act covers Cargo ships whereas PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act) covers cruise ships. Same may say a difference without distinction 😄

Edited by klfrodo

Even if insurance would cover you if you changed to (plan to) join the ship at its next scheduled port, how could you be sure that the ship would proceed along its scheduled itinerary anyway?  The cruise might be cancelled or re-rerouted and then you would be stuck with reservations to a place the boat will not be visiting.

2 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

Even if insurance would cover you if you changed to (plan to) join the ship at its next scheduled port, how could you be sure that the ship would proceed along its scheduled itinerary anyway?  The cruise might be cancelled or re-rerouted and then you would be stuck with reservations to a place the boat will not be visiting.

You're not wrong. 🤔  

That would be my luck.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:37 PM, klfrodo said:

If I'm scheduled to depart on day ABC on MyAirline flight number DEF,,, the flight MUST be cancelled before I'm allowed to make other arrangements under most policies. It does not matter that MyAirline announces , let's say 72 hours in advance, that they are waiving any change fees and instead of flying into MIA to catch my ship, I choose to change to,, let's say Grand Cayman but I have to spend a couple of days in hotel and meals waiting for my ship. Catching up to the ship at any another US port or one of it's territories MAY be in violation of the PVSA.

The airline would not waive change fees for this.

When there is a weather event and the airlines encourage you to reschedule your flights at no charge, you cannot change your point of departure or point of arrival.  It needs to be the same airports as the original ticket, just different date/time.  If you want to change the air itinerary, that will require the change fee AND the price difference between the original ticket and the new ticket.

Edited by msmayor