Cancelled Baltic ports??

We are on a 14 day Baltic cruise next year stopping at Copenhagen, Warnemunde, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki , Stockholm, Kiel and Aarhus.  I have friends that missed their St Petersburg port due to windy weather.  Does anyone have an idea of how often ships miss these ports?  Looking at private tours and see that many require 24 hour cancellation, so if any of these ports are often cancelled, I don’t want to book those tours there.

You may find that all ports can be canceled due to bad weather everywhere - I've experienced cancellations or changes in itinerary in the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Norwegian Fjords as well as in Hawaii due to bad weather, but that's the exception more than the rule.  

There have been some days of storms in the Baltic Sea this year but it is not often the case that ports in the Baltic Sea are canceled. Just go ahead with you planning. Do not know if any insurances will cover changed itineraries.

Our two day tour in St Petersburg with TJ Travel required no pre-payment. Payment was due 2nd tour day.

Any private tour you book pay close attention to the terms...Specifically the point that it's fully refundable if ship is not able to dock.

• Like 1

Agree with the above post - carefully read the terms for refunds in the event that your ship is unable to dock. Alla Tours, like TJ,  does not require any pre-payment for their group tours - you pay at the end of your first day in port. Most of the top independent tour companies (Alla Tours, TJ, Best Guides, SPB, etc.) in the Baltics offer a full refund in the event that your ship is unable to dock in any of the Baltic ports of call.

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

Any private tour you book pay close attention to the terms...Specifically the point that it's fully refundable if ship is not able to dock.

I was going to give the same advice.  And note that it applies anywhere in the world you may be cruising.

Thanks everyone.  I’ve booked many private tours and I am always careful to make sure I understand the cancellation terms in addition to making sure they and I are both very aware of meeting/dropoff location and times.  Some tours start at the port gate, others inside the port at various locations and some meet at a point in town.  I appreciate the advice though as I’ve seen people make those mistakes when first starting to use private tour guides.  

Y’all are right that no matter where you are in the world the possibility exists for last minute cancellation due to weather or political climate - that is a given.   It is more likely at some places than others though, and  I appreciate hearing that it is a rare occurrence in the Baltic Sea.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Enjoy your planning and your cruise - great itinerary- next is Norwegian Fjords

We are on the ship the week before the Baltic Sea for a Norwegian Fjord cruise.  We have sailed part of the Norwegian Fjords on HAL Voyage of the Vikings and it was so beautiful!  Looking forward to seeing more. 

I'm just back from 10 days on the Windstar Star Pride, on a "lands of the midnight sun" itinerary.  Three of our ports (Shetland Islands, Orkney Islands and Faroe Islands) were canceled due to rough seas and a disturbing storm forecast.  A major disappointment, of course, but most of us on board felt Windstar was making the prudent decision.  Those of us who'd booked excursions through the ship got full refunds.  Several, however, had made independent plans and had serious worries about whether they'd recoup anything.  It's worth keeping in mind that nothing is certain in cruise itineraries, and the captain gets the final decision.

We will (hopefully) be visiting the Faroe Islands for the first time on the 2nd half of HAL’s Voyage of the Vikings on our way back home.  I suspected they could easily get cancelled, thanks for the confirmation.   I agree, I never let cancelled ports upset me because I trust the captain to make the safest decision.  But I’ve seen irate people. 

• Like 1

Hi,

Ports can be cancelled at anytime. And its not just the Captains decision. He will consult with many people to get all the info. The port authorities and the corporate office are also involved. And when this decision is made, it is really for the safety of the passengers and crew. So I always try to make the best of it. Regarding tours, if you book privately before commiting, just ask them what happens in case of cancellation (make sure to have it in writing).

Just make the most out of the situation if it occurs.

True.  When our captain gave us all the bad news, he brought his navigator into the main lounge with him -- and he also noted that there had been consultations with Windstar's main office in Seattle.  He also provided website information so that passengers could look for themselves at the storm forecast and other weather data.

As we're planning a Baltic Cruise, my question is, are larger ships more likely to cancel ports?  Or is it the other way around?  Just read Celebrity Silhouette was  not able to get into St Petersburg because of the large size; I would be heartbroken if our cruise did not include St Petersburg, so should I go for a smaller ship?

1 hour ago, Kentish said:

As we're planning a Baltic Cruise, my question is, are larger ships more likely to cancel ports?  Or is it the other way around?  Just read Celebrity Silhouette was  not able to get into St Petersburg because of the large size; I would be heartbroken if our cruise did not include St Petersburg, so should I go for a smaller ship?

A friend who has St Petersburg cancelled thought it might be because their ship was too big.  She doesn’t know that for sure, but that was the general consensus between passengers on board.  I’m not sure what size the ship was or even what cruise line.

3 hours ago, Kentish said:

I have not heard of any ships missing Saint Petersburg this year. Last year, there was a ship that didn't make it into port and, if memory correctly serves, I believe it was  the Silhouette. You read about the Silhouette missing the port of St. Pete this year?

17 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I have not heard of any ships missing Saint Petersburg this year. Last year, there was a ship that didn't make it into port and, if memory correctly serves, I believe it was  the Silhouette. You read about the Silhouette missing the port of St. Pete this year?

Correct - no ships cancelled due to weather this year   - last year Norwegian Breakaway - Silhouette was in 2016.

I’ve phoned to book Silhouette in the hope weather is not against us and been told Russian visa will have to be independently acquired if we have private tour in St Petersburg.  Is this general policy?  Is it a lot of bother? 

5 hours ago, Kentish said:

I’ve phoned to book Silhouette in the hope weather is not against us and been told Russian visa will have to be independently acquired if we have private tour in St Petersburg.  Is this general policy?  Is it a lot of bother? 

I’ve heard some ships tell passengers that.   The independent tour companies have a blanket visa that covers you while you are on their tour.  You must be with your tour guide whenever you are off the ship and you cannot spend the night on land.   Google tours for St Petersburg and several companies pop up and they tell you on their home page about the visa. 

If you wanted to do the port day on your own without a tour guide you must have a visa.  

5 hours ago, Kentish said:

That is false and incorrect information spread by the cruise lines to scare people into using the more
expensive ship tours. Private organized tours does not require a visa.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 8:25 PM, Wayfairers said:

A friend who has St Petersburg cancelled thought it might be because their ship was too big

Do not really think that size matters when bad weather conditions - however were unlikely - once every second year.

.. and no independent visa required when booking private tours - tour company will take care of that. Visa only required if you want to visit SP on you own.

Edited by hallasm