The Eye of the Storm

At the risk of becoming a whinger....I'd like to have a whinge about ship internet. We have given up on any chance of flying out of Mexico, so we'll just hope the ship can get back into Port Canaveral on Thursday, so that we can get a ticket out of Dodge and get to Vancouver in time.

One of the bottlenecks has been the ship internet. I know its via satelitte and I know everyone is trying to use it at the moment, however, the United Airlines (with whom we are trying to change flights with) website won't accept the old browser version the ship is using...so I can't access my bookings. It's frustration after frustration. Surely its not too difficult to update browser software these days. It only becomes an issue at important times, so surely they should be cognisant of that.

Okay, rant over. It's calm as a mill pond in the Gulf of Mexico so we'll just enjoy these few days and hope for a timely return.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vozzie said:

One of the bottlenecks has been the ship internet. I know its via satelitte and I know everyone is trying to use it at the moment, however, the United Airlines (with whom we are trying to change flights with) website won't accept the old browser version the ship is using...so I can't access my bookings. It's frustration after frustration. Surely its not too difficult to update browser software these days. It only becomes an issue at important times, so surely they should be cognisant of that.

Is it possible to connect to the internet through your own device? That way you would have the latest browser and if it is a phone try downloading the app. If you are stopping in Mexico maybe you can use a WiFi hotspot while there?

Edited by ilikeanswers

Reading the latest reports of Hurricane Dorian just now, it seems likely there will be a fair bit of damage to Florida right along its east coast and further north into the Carolinas during the coming few days. It is expected that flights will be cancelled out of Florida during this time so I wonder if cruise ships affected will head for other US ports to the west of Florida so their passengers can disembark?

Leigh

From discussions with the ship's officers, they are loathe to go to a port, other than the departure one, as the logistics are too difficult....many passengers have their vehicle at the port or flights booked from that port. They will only disembark at an alternative port in extreme circumstances. We are currently approaching Costa Maya and Cozumel tomorrow. Hopefully back at Port Canaveral Thursday ....and, yes, hopefully with a fully functioning airport. There's a lot of hope there....

p.s. ... The storm is expected to pass abeam Orlando at 10pm Tuesday, Sydney time, so we'll know the extent of damage by then.

Edited by vozzie

11 hours ago, vozzie said:

From discussions with the ship's officers, they are loathe to go to a port, other than the departure one, as the logistics are too difficult....many passengers have their vehicle at the port or flights booked from that port. They will only disembark at an alternative port in extreme circumstances. We are currently approaching Costa Maya and Cozumel tomorrow. Hopefully back at Port Canaveral Thursday ....and, yes, hopefully with a fully functioning airport. There's a lot of hope there....

p.s. ... The storm is expected to pass abeam Orlando at 10pm Tuesday, Sydney time, so we'll know the extent of damage by then.

It could work out OK for you. From what you say, you would be due to fly out 40 hours or so after the storm has passed. If there isn't major damage, flights could well be operating by then. Here's hoping .... 🙂

• Like 1

It's wall to wall cruise ships here in the Gulf of Mexico...all sitting out the Hurricane.

We have just departed Cozumel (5pm our time) and are steaming towards Port Canaveral... which is currently closed.

Orlando airport also remains closed.

The situation will become clearer tomorrow(Wednesday our time)...as Dorian passes by the Cape Canaveral Coast.

We have our fingers crossed for our flight out of Orlando Friday morning.....

The big issue is going to be flooding. If you've ever been to Florida, you'll know how low lying the land is.

Even if Port Canaveral opens, there's no guarantee that the highway to Orlando or the Orlando Airport won't be flooded.

Time will tell.

P.S. we certainly filled up on tacos and tequilla !

• Like 1

The fat lady hasn't quiet sung yet, but Port Canaveral has been re-opened and we're making a beeline for it...pushing some mighty big swells. All being equal, well be off to Vancouver tomorrow to catch the Golden Princess. Do they have hurricanes in Alaska????

4 minutes ago, vozzie said:

The fat lady hasn't quiet sung yet, but Port Canaveral has been re-opened and we're making a beeline for it...pushing some mighty big swells. All being equal, well be off to Vancouver tomorrow to catch the Golden Princess. Do they have hurricanes in Alaska????

I hope it all works out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.🙂

9 hours ago, vozzie said:

Excellent, hopefully it will be all okay by the time you dock.

Yes. It was a sprint to Port...we came last.

Tied up now...so on with the holiday.

It was one hell of a ride last night. Difficult to remain in bed. It was all pitching...no swaying. Thought she was gunna break up a few times...but obviously she survived.

Thanks all for being part of the story.....off to Vancouver now.

• Like 1