Propulsion problems on Grandeur?

Just took another look at Grandeur on Marine Traffic and it says destination BALTIMORE ANCHORAGE, though the ship is still pointing south.  Did it say that before or is it turning around?  I didn't notice the destination before.:classic_blink:

Edited by DELTABLUE

On 9/1/2019 at 9:32 AM, BND said:

Well, since Grandeur doesn't have "propeller's".  It has two diesel electric propulsion units.  Makes for a good joke, but nope.

On 9/1/2019 at 9:37 AM, BND said:

Yeah, but they are inside the unit, not free propellers like most people think of.  Not exactly something that can just "fall off".  My point really is people make up stuff and others start believing it because someone posted it.  Next thing you know it'll be all over the internet that the reason GR was cancelled was because the propeller is laying at the bottom of the Patapsco River. 😂

Wasn't going to weigh in on this over the weekend, but its a slow morning.  The Grandeur's propellers are "free", if you mean that a "non-free" propeller is enclosed in a kort nozzle.  But even propellers that are housed inside kort nozzles (which are designed to increase thrust at the expense of speed, the exact opposite of what a cruise ship wants) are held in place by a friction fit, not by mechanical means like bolts or shear pins like your boat's propeller.  Each propeller is hand fit to the taper of the individual shaft (whether a long conventional shaft, or the short azipod shaft), through repeated trial fits using Prussian Blue to determine the actual contact percentage between propeller bore and shaft.  Once the required contact area is obtained through hand grinding (80% contact), the propeller is hydraulically pushed onto the shaft taper, and only the friction of this fit is what holds the propeller on.  While very uncommon, it has happened that ships have lost entire propellers (typically from striking an object which torques the propeller in relation to the shaft), or even entire rudders.  All ship propellers produced in the last 30-40 years have been attached in this manner.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

I don't think you'll have a problem with the New England/Canada itinerary. I'm in Maine and there is nothing being said about Dorian coming anywhere near us.

The only issues you have to watch out for is the closure of the Chesapeake Bay . Since  the storm is expected to keep hugging the coast  and is scheduled  to be in the Norfolk area  Sometime Thursday  the Coast Guard  may close the entrance  to the bay for safety  concerns.

On 8/31/2019 at 12:18 PM, Lady Hudson said:

Just boarded Grandeur.  No mention of any issues.  Sigh of relief!  This trip takes me to 699 points!  Katherine 

Seems we should get at least one point. (or more depending on accommodations) We all boarded  in good faith that we would have a cruise. Not only was the cancellation RCCL’s  responsibility  ( not weather related like many of the other cruise issues happening right now), they knew there was a problem and still allowed us to board.

Maybe in a couple weeks, after all the fallout from the hurricane related cruises have been worked out, I’ll see about the points.  I would never bother customer service at this time with such a minor issue. 

I don’t need the points, but I know that being close to the next level makes a difference for many. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

31 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Seems we should get at least one point. (or more depending on accommodations) We all boarded  in good faith that we would have a cruise. Not only was the cancellation RCCL’s  responsibility  ( not weather related like many of the other cruise issues happening right now), they knew there was a problem and still allowed us to board.

Maybe in a couple weeks, after all the fallout from the hurricane related cruises have been worked out, I’ll see about the points.  I would never bother customer service at this time with such a minor issue. 

I don’t need the points, but I know that being close to the next level makes a difference for many. 

M

I will keep on checking my account.  The Loyalty Ambassador told us she had already contacted Miami.  Rather than just a totally cancelled trip we all actually boarded which may make a difference.  Past practice is that Crown and Anchor has been generous in some of these situations.  I think they realize that people plan ahead on which ships they will get their blocks and/or reach Pinnacle.  Out of my hands so I will just wait and see.  Katherine

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Not only was the cancellation RCCL’s  responsibility  ( not weather related like many of the other cruise issues happening right now), they knew there was a problem and still allowed us to board.

I will have to disagree here. I don't believe royal knew they had a problem, and let people board any way. 

You have a car?? Ever had an important sensor just die?? Your perfectly running car will shut down. 

I believe they "had" a problem, and thought is was fixed. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Katherine, did you plan this cruise to turn pinnacle on a specific ship?    As long as that cruise was at least six nights, you should still make it

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you   

m

Not really a big deal but was going to make Pin on the 9/14 sailing on Grandeur.  That enabled us to be Pinnacle on the 10/19 trip on Anthem.  Wanted to try Coastal Kitchen.  But what will be will be.  I can’t really fuss too much knowing what all the folks in the path of Dorian are going through.  Have to put it all in perspective.  

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 9:32 AM, BND said:

Well, since Grandeur doesn't have "propeller's".  It has two diesel electric propulsion units.  Makes for a good joke, but nope.

Ummm, Captain Crunch, the "diesel electric propulsion units" are what power the 2 shaft-drivel propellers.  

3 hours ago, Tony O said:

The only issues you have to watch out for is the closure of the Chesapeake Bay . Since  the storm is expected to keep hugging the coast  and is scheduled  to be in the Norfolk area  Sometime Thursday  the Coast Guard  may close the entrance  to the bay for safety  concerns.

More than just the Coast Guard.  The Port Authority may close the port and channel due to adverse conditions, safety etc.  The pilot needs to be able to safely transit out to and back from ships.

49 minutes ago, Pumbaamd said:

Grandeur has turned around off of Virginia Beach and heading back to Baltimore.

Thx. - hopefully the issue is fixed. If so, that should be good news for the passengers getting on the ship September 5

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

I drove past the port yesterday around 4PM.

Normally, when you look over at her in port, you see people everywhere.

It was very sad to see her looking deserted.

But good to hear she seems to be fixed.

Just an odd thought that came to me...wonder what happens to all the fresh provisions that had been loaded aboard for her cruise?  Not everything will hold.  I'd sure love to be aboard for lunch and/or dinner cruising up and down the bay doing sea trials.:classic_biggrin:

15 minutes ago, DELTABLUE said:

Just an odd thought that came to me...wonder what happens to all the fresh provisions that had been loaded aboard for her cruise?  Not everything will hold.  I'd sure love to be aboard for lunch and/or dinner cruising up and down the bay doing sea trials.:classic_biggrin:

Fish food

1 hour ago, DELTABLUE said:

You think they were really testing the propulsion system?  They were make just dumping their fresh provisions into the ocean and turning around. 😉

1 hour ago, DELTABLUE said:

13 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

You think they were really testing the propulsion system?  They were make just dumping their fresh provisions into the ocean and turning around. 😉

Given that the walk-in coolers that hold produce have ozone generators in them (and the crew will limit access to the boxes to limit air exchange), and the produce is picked over daily to  remove individual items that are starting to go, to keep the mold from spreading to other produce, I would say that at least 50% of the produce will still be completely viable for the next cruise.

If the ship is sitting at the dock for a few days, they won't dump provisions, they will notify local food banks and soup kitchens, and donate the produce to them, also the proteins that were defrosted for the first day of the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

If the ship is sitting at the dock for a few days, they won't dump provisions, they will notify local food banks and soup kitchens, and donate the produce to them, also the proteins that were defrosted for the first day of the cruise.

With all those in need, especially the ones impacted by Dorian, this is what I was hoping would happen.  The fish will just have to continue fending for themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Given that the walk-in coolers that hold produce have ozone generators in them (and the crew will limit access to the boxes to limit air exchange), and the produce is picked over daily to  remove individual items that are starting to go, to keep the mold from spreading to other produce, I would say that at least 50% of the produce will still be completely viable for the next cruise.

Chengkp75, you are such a wealth of knowledge and one of the few on here that I rely on for accurate information. I'm sure that you have answered this question a hundred times but would you mind sharing once again your nautical background? Thanks so much!   Debbie

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, djh said:

Chengkp75, you are such a wealth of knowledge and one of the few on here that I rely on for accurate information. I'm sure that you have answered this question a hundred times but would you mind sharing once again your nautical background? Thanks so much!   Debbie

As my username states, I am a 1975 graduate of "KP", the US Merchant Marine Academy.  I have been sailing as a ship's engineer for the last 44 years, 36 of them as Chief Engineer.  I have served on most major types of ship that ply the oceans:  offshore drilling rigs, drillships, RO/RO ships, container ships, bulk carriers, tankers, and cruise ships.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Did they go out far enough to dump waste (bilge, treated sewage,  etc)? Would they need to go out to get water for their generators to turn potable?

I always wonder how much of this is exchanged at the pier while docked. 

2 minutes ago, death_star said:

Did they go out far enough to dump waste (bilge, treated sewage,  etc)? Would they need to go out to get water for their generators to turn potable?

I always wonder how much of this is exchanged at the pier while docked. 

Bilge water retention is almost never a problem, bilge water handling procedures are such that they only typically pump it over once a week or every two weeks.  With no passengers, sewage retention doesn't pose a problem either.  It would be very costly just to run 8 hours down the bay to get out to the ocean (can't make water in Chesapeake Bay), spend a few hours making water, and then run 8 hours back up the bay.  No, they will load water, if needed, from shore.

• Like 1