Need Help picking Dec 2020 Cruise

CharmCity2000

I'm not sure if this is the right forum so please let me know if I'm in the wrong place.  I'm trying to plan a NYE 2020-2021 cruise.  I'm interested in peoples thoughts on the ships I've selected.

We are a family of 3.  The kids will be 10 and 13 at the time of the cruise.  We've been on Disney Fantasy, Carnival Horizon, and will be going on RC Explorer OTS this Dec.  What the kids loved on the Horizon was the ability to get a burger at Guys, the Library with the board games, the water slides, and the ropes course.  Sky Thingy was closed so they didn't get to try it.  They went to the kids club for about an hour the first and then never went back there again.  The kids favorite evening activity was popcorn and the pool movie.  After dinner most nights, we ended up in the library playing board games.  We are an early to rise family.  I'm up at 5 and the kids are usually up by 7.  Since I get up at 5, I go to bed early.  The evening entertainment just starts too late for me--even the early shows so I'm not really concerned about evening activities.  The kids do not want to be fighting crowds or long lines.  I realize this is laughable as I'm looking at NYE week.  We eat most meals either in the buffet or speciality dinning.  We did not venture into the MDR once on the Horizon.  

The kids really enjoying cruising.  WE started with Disney at 7 nights.  The Horizon was an 8 night itinerary and they thought it was not long enough.  Explorer this Dec will be 9 nights.  I want to be guaranteed warm/hot weather.  I'm concerned about the ships that stay in the Bahama area as sometimes it can be cooler in Dec.

Here is what I've come up with:

1. Norwegian Gem--12 nights leaving from NY.  What do you do on the first 2 and last 2 nights of the cruise when the ship is sailing the coast?  It's not warm so the kids won't be playing in the pool.

2. Celebrity Reflection--12 nights from FLL.  This goes to the Panama which I'm interested in.  Would the ship be fun for the kids?

3. RCL Vision of the Seas--11 nights from FLL.  The itinerary is perfect.  It goes to places we have not been including Panama.  But I've heard that the ship is not all that interesting for kids.

4. RCL Empress of the Seas--7 nights.  Any thoughts on this ship?

5. RCL Freedom of the Seas--7 nights from SJU.  This seems okay.  My only thought is that both the Horizon and Explorer have taken us to the ABC islands.  It would be nice to see some other islands.  I think my bigger concern for both Freedom and Epic is the 7 nights---if I'm paying to fly to SJU I think I want a longer cruise.

6. Norwegian Epic--7 nights from SJU.  Should I be concerned about the bathrooms?

7. Carnival Mardi Gras--7 nights from MCO.  This is probably my last choice.  I'm sure the ship will be amazing.  I'm equally sure it is going to be jam packed and crazy on the NYE cruise.  

Please weigh in and help me see the pros/cons of each ship.  As you can see, I'm all over the board.  I don't have status on any of the ships.

Thank you

Please weigh in and help me see the pros/cons of each ship.  As you can see, I'm all over the board.  I don't have status on any of the ships.

You are asking a bit too much as indicated by no replies .

Perhaps narrow it down a bit ? 

Better yet , contact a Good Cruise Speciaist ? Costs you nothing (although he/she will really be earning their commission on this one)  , will ask the qualifing questions to narrow down to what meets your expectations or even something that you are not aware of ?

Edited by MCC retired

Just booked for NYE on Oasis of the Seas. This will be my 4th time on Oasis and I really like the ship. I will be solo as will my son, he's an adult so I don't need to be his father just Dad. We are also doing NYE this year, on Navigator of the Seas. 

For those ages, I would avoid Vision and Empress.  Freedom will be refurbished before you take your cruise, and that is a great ship already - but if you have already done ABC islands, you might want to try something different.  Epic would be another good choice - plenty for the kids to do.  But any 7 day cruise is going to be packed with families, and you wanted to avoid lines.  

If it were me, I would book Reflection for the partial PC.  We just booked 14 day South America cruise on her sister ship, Silhouette, over Christmas and NYE in Dec 2020.  You could join us - our son will be 11 by then...lol.   But these ships look beautiful, and we booked for the itinerary.  I would think that PC would offer an amazing itinerary too.  There will certainly be less kids on board, and the demographics may skew slightly older.  But check out the ship and see if this would do.  

1 hour ago, MedicKenK said:

Just booked for NYE on Oasis of the Seas. This will be my 4th time on Oasis and I really like the ship. I will be solo as will my son, he's an adult so I don't need to be his father just Dad. We are also doing NYE this year, on Navigator of the Seas. 

I love this phrase!  That is so nice that you and adult son travel together for the holidays.  I like the Oasis and Navigator.  I just want something south of the Bahamas.  I want guaranteed warm/hot.  

7 minutes ago, RSLeesburg said:

For those ages, I would avoid Vision and Empress.  Freedom will be refurbished before you take your cruise, and that is a great ship already - but if you have already done ABC islands, you might want to try something different.  Epic would be another good choice - plenty for the kids to do.  But any 7 day cruise is going to be packed with families, and you wanted to avoid lines.  

If it were me, I would book Reflection for the partial PC.  We just booked 14 day South America cruise on her sister ship, Silhouette, over Christmas and NYE in Dec 2020.  You could join us - our son will be 11 by then...lol.   But these ships look beautiful, and we booked for the itinerary.  I would think that PC would offer an amazing itinerary too.  There will certainly be less kids on board, and the demographics may skew slightly older.  But check out the ship and see if this would do.  

That looks amazing!  I hadn't given much thought to SA.  You've given me something else to consider :).  I really like the Reflection itinerary if I can convince myself that the kids will enjoy it.  

If we had not booked SA, I would have booked the Reflection PC itinerary...lol.   That is on my bucket list too, and I did not realize that Celebrity offered partial PC cruise, especially over Christmas break.  

Good luck.  

On 8/30/2019 at 12:24 PM, CharmCity2000 said:

I'm not sure if this is the right forum so please let me know if I'm in the wrong place.  I'm trying to plan a NYE 2020-2021 cruise.  I'm interested in peoples thoughts on the ships I've selected.

We are a family of 3.  The kids will be 10 and 13 at the time of the cruise.  We've been on Disney Fantasy, Carnival Horizon, and will be going on RC Explorer OTS this Dec.  What the kids loved on the Horizon was the ability to get a burger at Guys, the Library with the board games, the water slides, and the ropes course.  Sky Thingy was closed so they didn't get to try it.  They went to the kids club for about an hour the first and then never went back there again.  The kids favorite evening activity was popcorn and the pool movie.  After dinner most nights, we ended up in the library playing board games.  We are an early to rise family.  I'm up at 5 and the kids are usually up by 7.  Since I get up at 5, I go to bed early.  The evening entertainment just starts too late for me--even the early shows so I'm not really concerned about evening activities.  The kids do not want to be fighting crowds or long lines.  I realize this is laughable as I'm looking at NYE week.  We eat most meals either in the buffet or speciality dinning.  We did not venture into the MDR once on the Horizon.  

The kids really enjoying cruising.  WE started with Disney at 7 nights.  The Horizon was an 8 night itinerary and they thought it was not long enough.  Explorer this Dec will be 9 nights.  I want to be guaranteed warm/hot weather.  I'm concerned about the ships that stay in the Bahama area as sometimes it can be cooler in Dec.

Here is what I've come up with:

1. Norwegian Gem--12 nights leaving from NY.  What do you do on the first 2 and last 2 nights of the cruise when the ship is sailing the coast?  It's not warm so the kids won't be playing in the pool.

2. Celebrity Reflection--12 nights from FLL.  This goes to the Panama which I'm interested in.  Would the ship be fun for the kids?

3. RCL Vision of the Seas--11 nights from FLL.  The itinerary is perfect.  It goes to places we have not been including Panama.  But I've heard that the ship is not all that interesting for kids.

4. RCL Empress of the Seas--7 nights.  Any thoughts on this ship?

5. RCL Freedom of the Seas--7 nights from SJU.  This seems okay.  My only thought is that both the Horizon and Explorer have taken us to the ABC islands.  It would be nice to see some other islands.  I think my bigger concern for both Freedom and Epic is the 7 nights---if I'm paying to fly to SJU I think I want a longer cruise.

6. Norwegian Epic--7 nights from SJU.  Should I be concerned about the bathrooms?

7. Carnival Mardi Gras--7 nights from MCO.  This is probably my last choice.  I'm sure the ship will be amazing.  I'm equally sure it is going to be jam packed and crazy on the NYE cruise.  

Thank you

I don't know all these ships but will help you with the one's I do know and just my thoughts...

The NCL Gem-Since it is sailing from NY, in December, it's going to be VERY cold. So, no outdoor activities such as the pool, ping pong and outdoor games. We've sailed from the northern ports at Spring Break in the past and even then it was pretty darn chilly and I didn't like it. With the Gem, it's an older ship so you aren't going to have all the bells and whistles you would find on the newer ships as well. Just my personal opinion...I wouldn't do it, especially with 2 days going down and 2 days going back in the cold. No thank you.

We've been on the Freedom OTS and it's an amazing ship! Sailing out of SJU is my absolute favorite thing to do! But, air flight can be expensive these days and especially around Christmas. So, I always make sure I get my bang for the buck and go down several days ahead of time and stay at least a day later. We spend those days exploring SJU and have even went out and stayed at resorts far away from port. They have been some of the best cruises we have taken and it seems like an extended vacation. I mean if I'm paying that much to get down there...I'm going to enjoy where I'm flying to as well. LOL  You didn't say what ports you were going to and I'm not sure if they change by next December from when we were on it. But, if you are interested, I did a full review on our Freedom cruise and there's TONS of pictures included...including the ports. CLICK HERE to take you to the page to find the review. If you are going to any of those ports, I have reviews and pictures of all the ports we have visited and things to do in each (mostly if you love the beach, snorkeling and so on). You might find my website useful. http://mitsubishigirl19.wixsite.com/mitsugirlys-cruise

Epic: We have been on the Epic twice and loved it each time. It's a unique ship for sure. As far as the bathrooms, the doors are a frosted glass and at most, all you could see is a shadow and by shadow, I don't mean an outline...just a dark area. But, there are curtains that close that area off you can use if there's a concern. I don't know where you are going on the Epic either, so hard to tell you about them.

PB182438%20copy-L.jpg

For us, the itinerary is always just as important as the ship if not more. We cruise a lot and like to visit new places, or visit places again that we really really like. The southern itineraries are some of our favorite and I could cruise those over and over.

Edited by mitsugirly

Of the ships you list, I'd recommend the Epic.  We've been on that ship 3 or 4 times.  Loved it.  Bathrooms not an issue.  

I would never cruise out of NY in December.  We've tried it in November and the weather really limits outdoor time.  May work for some - but not us.  

We personally don't care for Celebrity.  We've only done a few Celebrity and they've felt a little too formal for us.  

If you don't cruise a lot, I'd definitely chose a cruise that allow you to experience new islands.  

VOS is not one of our favorite ships, but the 11 nights and Panama make it sound interesting.  We felt like there were not enough activities for some reason.  But, that could totally just be our preferences.  

Just a suggestion.  Have you considered MSC Seaside or Meriviglia?  We just returned from our second sailing with a group of 18 (ages 10-55).  We all loved it!  The prices are very good.  The ship is beautiful and we thought the service was excellent.  Reviews for this ship are all over the place.  I've read reviews about rude staff and inedible food.  We totally disagree.  This was our second trip on the Seaside and I would gladly book again.  We've been on more than 60 cruises and the Seaside is probably top 5 for us.  We thought the value for the price was great.  I'd book the Seaside and use the extra savings for spectacular excursions. 

13 hours ago, #1TravelMom said:

Just a suggestion.  Have you considered MSC Seaside or Meriviglia?  We just returned from our second sailing with a group of 18 (ages 10-55).  We all loved it!  The prices are very good.  The ship is beautiful and we thought the service was excellent.  Reviews for this ship are all over the place.  I've read reviews about rude staff and inedible food.  We totally disagree.  This was our second trip on the Seaside and I would gladly book again.  We've been on more than 60 cruises and the Seaside is probably top 5 for us.  We thought the value for the price was great.  I'd book the Seaside and use the extra savings for spectacular excursions. 

I usually sail NCL, RC or Carnival and have never consider MSC, but after you mentioned this, I looked up these 2 ships....and wow! They look amazing! It has me thinking now. Thanks for that. Are there any other MSC ships that are comparable to those 2 ships you mentioned?

17 hours ago, #1TravelMom said:

Of the ships you list, I'd recommend the Epic.  We've been on that ship 3 or 4 times.  Loved it.  Bathrooms not an issue.  

I would never cruise out of NY in December.  We've tried it in November and the weather really limits outdoor time.  May work for some - but not us.  

We personally don't care for Celebrity.  We've only done a few Celebrity and they've felt a little too formal for us.  

If you don't cruise a lot, I'd definitely chose a cruise that allow you to experience new islands.  

VOS is not one of our favorite ships, but the 11 nights and Panama make it sound interesting.  We felt like there were not enough activities for some reason.  But, that could totally just be our preferences.  

MSC look amazing.  One thing I like are the kid "treasure" hunt excursions?  Have you ever done one of those?  I think they would be engaging for kids who would otherwise be bored looking at history and architecture.  Of course, my concern is that not enough people sign up and its cancelled.

22 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I don't know all these ships but will help you with the one's I do know and just my thoughts...

The NCL Gem-Since it is sailing from NY, in December, it's going to be VERY cold. So, no outdoor activities such as the pool, ping pong and outdoor games. We've sailed from the northern ports at Spring Break in the past and even then it was pretty darn chilly and I didn't like it. With the Gem, it's an older ship so you aren't going to have all the bells and whistles you would find on the newer ships as well. Just my personal opinion...I wouldn't do it, especially with 2 days going down and 2 days going back in the cold. No thank you.

We've been on the Freedom OTS and it's an amazing ship! Sailing out of SJU is my absolute favorite thing to do! But, air flight can be expensive these days and especially around Christmas. So, I always make sure I get my bang for the buck and go down several days ahead of time and stay at least a day later. We spend those days exploring SJU and have even went out and stayed at resorts far away from port. They have been some of the best cruises we have taken and it seems like an extended vacation. I mean if I'm paying that much to get down there...I'm going to enjoy where I'm flying to as well. LOL  You didn't say what ports you were going to and I'm not sure if they change by next December from when we were on it. But, if you are interested, I did a full review on our Freedom cruise and there's TONS of pictures included...including the ports. CLICK HERE to take you to the page to find the review. If you are going to any of those ports, I have reviews and pictures of all the ports we have visited and things to do in each (mostly if you love the beach, snorkeling and so on). You might find my website useful. http://mitsubishigirl19.wixsite.com/mitsugirlys-cruise

Epic: We have been on the Epic twice and loved it each time. It's a unique ship for sure. As far as the bathrooms, the doors are a frosted glass and at most, all you could see is a shadow and by shadow, I don't mean an outline...just a dark area. But, there are curtains that close that area off you can use if there's a concern. I don't know where you are going on the Epic either, so hard to tell you about them.

PB182438%20copy-L.jpg

For us, the itinerary is always just as important as the ship if not more. We cruise a lot and like to visit new places, or visit places again that we really really like. The southern itineraries are some of our favorite and I could cruise those over and over.

The cold is definitely my concern for the GEM.  I hadn't given any thought to going to SJU early and spending a few days there first.  That's an idea to explore, so thank you.  EPIC is southern Caribbean from SJU but it includes St. Lucia and St. Kitts I've been to but the kids have not.  I appreciate you chiming in and providing feedback.  

7 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I usually sail NCL, RC or Carnival and have never consider MSC, but after you mentioned this, I looked up these 2 ships....and wow! They look amazing! It has me thinking now. Thanks for that. Are there any other MSC ships that are comparable to those 2 ships you mentioned?

No other ships are similar.  I actually don't have first-hand experience on the Meriviglia.  I'm only saying it's comparable based on what the Seaside staff has told me.  We liked the Seaside so much and asked several staff onboard if any other ships were going to be more "American friendly"(as they call it).  They said the Meriviglia.  From all I have read and have been told, the other ships are VERY different.  

We found more similarities than differences with MSC.  The reviews had me so hesitant, but the price over Thanksgiving was amazing.  The water park is awesome.  Lots of pools.  Plenty of activities.  Incredible pizza(we liked all of the food).  Our group of 18 struggled to think of anything we were not happy with.  I really think MSC will be gaining a share of the US market once more people give it a try.  I often read "Don't try MSC unless you can afford Yacht Club".  We didn't pay the extra amount to be in the Yacht Club and we still had a fabulous time.  Currently, we rate the Seaside just under the newer RCCL ships(we love those).  But, for the price - MSC is absolutely a great value.  I would consider it pretty even with the newer NCL ships.  

3 hours ago, CharmCity2000 said:

MSC look amazing.  One thing I like are the kid "treasure" hunt excursions?  Have you ever done one of those?  I think they would be engaging for kids who would otherwise be bored looking at history and architecture.  Of course, my concern is that not enough people sign up and its cancelled.

I have not done this.  I haven't even heard of it.  Sounds fun!

58 minutes ago, #1TravelMom said:

No other ships are similar.  I actually don't have first-hand experience on the Meriviglia.  I'm only saying it's comparable based on what the Seaside staff has told me.  We liked the Seaside so much and asked several staff onboard if any other ships were going to be more "American friendly"(as they call it).  They said the Meriviglia.  From all I have read and have been told, the other ships are VERY different.  

We found more similarities than differences with MSC.  The reviews had me so hesitant, but the price over Thanksgiving was amazing.  The water park is awesome.  Lots of pools.  Plenty of activities.  Incredible pizza(we liked all of the food).  Our group of 18 struggled to think of anything we were not happy with.  I really think MSC will be gaining a share of the US market once more people give it a try.  I often read "Don't try MSC unless you can afford Yacht Club".  We didn't pay the extra amount to be in the Yacht Club and we still had a fabulous time.  Currently, we rate the Seaside just under the newer RCCL ships(we love those).  But, for the price - MSC is absolutely a great value.  I would consider it pretty even with the newer NCL ships.  

I don't know anything about the MSC company or fleet and have only seen them in port with us several times over the years. Are they usually not in the US or Caribbean?

What do they mean by "American Friendly?" In what way are they not American friendly?

What is the Yacht Club? Those 2 ships really do look amazing and I'm seriously considering giving them a try in the future.

10 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

I don't know anything about the MSC company or fleet and have only seen them in port with us several times over the years. Are they usually not in the US or Caribbean?

What do they mean by "American Friendly?" In what way are they not American friendly?

What is the Yacht Club? Those 2 ships really do look amazing and I'm seriously considering giving them a try in the future.

Seaside is a very large ship - comparable(imho) to the newer ships on the mainstream cruise lines.  They visit basically the same ports.

As far as "American friendly" - this is how I interpret it.  MSC uses this wording and considers these ships more geared towards the American market.  They are an Italian line.  Some feel they cater more to Europeans.  I didn't see this and I don't even know how a cruiseline can "cater" to a specific group.  Some people do not like that they do most announcements in several languages.  This doesn't bother us one bit.  On the other ships, I've read that the staff is not friendly.  I don't think it's a matter of the not being friendly.  I think, in general, from what I've read, they are trained to be seen and not heard.  Interacting with passengers is not encouraged.  This is sometimes mistaken for rudeness.  We did not experience this whatsoever on the Seaside. Also, I believe these ships have a different dining room menu and larger buffet.

I've read a lot of reviews where people make MSC sound DRAMATICALLY different than other lines.  As far as the Seaside, we saw very little difference.  We didn't encounter any rude people of any nationality.  We are very easy going, not hard to please and make the best of every cruise.  I find it hard to believe that our entire group of 18 loved it and it still get some terrible reviews here and there.  I think some let one bad experience cloud their view of the entire ship/cruise.  For example, one person had trouble with a drink package and stood in line for quite a while and had difficulty getting it resolved.  I understand that this would be extremely frustrating.  But, as soon as I had things resolved, I'd just move on and have a great time.  Others may let this ruin the entire trip.

Yacht Club is a different level of cabin and service.  The rooms are in a different location with a private pool and restaurant.  I think they also have a concierge and other services.  We just don't feel the higher price is worth it, but clearly many people feel that it's a necessity.  Everyone has different preferences.

• 3 weeks later...

Many years ago we were on a Carnival cruise for New Year's Eve. 7 days and it was fun. We went then due to work schedules and such. We enjoyed ourselves so much on that cruise that we booked Carnival for New Years the following year. Had a blast. What amazed me was the way the crew were enjoying themselves on deck, too. We went to bed shortly after midnight and, as usual, I was up early. I got up on the open deck to see what was left of the confetti, etc. It was all gone. It was amazing how well the crew did in cleaning up that once-a-year party. Multi-generational groups were there. It was great.

Jim