Weather question for early October?

Truluv

Can someone tell me their experience with weather during the 1st two weeks of October?  I've looked at various sites and travel books, and they either disagree or only give the weather averaged across the whole month.  I don't want to overpack with sweaters, jeans and light jackets, if shorts/t-shirt will work.  And does it ever rain there?  I've never seen pictures of cold, wet tourists in the Greek islands...:classic_biggrin:

Edited by Truluv

It absolutely can rain in Greece.

If you look at those ranges of temps, that will give you the range you could expect while you are there. If someone comes in and says it was 75-80 their last visit (remember one point doesn't make a line), you pack light, and its 60-65, what you are going to do? You need to plan for the historical range of temps.

The problem is that a month's range is so wide.  I'd expect the end of the month to be a lot cooler than the beginning of the month, with a 4-week spread.  The travel books are also inconsistent.  That's why I'm hoping to nail it down a little better by hearing from people who traveled in October..

Edited by Truluv

Greece encompasses a fairly broad area. What islands/cities are you going to? It tends to be more temperate on the islands but can be warmer in Athens. 

The weather.com website actually DOES give weather averages by day of the month if you drill down. For example, choose Athens Greece, then once you are on the main page, look on the right hand side (about mid-way down) for a section that says "Almanac -- Records and Averages" and click on it. It will give you averages for every day of the month -- click on the day on the calendar, then look on the right side for historic info.

One year, my Med cruise started from Athens on the last day of September. It was 100 degrees at the Acropolis that day; several people fainted. However, the point made earlier is valid -- anecdotal reports do not give you the whole story.

Thank you for the useful site and tips on drilling down to getmore detailed information.  That's extremely helpful!!  We'll be going to Santorini, Mykonos, Crete and Athens, in addition to Naples and Rome.   I'm trying to pack efficiently since we'll be in Rome for a few days in addition to 9 days on a cruise ship.  We're not a small family (sons are 6'6" and 6'7", for ex.) so it doesn't take much to fill a suitcase LOL.

CruiseMom -- I have to thank you again!  That Almanac link is exactly what I needed and I wouldn't have found it without your help.  It appears we'll be there as weather is cooling, with an average 10-degree variation from the beginning of our trip to the end.  I have a health issue affected by temp variations, so this will definitely help my packing plans. 

We are going next week, returning Oct. 23.   Northern Greece, Ionian Islands, Athens, Cyprus.   We are both wearing long pants for the flights.  That will be it for long slacks.  The rest will be shorts, short sleeved shirts, a sweater, and a nylon shell.  DW will take a light summer dress.   We pack in layers.  This has been fine for several other trips at the same time of year.

Edited by iancal

It may be a little different for us.  We only do carry on.  If you have slacks, a sweater, and a nylon shell you will have it covered for any inclement weather that you might experience IMHO.  In our experience, it is a great time to go.

Edited by iancal

We cruised Oct 17-29 2018. We had pool time every day. Highs were in the low to mid 70's. We had a brief shower in Mallorca and it was overcast in Santorini with afternoon rain. Mykonos, Rhodes and Malta were cloudless days. It was very windy in Rhodes. It was mostly cloudy in Athens but it was a warm day. In Messina it was sunny in the morning and partly cloudy in the afternoon.

We took our light gortex rain jackets designed for warm weather. We also took a light fleece pullover but we didn't wear it at all.

Unless you are going up in altitude such as Mt Etna, plan for a light rain jacket and highs in the low to mid 70's,

Because we weren't going into many churches, we lived in shorts and a light top for 12 days. Our ship (Celebrity Eclipse) was very comfortable temp wise. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It has been 27-30 C every day for the past two weeks in northern Greece.   I have only worn slacks and a sweater once.....at night because we were in a restaurant beside the sea.  All other days have been shorts and sandals.  Two short hours of rain in the early AM a few days ago in Lassi.  We go to Zanthe for a week and then to Athens on the 6th. F’cast is for sun, highs of 27/28.    

This is is what we have experienced on prior trips.

Edited by iancal