Cancer & Cancellation Insurance

lightink2

I have read and reread posts re pre-existing conditions and am not understanding it.  This is my situation - 1st time cruisers, we are booked for 8/20 Alaska Land-Cruise on Coral.  I was diagnosed with Stage 3 cancer a year ago, before purchase of the cruise (this is a bucket-list trip, for sure, lol!).  So that's a pre-existing condition, clearly.  This week, I found out I have a recurrence and will undergo more treatment.  In short, I have no idea how I will be in August 2020.  Anything can happen with the cancer I have.  I may be in treatment, I may not be alive, I may be fine to travel.

I have no idea how to look at cancellation insurance and medical insurance for anything that might happen on the cruise. I know we need it for my spouse and my teenage son.   I've read some of you prefer to use insurance other than Princess.  How do you recommend I approach this? Thank you in advance for your guidance.

You might be ok purchasing an insurance plan with a preexisting medical condition waiver.  The one we just got says:

Existing Medical Conditions Coverage & Exclusion

Your plan may provide existing medical conditions coverage if you, a traveling companion or family member has an existing medical condition. An existing medical condition is an illness or injury that exhibited symptoms or was treated for any time 120 days prior to purchasing your plan. Existing medical conditions are covered if:

1. You purchased your plan on or before making your final trip payment;

2. You purchased trip cancellation coverage that covers the full cost of all your non-refundable trip arrangements.

3. You were a U.S. resident and medically able to travel on the day you purchased the plan; and

4. The total cost of your trip is $50,000* per person or less. All other contract terms and conditions apply. See general exclusions [in brochure].

*Covered Cancellations/Interruptions due to an existing medical condition will be considered for reimbursement up to $50,000 per person.

But in any case check with your travel and/or insurance agent and medical professionals to make sure it meets your needs.

I hope everything works out and you enjoy the trip!

• Thanks 1

First of all, as a cancer survivor, I'm so sorry you have a recurrence and need to undergo more treatment.

When did you book the Alaska cruise and was it directly with Princess or through a travel agent? We have only bought 3rd party trip insurance through our TA, and if it's purchased within 2 weeks of booking, we're covered for pre-existing conditions. I don't know how the Princess insurance works regarding that. If you booked with a TA he or she should be able to help you. Otherwise, contact the site given.

Best wishes for both of your journeys!

Hi Lightink2,

I hope you will be OK on your cruise !!! If I was you I would call a couple of travel ins. companies and get the answers to your questions. Just to be sure that you will be covered. Good Luck!! I hope you have a Great time on the cruise.

Tony

• Thanks 1

I use Travel Guard.  Use to buy per trip from a TA, some years ago... price  got very expensive.  Never used it.  So I decided to call Travel Guard direct and talk to an agent about what I needed and what they had to offer.   Best decision I made, agent suggested something I could buy on an annual basis vs per trip for a 1/3 of the costs I was paying with my TA.  

So agree talk to insurance carrier direct about your needs and get professional advise.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lightink2 said:

Thanks everyone.  

I booked directly in April and then transferred to a TA.  I did contact her and she's exploring possibilities, too.  

We strongly suggest that you CALL TripInsuarnceStore.

They have weekend hours, so leave a message if they don't answer.

Also, this might not be the right time... For the policies we are familiar with, you must be "able to travel" when you start the coverage.  And -->> for pre-existing condition coverage, you usually need to start the policy within 10-21 days of making the FIRST payment (e.g., deposit).  There is at least one insurer that has more flexible terms than this, so you can discuss thin with Steve or one of his associates.

We get policies through TIS from Travel Insured and we *have* had claims, and they are paid without a lot o hassle, and that's what it is all about, after all.

Good  luck; hope your treatment goes well!

GC

• 4 weeks later...

We have been in the same situation as you.  

What we we chose to do was purchase the Princess Platinum plan. For one, it was cheaper at our age than the third party policies. And second, since we were dealing with a significant PreExisting Condition without any chance of a clear 60 day look back, we figured the CFAR credit was potentially more useful to us than the covered reason coverage.  

Turns out we didn't need to use the coverage, but we had great peace of mind knowing we could cancel any time before the cruise, for any reason, and would have the credit to use in the next year. This approach may not work for everyone, especially if using a future credit is less likely, but it worked for us.

• 4 weeks later...

I truly appreciate everyone's advice& wisdom. I decided to cancel the cruise this week.  It is the peace of mind I need as my treatment is ongoing and condition uncertain.  I wish cruises were the kind of thing we could do spur of the moment or with just a month or two notice.  I'd booked a full suite on a Alaska Inner Passage land tour/cruise.  

Happy cruising to you all!

Many years ago, almost 20, my husband was diagnosed with cancer. ☹️We had scheduled a major vacation that of course we cancelled right away, even before we knew much about his condition.  Well that was a mistake.  He passed away last year and we enjoyed many cruises and trips since his diagnosis.  Uncertainty is exactly why you should go on the cruise.  Life is uncertain. Why cancel now?  The cruise is wonderful to look forward to and you might be feeling fine.  You can't live your life with cancer controlling your actions and decisions.😃

The doctors are usually guessing at the prognosis.  You can make your life a positive certainty by continuing to travel and enjoy everything.🚢

• 4 weeks later...

You need medical coverage for Canada and the ship.   Assuming you are a US citizen.    You need to verify your domestic coverage especially.    None of the Inside Passage hospitals are specialized and ship patients to Settle.  Travel insurance is frequently only international.      

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 12:03 PM, lightink2 said:

I truly appreciate everyone's advice& wisdom. I decided to cancel the cruise this week.  It is the peace of mind I need as my treatment is ongoing and condition uncertain.  I wish cruises were the kind of thing we could do spur of the moment or with just a month or two notice.  I'd booked a full suite on a Alaska Inner Passage land tour/cruise.  

Happy cruising to you all!

You can book a cruise at the spur of the moment.  It just might cost more.  Look at it this way - when things go well and you can travel, the trip will be a celebration of your recovery.

DON