Melbourne to Sydney advice?

Turangi!

Local opinions welcome!!!!

We are going to Melbourne in March  and then flying up to Sydney to board our RCI cruise and are wrestling with the question, can we fly into Sydney early on the Saturday the cruise leaves or do we have to be overly cautious and fly in on the Friday.    We would book a very early flight in case of delays, but what are the odds that we might miss the cruise???

Looking at the Melbourne to Sydney flights and there seems to be commuter flights with frequent service! 

Weather in Canada where we live is always a concern... no matter what season... so we need to know what the locals think... before we book our flight... 

Thanks!

Mary aka Turangi!!!!

Hi Mary aka turangi

Personally I always like to be near the cruise port the night before, I get anxious about things going wrong, missing luggage, delays, storms, fog etc. We are actually only an hour and twenty minute flight away in the country but i still like going up the night before so I can relax knowing im there on time.  And Sydney is an interesting place to spend a night anyway great harbour and some lovely restaurants too.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Turangi! said:

Local opinions welcome!!!!

We are going to Melbourne in March  and then flying up to Sydney to board our RCI cruise and are wrestling with the question, can we fly into Sydney early on the Saturday the cruise leaves or do we have to be overly cautious and fly in on the Friday.    We would book a very early flight in case of delays, but what are the odds that we might miss the cruise???

Looking at the Melbourne to Sydney flights and there seems to be commuter flights with frequent service! 

Weather in Canada where we live is always a concern... no matter what season... so we need to know what the locals think... before we book our flight... 

Thanks!

Mary aka Turangi!!!!

You probably won’t have a problem but 100% stay the night in Sydney.

Theres lots to see on Sydney and enjoy ,as pammyj14 said it’s good to be sure.

stay at the holiday inn old Sydney town the rocks,walking distance to the wharf and in the middle of the action.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Thanks 1

We always fly in the day before just in case there are delays - mechanical, fog in either Sydney or Melbourne etc. One cruise from Sydney, flights were delayed from Melbourne (not ours thanks goodness), but many people we spoke to were delayed and quite stressed by the time they boarded. 

Fly to Sydney the day before your cruise, just for peace of mind. 

Leigh

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the good advice...never considered fog ...  We are touring Sydney when we get off the ship for a few days so we are still leaning towards arriving on the same day... This from someone who usually arrives DAYS early!!!  And after watching a family waiting for bags for their first cruise in Florida last year after they were delayed a full day for a missed connection and it was getting towards mid-afternoon... (I explained that they might miss the safety drill and would have to go to a make up session...)  I think I was more worried than they were!  

Looking at taking public transport from the Sydney airport to the cruise port... we are on RCI so we will be going to the Overseas Terminal... is this a good option?  We are used to dragging our bags and try to travel light...  Once again, thanks for all the great advice! Looking forward to finally touring Australia!

According to my husband, I am risk adverse... but if we miss the cruise it will cost a fortune to catch up with the cruise!!!  But going up to Sydney for one night before takes up a lot of touring time!!!

Love your line drawing of your dog!

2 minutes ago, Turangi! said:

According to my husband, I am risk adverse... but if we miss the cruise it will cost a fortune to catch up with the cruise!!!  But going up to Sydney for one night before takes up a lot of touring time!!!

Love your line drawing of your dog!

A late flight the night prior won’t cut too hard into your time in Melbourne and you can look around Sydney that night.

Thank you, that was done by a friend who knows how much my Maxy means to me.

16 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

A late flight the night prior won’t cut too hard into your time in Melbourne and you can look around Sydney that night.

Thank you, that was done by a friend who knows how much my Maxy means to me.

I agree, I would fly to Sydney later in the day/evening, that way you are able to maximise your time in Melbourne. 

Leigh

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I agree, I would fly to Sydney later in the day/evening, that way you are able to maximise your time in Melbourne. 

Leigh

But why would anyone want to maximise their time in Melbourne😱😳

We love to just hang out in the places we travel to and not be rushed and are looking forward to spending time in both Melbourne and Sydney ... Melbourne looks like a delightful place to visit with lots to of things that interest us.... and Sydney has so much to offer... we are cruising the South Pacific so I get my beach time and then cruising Northern Australia to see more of your beautiful country!  Living in northern Canada we have an idea of how big your country is!!!  Any recommendations for must sees in both Sydney and Melbourne... 

42 minutes ago, Turangi! said:

We love to just hang out in the places we travel to and not be rushed and are looking forward to spending time in both Melbourne and Sydney ... Melbourne looks like a delightful place to visit with lots to of things that interest us.... and Sydney has so much to offer... we are cruising the South Pacific so I get my beach time and then cruising Northern Australia to see more of your beautiful country!  Living in northern Canada we have an idea of how big your country is!!!  Any recommendations for must sees in both Sydney and Melbourne... 

In Melbourne,cooks cottage in the Fitzroy gardens and Victoria market.The trams are great fun.

Sydney ,the rocks ,darling harbour and catch the ferries around Sydney Harbour.

Even thought your not looking for beaches,catch the ferry to manly beach for lunch.

The harbour is the main attraction.

Have you worked out where you are staying in Sydney?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Turangi! said:

What do you like to do when visiting new cities/areas? My suggestions for Melbourne are: St Kilda a bay side suburb where it is interesting to spend some time. You can catch a tram or light rail there. Other suggestions are the Melbourne Zoo, the lane ways of the central business district (CBD) where you will find fantastic cafes and street art. The Royal Botanical Gardens and the parks surrounding it where you will find the Shrine of Remembrance built after World War 1 to honour the state of Victoria's men and women who served. It now honours all Australians who served in any war. 

If you like sport I would suggest a tour of the Melbourne Cricket Ground or Melbourne Park (where the Australian Open Tennis is played).  There is the National Art Gallery, just a few minutes walk from the CBD or the Melbourne Museum in Carlton, either an easy walk or quick tram trip to the north of the CBD. If you like walking, there are some free walking tours -  https://www.imfree.com.au/melbourne/

Melbourne has a fairly good public transport system, although for the next few years there will be disruptions at various time because of a large infrastructure building program. The trams operating in the CBD are free but if you need to travel further you will need a myki card - https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki

Like Chilliburn above, I suggest the Victoria Market also. If you want to travel out of Melbourne, there is the Great Ocean Road, the Yarra Valley, Healesville Sanctuary where you will find many Australian animals, Phillip Island and the Mornington Peninisula.

Leigh

The big question are your likes and dislikes, 

sydney

Ferry ride to Manly and a walk along the Corso

Or the Zoo if you have most of a day

A tour of the Opera house

a wander around the Historic Rocks district

Walk down Hickson Road, up the steps in the park around, or even over the Bridge.

Many thanks for the great advice...  When we travel we are open to any suggestions ... we are planning on seeing penguins in Melbourne... missed them in SA...  I love art so will look at local museums or galleries...  JR loves buildings so the Opera House is on the list... JR also loves cars and is disappointed we didn’t plan better as we will be cruising when F1 is in Australia...  We have been to eclectic car museums around the world... As I am a  landlocked mermaid I seek water...thus the South Pacific cruise but will consider beaches everywhere... and will swim in COLD waters...  Plan to visit a relative in Bateman’s Bay...  Hope to do some wineries and tour the countryside in Melbourne... sometimes just wandering around and staying in off the beaten track places is what we do... 

Our leaves are already turning in Alberta and we will see snow soon!!!  

A few art galleries and museums in both Sydney and Melbourne.

Of course Sydney has some great beaches, as I said earlier ferry over to Manly I earlier said wander along the Corso but great beaches too.

How are you getting to Bateman’s Bay?

Canberra isn’t far away for the National Gallery and Museum, as well as Parliament House if hubby likes buildings and the War Memorial.

Hadn’t put Canberra on the list... not sure we have enough time....Sydney has so much to offer...  and we have 5 days planned for Melbourne, but the first one is a “pillow stop” ... according to travel guru Rick Steves after a long flight, the first day should be a day of relaxation and not trying to tour... 

We are renting a car to go to Bateman’s Bay as our unrelated relative (inlaw of inlaw) doesn’t drive and JR has no problem driving on your side... so we will get to see the countryside and visit with our charming Aunt N. and her sister... 

Haven’t even looked at where we are staying yet, but DH has a great eye for finding interesting places to stay...  We just stayed at the Portuguese version of Fawlty Towers... nothing was quite right but it was wonderful!!!  And the view of the ocean was fabulous!

7EE817D2-4B5C-4564-8817-9E8DD1E0D07B.jpeg

I assume you want to see penguins in the wild and not at an aquarium?

You can see fairy penguins at St Kilda beach, at the breakwater at the end of pier  every evening around dusk.

http://stkildapenguins.com.au/skp/?page_id=93

If you want to travel further afield, the Penguin Parade at Phillip Island is fantastic. Phillip Island is about a two hour drive from Melbourne CBD. 

Leigh