Tricky insurance related question

ufgrad98nc

I am concerned about an upcoming cruise and am hoping that someone can give me some guidance/advice.  We are a family of 6 (2 parents, 3 kids, and grandma) travelling together.  We have 3 cabins, each with one adult and a child in a cabin.  The family of 5 bought travel insurance together and then grandma bought her own policy because she has a separate address from us.  Grandma had a medical issue and may not be able to travel on our upcoming cruise.  I know that this will be covered under her insurance plan if she has to cancel.  But.......what happens to my child who was in her cabin with her and will still be going on the cruise?  She obviously can't be in a cabin alone.  And apparently, the other two cabins that we are in are only for 2 people and won't fit a third person.  So I'm guessing that one of us will need to move to a cabin that accommodate 3 people, but the price for that cabin is ridiculously more money than what we paid months ago.  Does insurance cover the difference between having to "upgrade" to a 3 person cabin?  It's several thousand dollars more than what we initially paid. 

Thanks!

That is indeed a tricky question.  If you bought the insurance through a broker, I suggest you call them for assistance.  (That is why we always buy through tripinsurancestore, so we have someone we can call).

Some cruise lines have family accommodations that sleep 6 or more people. I’m thinking of the family verandas on Celebrity or the family suite on Princess.

Perhaps your cruise line has something like this and would be willing to trade even for the three cabins you’d be giving up if Grandma  has to cancel and the rest of you can move to the family cabin. Ask your travel agent to negotiate for you.