Smerelda ports and a few bits

alicat58

Truly having cruise withdrawal at the moment. We usually cruise up to five times a year  and this year we have only cruised twice. My signature at the bottom of the thread ends abruptly last October because CC stopped you adding more. Not sure whether that has been changed. We did a 10/11/18 cruise on the Favolosa in the Med going as far as Lisbon, February this year on the Fascinosa in South America and in June on the MSC Seaview in the Med. No further cruises this year as flying to South Africa 3w today for the DD's wedding on the 29th. Though they live in London it was decided (by her) to get married in her country of birth because it is supposedly half way between London and Perth(where future SinL is from). Our next cruise is on 10/1/20 on the MSC Grandiosa.

Lets get to a few questions from TheLakeGirl:

Food on Costa. My only comparison is with our one cruise on the Seaview and lots of land based holidays and eating out in London. However, spending far too much time on CC and reading lots of CC'ers experiences on other lines and looking at photos, I honestly do not think it is as bad as some people say. I enjoyed the food in the MDR on Seaview a bit more than Costa because I have not had those dishes in the past. We tend to eat breakfast in the buffet and the fresh pastries on Costa are far better than those on MSC. The fruit was better on MSC but it was June and we tend not to cruise "high season".

I was hoping to post some photos but unfortunately Flickr decided that I have too may photos and want me to buy a subscription which I will not do as we save our photos elsewhere. I purely used them for reviews on CC. Can someone explain the changes for attaching photos on CC please. I cannot see the little "mountain" any longer. Presume it is insert any other media from URL.

1 29 February 2020

Savona

-

18:00

2 01 March 2020

Marseille

08:30

17:00

view 

3 02 March 2020

Barcelona

08:00

19:00

view 

4 03 March 2020

Palma

18:00

view 

5 04 March 2020

Cruising

-

-

6 05 March 2020

Civitavecchia/Rome

19:00

view 

7 06 March 2020

La Spezia

08:30

20:30

view 

8 07 March 2020

Savona

07:00

-

view 

We choice to sail from Savona because we usually fly to Milan the day before and get the Costa shuttle from there. We do not like to fly into Genoa because we had so many delays there and on return. The airport is not too bad though. We have used both BA and Ryanair to Genoa.

Savona does not have a lot to offer as a town in my opinion. Your options will be going to Genoa for the day, take a Costa excursion or just stroll about town. We have done all of these.

If you chose to stay in Savona you can visit the Priamar fort, the sisteine chapel(very pretty and next to the cathedral) for a small charge. It was built by the same pope who did the more famous one. The cathedral is free and worth a visit. Photography is allowed unlike a lot of the other churches in town. There is usually a market along the main street on weekends. They sell anything from absolute tat to really amazing local produce. There are lots of places to have drinks and the side streets are actually very pretty. Our favourite place for lunch is "Solo". It is very close to the port and they do pizza. It is usually full of locals and crew from the ship. The pizzas are amazing and really cheap. The owner and his wife serve. It is small so be there early when they open at 12.

We have done one of the Costa excursions. It was not too expensive but as usual a lot of time was spent on a coach and then being herded about by a guide. Unfortunately I cannot recall what the villages were called and I am unable to see any Costa excursions for Savona on MyCosta.

That is it for the moment. I will get back later to chat about things to do in Genoa.

Riana

Ps. I have not spelled checked this🤣

OK , I am back. Anyone with info about ports they want to add please chip in.

Genoa: IMO the easiest way to get there is by Costa transfer. I am unsure about buses and the train. It is a long day, arriving in Savona at 7am and leaving 6pm. We have used the transfer once and they dropped us off in a very central area. Taxi transfers will be available but expensive. There are loads of taxis outside the cruise terminal.

I have recently used this website for info:. http://www.visitgenoa.it.  

Look at the information on the old town. It is a fairly easy town to walk around and there are lots of places to stop for a cofffee etc. Remember shoulders covered in churches, though would not be a problem early in the year.

I am considering a visit to the staglieno cemetery in January when we are stopping in Genoa whilst on the MSC Grandiosa. The funerary art looks amazing and I like to visit cemeteries anyway. Been to the one in Milan and Buenos Aires. 

Marseille: We have been many times and to be honest I am not a fan. Have a look at https://www.tomsportguides.com.

The guide on walking around the old town in good. I would also suggest considering looking at the little train that takes you from the old port to Notre-Dame de la Garde . The views are amazing and it is beautiful around the church. The inside is quite small with lots of sea faring decorations. It is nice to have a coffee or beer around the old port area but I would not bother with a meal in Marseille. Felt ripped off and never had anything amazing.

Palma de Mallorca: Costa has shuttle buses to town. I think expensive. We tend to use a taxi form the port and back and it costs a little less but is more convenient. The drop off for both the shuttle buses and taxis are close to the cathedral. There are lots of steps to the top but it is not too hard to do. The view towards the cruise port is lovely. We have never gone to Soller or the rest of Palma. If you walk up the Passeig del Borne(I not sure about spelling). You'll see a large fountain ahead and there is a tourist information shop where you can get maps etc. There are lots of beautiful churches dotted around. There is a HoHo bus. We do not like them(anywhere in the world). You could consider going to Belver castle on the hill for an amazing view and quite an interesting building. Small charge to enter, I think €5. The HoHo goes there and it is possible to take a taxi up. The problem is getting one back down! There are also horse drawn carriages if you want to pay lots. Lots of nice restaurants and bars to have tapas and a beer if it is nice outside. I would however avoid the places opposite where the taxi drop off is. They totally rip you off.

If you look at the "Ports" section on CC there is a lot of info from Roger B. I think he lives there. According to him very easy to drive in Palma.

I am going to take a bit of a break and will get back to the other ports later today or tomorrow.

Riana

Morning All

I was really hoping other cruisers would add to this but hey-ho. One last thing about Palma. Be on deck for sail away. It will be dark and the lights on the city and cathedral are beautiful.

I have not much to say about Rome. Been many times and always used a ship transfer. It's quite expensive but provided you are back at the coach on time the ship will wait for you. It is well known that Civitavecchia is a good 90 minutes from Rome. Recently on MSC they did not drop us close to the Colosseum but at Piazza del Popolo. It seems to be the new drop off because of the local municipality and issues with buses around the Colosseum. It is quite a distance to the Colosseum from P del P. Brother and family got a taxi there and walked back to meet us at the Pantheon.

We have two upcoming cruises, both stopping at Civitavecchia. The plan would be to explore Civitavecchia on one of the trips.

If I recall Ighten has done a Civitavecchia, not Rome entry. 

La Spezia: If it is light when you sail in it is worth to be outside(even if you have to wrap up). You cannot walk from the ship to the port entrance but there is a free shuttle and it runs constantly. There are stalls in the port building with info and tours. Lots of taxis just outside. 

There is not a great deal to do and see in La Spezia. You can take the lift up to a museum/castle. There is a museum/art gallery(I think was quite expensive and we did not go in). The market only sold rubbish. The town is really a place to dock and to visit alternative places. 

A Lot of people go to Florence because it is a long day in port. I would avoid that because it is too tiring and too much travelling. Depending on the time of year the Cinque Terre is a must. I think they are best seen from the ocean. The boats run seasonally, so best to check if available. They are very touristy! If it is a sunny day I would get a taxi to Portovenere, spend some time there, do a bit of shopping, maybe have lunch(suggest you try one of the places not on the sea front) and get the boat back to La Spezia.

So that's it. Back to Savona.

Riana

Really informative Riana I would love to help but not having been ashore for over five years & aged fingers stops me.

My only contribution is to say that although the 'choice' of food these days is nowhere close to Costa of old it is still very enjoyable & I personally agree we should all be cutting down on food waste. Maybe Brexit will give us less choice in the supper markets.

Keep up the reports you are exceedingly knowledgeable .

Geoff

Thanks Geoff.

I realized I left Barcelona out. 

We have yet to go to Barcelona on a day when loads of things are not closed! Mondays that is. 

MUHBA-closed on Mondays. I also thought there was a Dali museum but now I cannot find it.

The best excursion we had was actually with Costa to Monserrat. A few years ago they had special offers for Perla diamante members for small group tours. It cost the same as the regular tour but was guaranteed and maximum 16 people. It was a "wintery" tour but totally amazing.

Though Barcelona is not my favourite city in the Med there is so much to do and I am sure others will have some interesting suggestions.

Geoff I hope we are going to have even more choice in the supermarkets. I am so sick and tired of the ongoing debates from both sides. Cannot understand why they can just get it over and done with. Actually hoping for some nicer South African wines without the excessive tariffs on the smaller vineyards there.

Riana

Ps.Given up on trying to add photos because they have to be URL and therefore posted from a hosting site. Photobucket dropped us all and now Flickr wants to charge as well.😢

Riana, I beleive the Dali museum is in Figueres, north of Barcelona almost on the French border.

https://www.salvador-dali.org/en/museums/

You are correct about Monserrat Abbey, certainly a place to visit, very impressive, but don't go on a Saint Day when  Spanards make a pilgrimage there. If you want grandkids get the soon to be SiL

there and get him to touch the Orb that the Black Madonna is holding, increases the fertility rate. I have touched the Orb three times (luckily I was wearing gloves).

Have a great time in SA.

Ron

Thanks Ron. No ways I am taking future SinL to Monserrat. I'm not ready for grandkids yet. Anyways they are planning to move to Australia next year. Mainly DD plan even though he is from Perth.

This is the wedding venue:http://www.ricketybridge.com/

Hopefully the weather will be OK and they can have the ceremony outside. Mummy finally got the whole outfit and thank the lord don't have to wear a silly hat or even sillier fascinator. Yuck.

Riana

Thank you for taking the time to do the port reviews. I love your writing style Riana.

Ron I didn't know that touching the orb increased fertility.  Just as well that I am passed child bearing years!  I took the train and fernicular to Montserrat.  The boys' choir sings at 12 I think or could be 1pm so try to get there for that.

In La Spezia you can take a bus to Portevenere,  I did it last year. If you go the other direction it will take you to Lerici. The information desk at the port will tell you where to buy the bus tickets and bus number to take. Could also take the bus to the train station and visit as you mention the Cinque Terra.

In Palma I have taken the train to Soller and it is a fabulous trip on an antiquated train. Then took the tram to Port Soller which seemed to go through people's backyards. Taxi from the port to train station in Palma.

Edited by maryann2

Hi Maryann

Thank you!

I am thinking of going to Lerici when we are on the Smerelda. Will see how it goes.

In Palma we have only had one mission and that was lunch! We used to go to Forn de St Joan every single time we went there. Alas they have become too big for their boots and the food has really gone down hill. We went in Sept/Oct last year and it was as good as in the past. When I booked for June I noticed the decor had change and looked on TA and noticed people said the place is not what it was. We went anyway and felt the same. So I think we might take that train to Soller this time.

Riana

2 hours ago, alicat58 said:

Thanks Ron. No ways I am taking future SinL to Monserrat. I'm not ready for grandkids yet. Anyways they are planning to move to Australia next year. Mainly DD plan even though he is from Perth.

This is the wedding venue:http://www.ricketybridge.com/

Hopefully the weather will be OK and they can have the ceremony outside. Mummy finally got the whole outfit and thank the lord don't have to wear a silly hat or even sillier fascinator. Yuck.

Riana

It looks a beautiful setting.

I never understood my women must wear the stupid fascinators. I saw photos of the Ellie Goulding wedding, reminded me of Cinderella. Ellie as Cinderella and the ugly sisters played by (have the same name as the Minster).

Ron

13 minutes ago, alicat58 said:

25332688667_fb25d6ddf5_z_d.jpg

40003336411_e38a740374_z_d.jpg

26131098758_90ca74f7a3_z_d.jpg

39107091475_d8e9e287f9_z_d.jpg

39107093285_4660b35fbd_z_d.jpg

39295441124_f31194c388_z_d.jpg

I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the above! I copied the photos from one of my previous entries seeing that Flickr wants me to pay.

Riana

looks wonderful...please be sure to look for my post on the thread you created.

Hi TheLakeGirl

Thanks for your input.

Have to say I would not go to Monaco from Savona or Genoa. It's quite a distance and you have hardly any time to spend before you get back on the coach and head back. Genoa is already about 45 minutes by road from Savona. We used a Costa transfer from Nice to Savona our very first cruise. Whilst it is a scenic drive and has lots of tunnels. I think our drive took us above Monaco. Saw lots of large yachts.

Whilst I would like cooking tours hubby will die of boredom. He has his repertoire of a few dishes (mainly pasta) and that is it. Tried to teach him more but just not interested.

Are you staying in Civitavecchia before the cruise this time? There is so much to see and do in Rome. I cannot remember how many times we've been now but we find something new to do every time. We still have not been to the Spanish steps. We tend to chose one major attraction each time and just wander about the rest of the time and then have a pizza at an amazing place close to the Pantheon.

Keep in touch and post your plans.

Riana

I am not staying in Civitavecchia this time and will be spending two days in Trastevere after my 4 days of fun at Carnivale in Venice.  I didnt check the distance to Monaco, as I have been already but good info for anyone else reading. Some of the food tours allow you to select what you want to eat.  I have done all of the sites in Rome, but our friends haven't so we will do them again.  I am a bit concerned about doing Cinque Terre in February and am crossing my fingers that we have good weather during our trip.  

Edited by TheLakeGirl

Thank you for your posts!   I am researching a possible trip on Smerelda in the spring and am very nervous because I think Costa may be a very different experience than what we are used to (Caribbean, Mexico, and Alaska on Carnival and Princess).   I have been to Europe many times, but never on a cruise ship.   Your posts are making me more interested in giving Costa and this itinerary a try.   

The Costa ships have the same decor as the Carnival ones. I don't know about the newer ones but the older ones look identical from looking at other peoples posts. The ships are spotlessly clean.

I think the staff on Costa is amazing. They get to know you quickly by name and what you like to drink. We did not have the same experience on MSC recently though I really enjoyed the cruise. It can get hectic in the MDR at night and they do serve too many tables. Not sure whether it is similar on other lines. We are spoilt because we are Perla diamante so usually eat in the club restaurant. The food is the same as MDR but the service is much better as more servers in a smaller restaurant. Sometimes though we get a seperate area in the MDR if there are many suite guests.

For the price when we sail Costa nobody can beat them on price. High season in summer is another story. They are all very expensive then.

Think of it as "I am going on holiday, that is far better than being at work. Someone is cleaning up after me and cooking me multiple meals a day. On top of that I am visiting amazing places and have incredible experiences".

Riana

• Like 1