Tried Oceania Marina . . . and was disappointed.

jawlaw

19 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

I didn't dive down a rabbit hole. Neither did @Sthrngary. The discussion evolved from thinking Oceania in general and Marina specifically isn't what it used to be. The discussion then moved to "what are the alternatives". It only makes sense that Regent, Seabourn, Siversea and Crystal would be included in the discussion. 

Please accept my humble apology for trying to be helpful.

No need to apologize I was curious how it evolved to this. I did say it was interesting. Enjoy your future travels whatever line they may be on.

On 10/9/2019 at 4:18 PM, Sthrngary said:

Comparison as Promised: Foot note, I can't spell nor is my grammar acceptable.  My communication is good though.

Cruise Brand Comparison Assumption: Comparison on an excel spreadsheet for review. 10-day Cruise to the Mediterranean Sept/Oct 2020.  Regent vs. Oceania Cruise Lines.   Includes a hotel pre-cruise; adult drink packages; 7 port excursions (note, Regent is no charge; Oceania Perks 3 per guest); tips; transfers (note, transfers included with the Oceania pre-cruise hotel; Cost for debarkation day); and taxes/fees.  We must also consider that Oceania includes Premium Coach Airfare and Regent includes Business Class Airfare.  It must also be stated that the Oceania suite is a Penthouse with a Butler.  The Regent Suite is a Concierge Suite with no Butler.

Cost Difference: $3,798.00.

Cruise_Comparison_Luxury_Regent_vs_Oceania_2020.xlsx 12.92 kB · 42 downloads

I'm a little confused on a couple of things you have on there. On the Oceania side where you have $3550 under "subtotal perks" where did that figure come from? 

Also you state that the transfers are included with the Oceania hotel, but you have $89 twice for transfers. If you are using the Oceania figure for a hotel be advised that that is a per person figure. It is never a good deal, BTW.

To accurately compare I'd say you need to look at what hotels Regent is supplying and see what you could book that property for. 

Where is this cruise?

On 10/9/2019 at 5:18 PM, Sthrngary said:

Comparison as Promised: Foot note, I can't spell nor is my grammar acceptable.  My communication is good though.

Cruise Brand Comparison Assumption: Comparison on an excel spreadsheet for review. 10-day Cruise to the Mediterranean Sept/Oct 2020.  Regent vs. Oceania Cruise Lines.   Includes a hotel pre-cruise; adult drink packages; 7 port excursions (note, Regent is no charge; Oceania Perks 3 per guest); tips; transfers (note, transfers included with the Oceania pre-cruise hotel; Cost for debarkation day); and taxes/fees.  We must also consider that Oceania includes Premium Coach Airfare and Regent includes Business Class Airfare.  It must also be stated that the Oceania suite is a Penthouse with a Butler.  The Regent Suite is a Concierge Suite with no Butler.

Cost Difference: $3,798.00.

Cruise_Comparison_Luxury_Regent_vs_Oceania_2020.xlsx 12.92 kB · 43 downloads

The comparison is NOT apples to apples since Regent includes business class and Oceania includes Premium Coach. If you upgrade Oceania to Business class, it might actually be more expensive.

On the other hand, not everyone needs drinks package or all excursions included. Some prefer to pay only for what they really need.

42 minutes ago, ORV said:

I'm a little confused on a couple of things you have on there. On the Oceania side where you have $3550 under "subtotal perks" where did that figure come from? 

Also you state that the transfers are included with the Oceania hotel, but you have $89 twice for transfers. If you are using the Oceania figure for a hotel be advised that that is a per person figure. It is never a good deal, BTW.

To accurately compare I'd say you need to look at what hotels Regent is supplying and see what you could book that property for. 

Where is this cruise?

I will answer this question, however the add on's that need to be included to compare to the Regent All Inclusive example.  Just add the column and you will see it comes to $3550.00.  This was my BEST effort to make apples to apples.  $89 per person is the cost of transfers hence the column called guest 1 & 2.  When you get a hotel, you get the transfers as part of the hotel cost on Oceania. 

This was not easy to do, it was because I did most of this work before I booked the Oceania Cruise.  The real and important difference was the Business Class Airfare.  I was very clear on where the cruise was going, it was the Mediterranean. 10 days, Regent was in Sept 2020 and Oceania Oct 2020.

I did the best I could do to answer the questions. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ORV said:

Premium Coach is not always offered on Oceania, it is never included and requires an upcharge from $199 -$249 per person each way to add it. 

The up charge is on the excel for the premium.  It is part of the comparison.

I see that, I was replying to the other poster, I should have quoted them. But, I think you forgot to add in the $375 pp for tips. I also don't see how you came up with the $3550 as the subtotal for your perks. I come up with $5002 using your numbers. 

I still don't see how you came up with $20,998 as your total. I get $18000

I assume you booked the hotel through Oceania? Or is that private arrangements? If you booked through Oceania it is a per person charge on the hotel. 

I'm assuming that is not the cruise you're going on? You mentioned before Jun 4th on the Marina in 2020. I can't find that cruise. I see one on the 6th which is a Baltic cruise. 

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to help. But what would I know? 

PS, also if you plan on going in early or staying after the cruise you will have a deviation fee of $175 per person. I don't know how Regent handles that. 

Edited by ORV

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I see that, I was replying to the other poster, I should have quoted them. But, I think you forgot to add in the $375 pp for tips. I also don't see how you came up with the $3550 as the subtotal for your perks. I come up with $5002 using your numbers. 

I still don't see how you came up with $20,998 as your total. I get $18000

I assume you booked the hotel through Oceania? Or is that private arrangements? If you booked through Oceania it is a per person charge on the hotel. 

I'm assuming that is not the cruise you're going on? You mentioned before Jun 4th on the Marina in 2020. I can't find that cruise. I see one on the 6th which is a Baltic cruise. 

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to help. But what would I know? 

PS, also if you plan on going in early or staying after the cruise you will have a deviation fee of $175 per person. I don't know how Regent handles that. 

I owe everyone on this board an apology.  @ORV, you are right.  My formula was WRONG.  The total add on perks for Oceania was $5002.00.  I am so embarrassed.  The total with ad on's for Oceania was $18,000.00 just like you said.  So the difference between the two cruises was $6,598.00.

I can't say this more clearly. I made a calculation mistake and I am so sorry.  I meant well.  It does show that their is a substantial cost premium for Regent.  Yet if you want Bus class airfare, it would be a wash or very close. 

Folks, I meant well. 

Just now, Sthrngary said:

I owe everyone on this board an apology.  @ORV, you are right.  My formula was WRONG.  The total add on perks for Oceania was $5002.00.  I am so embarrassed.  The total with ad on's for Oceania was $18,000.00 just like you said.  So the difference between the two cruises was $6,598.00.

I can't say this more clearly. I made a calculation mistake and I am so sorry.  I meant well.  It does show that their is a substantial cost premium for Regent.  Yet if you want Bus class airfare, it would be a wash or very close. 

Folks, I meant well. 

Don't worry about it, I was just trying to figure the numbers, we all make addition mistakes. 

So which cruise are you going on?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORV said:

Don't worry about it, I was just trying to figure the numbers, we all make addition mistakes. 

So which cruise are you going on?

My wife and I are going on the Oceania Oct 6, 2020 sailing.  The most important reason is our closest friends chose this sailing and we know you always have a better cruise with great friends.  You share the experience.  I really wanted to spend the extra money and go on Regent if just for the Business Class Airfare alone. However, our friends could not swing the extra money.  I knew my wife and I would have so much of a better time with them so the decision was super easy.  Thank you for asking.

1 hour ago, JPR said:

Can we please stop posting digressions on this negative thread. Perhaps start a new one on point?

Yes....Becoming an accounting lesson. You’ve made your point and if not, start another thread.... call it 🍎 2 🍎

BTW, O Biz Class upgrade @$2k each way (Thailand/Beijing 2016) but not last few years....could qualify as another cut back.

Edited by Jayne E

47 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

My wife and I are going on the Oceania Oct 6, 2020 sailing.  The most important reason is our closest friends chose this sailing and we know you always have a better cruise with great friends.  You share the experience.  I really wanted to spend the extra money and go on Regent if just for the Business Class Airfare alone. However, our friends could not swing the extra money.  I knew my wife and I would have so much of a better time with them so the decision was super easy.  Thank you for asking.

So take the air credit  book your own Bus Class 

Book your own hotel & take a taxi  to the hotel then to the port

You will save more $$  you can use for drinks etc...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Ken, I'm curious - how is it to sail on HAL/Princess after trying Crystal and Oceania? And how would you compare Oceania and Crystal? 

Also, I have a feeling after reading different boards, that those cutbacks are not unique to Oceania. Just look at Celebrity board. Would you agree? Does it apply to Crystal as well?

We cruise on the different lines for different reasons.

HAL - We are having a great time on the 40 day Maasdam cruise we’re on now and would definitely consider booking another one of their in-depth EXC cruises. On sea days they have between 4-5 professional lectures plus a show every evening! However, due to HAL’s new focus on Music Walk entertainment on their other ships, we probably won’t cruise on any of those unless the in-depth EXC program expands to one of them.  For more of my thoughts on this, please see the HAL forum thread I recently opened regarding our current cruise. 

Princess - we can usually get great prices for mini suites, usually under $275 pp/day and around $300 for full suites on select 25+ day cruises. We also have a lot of FUN on Princess ships on sea days and in the evening as they usually have 5-6 assistants helping the CD with various events. They also offer a wide variety of very cool itineraries (see signature below). As far as negative changes go, the only one I’m aware of is the removal of the barrel chair in the regular balcony cabin which doesn’t effect us as we book higher category cabins. 

Crystal - they are just great and have some great lecturers on sea days and their food is always top notch. The only negative change we’ve noticed with them is they now have a penalty if you cancel a cruise without rebooking with them within a year. Since we like longer cruises that penalty would be $500 pp if the length was over 22 days, even if you cancel 2 years out! The only other shortfall is they only have 2 ships so that limits their itinerary offerings if you have to book another one within the year. I hear Regent also charges a cancellation penalty, but they only give you 6 months to rebook. 

Oceania - Our first cruise was on the Riviera in 2015 in an A category cabin and it was great to include the internet!! One memory that comes to mind was all of the great desserts we would try up at the Terrace Cafe in the evening. But I will say, the number of quality desserts to choose from has definitely gone down while the time standing in line up at the Terrance Cafe in the evening to get a steak or lobster cooked to order has definitely gone up.

But to be honest there really isn’t all that much to do except go to a lecture and play trivia on sea days and possibly go to the one 9:30 pm show. Yes, the O class ships have the hands-on culinary kitchen and the art studio, but after a few cruises on either of those 2 ships, they have pretty much become non starters for us. So having a quality internet service becomes even more imperative because of all the downtime. BUT we do enjoy playing putt-putt golf, croquet and paddle tennis up top when the weather is nice! 

But, since Princess has some very cool longer itineraries, gives OBC to military veterans which we both are, fair prices for suite category cabins, good food and a variety of fun things to do on sea days, you might now understand why we have booked so many future Princess cruises. 

We also book sky suites on Celebrity, but those are usually associated with a TA or TP cruise with a bunch of sea days as their regular itineraries are really not all that unique. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

That's a nice itinerary. We've been to most of those places and enjoyed it very much. Let's hope the Turkish situation remains somewhat stable and they don't have to adjust those ports again. We loved Ephesus and Istanbul. 

Good luck with your planning. 

34 minutes ago, ORV said:

Ephesus

Isn't it simply amazing and stunning.  I saw that Azamara had a post-dinner musical performance there a while back.  And we liked all of Turkey but we weren't on a cruise.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Isn't it simply amazing and stunning.  I saw that Azamara had a post-dinner musical performance there a while back.  And we liked all of Turkey but we weren't on a cruise.

Why don't you two exchange email addresses (or start a new thread) in order to discuss your vacations?

Interesting to the two of you, but off message.  Thanks :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayne E said:

Why don't you two exchange email addresses (or start a new thread) in order to discuss your vacations?

Interesting to the two of you, but off message.  Thanks 🙂

Well just for you I'll get back to the Marina. As I've mentioned before I didn't find the great downgrading that some seem to be reporting. As I've said before I feel it's an issue of unrealistic expectations along with people who thought they'd be fawned over on Oceania, and when that didn't happen they perceive it as going downhill due to NCL influence. In my great and unmatched wisdom I believe the sky is not falling. 

PS, on the OT thing, conversations evolve, if they didn't this thread would have been over a long time ago. Do you insist we stay on one topic at a shared dinner? Sounds like a joy. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ORV said:

....PS, on the OT thing, conversations evolve, if they didn't this thread would have been over a long time ago. Do you insist we stay on one topic at a shared dinner? Sounds like a joy. 

Too funny.  That is exactly what my husband said yesterday.  "Have these people never been to a dinner party?  Conversations evolve."

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Too funny.  That is exactly what my husband said yesterday.  "Have these people never been to a dinner party?  Conversations evolve."

Yet in the context of a Message Board, it is perhaps more considerate to start a new Thread when the topic shifts significantly so that the information may be searched in future.  

We were on Riviera last September and enjoyed it very much. I cannot compare it with Crystal/Regent (yet), but I cannot imagine anyone coming from Celebrity or Princess and not enjoying it. I also cannot compare to what it was 10 years ago as it was our first O cruise, but compared to Celebrity or Princess, it's a different league. We thought the food was outstanding. But I agree regarding activities, this was the only weak spot. Internet was not the best, but not the worst either.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 9:52 PM, AtA said:

Like the time we were having afternoon tea on Marina and I asked what the sandwich was. I was told it was egg salad and I took one. Then I bit into the sandwich and bit into a shrimp. I have a food sensitivity to shellfish. I went to the head of the afternoon tea to complain and he barely acknowledged my concern. Thankfully mine's not a full blown allergy but if it was, it could have killed me.

I do have a full blown allergy to shellfish and even though my Epi-Pen never left my side it could have had grave consequences for me. Your story reinforces my belief that there is a serious problem with how the kitchen is run on the Marina and hopefully those with food allergies who are contemplating travelling on the ship will take note.