Tried Oceania Marina . . . and was disappointed.

jawlaw

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

Yet in the context of a Message Board, it is perhaps more considerate to start a new Thread when the topic shifts significantly so that the information may be searched in future.  

43 minutes ago, cpecen said:

I do have a full blown allergy to shellfish and even though my Epi-Pen never left my side it could have had grave consequences for me. Your story reinforces my belief that there is a serious problem with how the kitchen is run on the Marina and hopefully those with food allergies who are contemplating travelling on the ship will take note.

Thank you.  Always willing to learn and it us very helpful to start  new threads 

We did not care for the Marina layout.  The main bar appeared to be a hallway with an aisle for diner to pass through to the restaurant. The library was not welcoming and the coffee bar was also poorly laid out.  I love the smaller ships and will not go on another Marina like ship 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, agnesd said:

We did not care for the Marina layout.  The main bar appeared to be a hallway with an aisle for diner to pass through to the restaurant. The library was not welcoming and the coffee bar was also poorly laid out.  I love the smaller ships and will not go on another Marina like ship 

I kind of considered that bar area as Overflow for Martinis...

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:26 PM, LHT28 said:

So take the air credit  book your own Bus Class 

Book your own hotel & take a taxi  to the hotel then to the port

You will save more $$  you can use for drinks etc...

Very good point.  I already booked the Drink Package online for my wife and my self.  My plan is to see if Delta has a Flash Sale to Europe before final payment.  Timing is about right. Then I will take the air credit.  I booked a Hotel the day before so on the Embarkation, the transfers are handled.  At the end, $89.00 times two seems fair for transfers from ship to airport. A year away so lots can happen.

31 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Very good point.  I already booked the Drink Package online for my wife and my self.  My plan is to see if Delta has a Flash Sale to Europe before final payment.  Timing is about right. Then I will take the air credit.  I booked a Hotel the day before so on the Embarkation, the transfers are handled.  At the end, $89.00 times two seems fair for transfers from ship to airport. A year away so lots can happen.

A Taxi to Athens  is 54E  per car  seems like  a better deal

Just saying

On 10/8/2019 at 11:53 PM, farmerj said:

Yes.  Just got off Insignia (9/28-10/5) and they are still serving lobster tails and steaks in the buffet; cooked to order.  (shrimp too)   But be aware, at least on Insignia, everything is overcooked.

Cooked to order, no way! I would call it reheated to order at best!

38 minutes ago, Winters Gate said:

Cooked to order, no way! I would call it reheated to order at best!

They are partially cooked and then finished when order is placed.

If they started with raw lobsters the line and waiting time would be doubled if not tripled.

If you think they are overdone just ask them to serve it sooner that the cook wants to (at your own risk).

Or better yet, if you think they are already cooked just ask them to give them to you as is. Will you accept responsibility if you get sick from potentially undercooked seafood?

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

They are partially cooked and then finished when order is placed.

If they started with raw lobsters the line and waiting time would be doubled if not tripled.

If you think they are overdone just ask them to serve it sooner that the cook wants to (at your own risk).

Or better yet, if you think they are already cooked just ask them to give them to you as is. Will you accept responsibility if you get sick from undercooked seafood?

Thats not the way it is, if I told them I wanted a lobstertail just like it is it would just be the same, colder for sure but not raw.

They are already cooked thru, they just put them on the grill to give them some heat. IF they where just partially cooked it would still be raw in the middle and it will take the heat almost about the same time to get to the middle as if it was totally raw so it would not save that much time. This "cook to order" thing is just for show, as you just said it will just take to long to do it the real way!

Edited by Winters Gate
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Winters Gate said:

Thats not the way it is, if I told them I wanted a lobstertail just like it is it would just be the same, colder for sure but not raw.

They are already cooked thru, they just put them on the grill to give them some heat. IF they where just partially cooked it would still be raw in the middle and it will take the heat almost about the same time to get to the middle as if it was totally raw so it would not save that much time. This "cook to order" thing is just for show, as you just said it will just take to long to do it the real way!

The key is did it taste good.  One of the image of cruising was always the excitement of the food. There was prime rib; lobster; steak and Baked Alaska night.  GREAT memories. The truth be told, the food always looked better then it tasted.  Yet at the time, it was the best thing in the world.

It is my understanding that All-In-All, the Oceania Cruiseline has some of the best tasting food on the sea.  NOT perfect, just above the norm.  I am going on the Marina and that is what this tread is about.  So please for those who have traveled it, would you consider the food overall, as good as other same level cruises you have been on? Again, perfection is not my question, improved quality, taste and experiences is my question.

20 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

So please for those who have traveled it, would you consider the food overall, as good as other same level cruises you have been on? Again, perfection is not my question, improved quality, taste and experiences is my question.

With the understanding that food is probably THE most subjective opinion one can give about a cruise line, I will say that OVERALL and IMO Oceania has the best food at sea.

I am making this comparison with lines like Silversea, Seabourn, Cunard (Princess Class), Regent, Crystal among others. The afternoon tea is also unmatched by any of those lines.

Have we had some less than perfect meals on Oceania? Yes, we have.

Have we had better individual dishes or meals on other lines? Yes, we have - but taken overall O beats them all for US.

This, of course, takes into account my tastes which may be different from others.

I am sure that others will have their own equally valid opinion.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Overall, I still find the food to be very good. I’ve learned not to order the lobster or steaks at the Grill in the Terrace because they always come out overdone. I tried a single lobster once again on my August cruise with the same result. How over cooked? Could barely cut it with a knife!

For us, far too many dishes, sauces, gravies, and soups have, as a chef said, been made more approachable for more passengers . This means in practicality they have been made bland tasting.

One will still find plenty of delicious food to eat. It is just a learning curve on deciding what you like and what you believe is ill prepared and avoiding the latter. I believe there is an issue with the warming trays keeping things warm in the Terrace. We normally avoid eating there for dinner or lunch because of it. We find the food far superior in the GDR where it is served to you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I am going on the Marina and that is what this tread is about.  So please for those who have traveled it, would you consider the food overall, as good as other same level cruises you have been on? Again, perfection is not my question, improved quality, taste and experiences is my question.

food is subjective

some will say it is bland  some will say it is boring & not enough choices

let's  just say I did not go hungry 😉

If you order something & it is not right for you  ask for something different

If it is not spicy enough ask for some more spice  to be added

Agree with Paul  do not miss afternoon tea  at least try it early in the cruise  & see if  you like it

YMMV

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

huge

Really huge!  I have (almost) countless flavorings - dried and liquid - and practically none get added after cooking.  And anytime I see 'steak sauce' on a table to me it screams 'don't order the steak'!  🙂

PS; I was turned onto fish sauce to boost the flavor of even non-Asian food.  

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Pinotlover - have you tried some of O’s competitors or some of the luxury lines?

You should - you may find that you would be happier with their food.

Paul;

I may get that chance soon. Food & Wine Trails, which will continue to run programs with Oceania , has now teamed with Crystal to do a series of cruises in 2020-2021. One in particular mirrors a cruise we have booked on Sirena, so we might flip over for a look at Crystal.

F&W Trails always put together great packages full of wonderful culinary and wine events not available to regular guests. Our one experience with them on the Marina was perhaps our most favorite Oceania experience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Paul;

I may get that chance soon. Food & Wine Trails, which will continue to run programs with Oceania , has now teamed with Crystal to do a series of cruises in 2020-2021. One in particular mirrors a cruise we have booked on Sirena, so we might flip over for a look at Crystal.

F&W Trails always put together great packages full of wonderful culinary and wine events not available to regular guests. Our one experience with them on the Marina was perhaps our most favorite Oceania experience.

I just saw a F&W article about 25 cruise lines with better food.  They mentioned that Azamara has an 8,000 bottle wine cellar!