Tried Oceania Marina . . . and was disappointed.

jawlaw

On 9/2/2019 at 5:00 AM, LHT28 said:

If the Head Chef does not know there is  a problem with his staff  then he cannot fix the problem

JMO

The Head Chef should know when there is a problem with his staff and correct it, thats what head Chefs are for, if someone have to tell the Head Chef that there is a problem the "Head Chef" is a big part of the problem and should be changed to a Head Chef.....

• Like 1

But you wouldn't need to go into the GDR during meal times, would you?

Many years ago I was giving a recital in Denmark after our cruise ended.  This was on Renaissance and in those days the GDR had a grand piano in the far (aft) corner with a small dancing floor as well.  We were able to rehearse in the GDR while waiters were setting up, etc.  I don't know if they appreciated what they were hearing (!) but there was no problem with our doing so.

So in your case, if you decide that working in the GDR would be appropriate ask permission from the authorities and you could easily spread out at a table.  If waiters were setting up for the next meal, I'm sure they'd be willing to wait until you are finished with your work.

It seems to me this could work ... assuming the authorities today would do as authorities did for us in 2001.

And it's not as if the waiters start setting up right after breakfast and continue until lunch, then continued after lunch until dinner time.  At least I don't THINK it is!

Mura

• Like 1

I very quietly read and internalize posts.  I used to react quickly and with a lot of aggression.  Now, I let things just play themselves out.  Two key issues on this thread.  Internet/Wifi and Food Related.  Both worthy of improvement by Oceania.  Especially since they are not main stream cruise lines, they are premium.  My motivation is a cruise I have booked Oct 2020.  So I have a vested interest.

I have written a letter to Oceania.  This is not my first letter written to a large company of products/services that seem to have issues.  It is very detailed, written in a non-confrontational yet direct style and also provides solutions to the issues based on my decades of customer service experience. Those letters were sent registered mail signature needed.  They were sent to the office of the high level leadership of Oceania and NCL the parent company. 

I am sharing this with those on this tread because if any issue is worthy of our time and debate, the company needs to know this conversation is serious and needs to be addressed. Selfishly, I am hoping that some of the issues could be resolved by my cruise.  My approach here has worked rather well for me in the past and I hope it will provide at least some improvements in the future. No response needed, just wanted everyone to know I was listening.

15 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Internet/Wifi and Food Related.  Both worthy of improvement by Oceania. 

It’s easy to guess what your issues were with wifi.

Do you care to share with us what your letter to Oceania had to say about food issues?

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I very quietly read and internalize posts.  I used to react quickly and with a lot of aggression.  Now, I let things just play themselves out.  Two key issues on this thread.  Internet/Wifi and Food Related.  Both worthy of improvement by Oceania.  Especially since they are not main stream cruise lines, they are premium.  My motivation is a cruise I have booked Oct 2020.  So I have a vested interest.

Reading your  post  it seems to imply you have not cruised on Oceania yet ?

Is that  the case?

I am sure Oceania has had thousands of complaints over the years on both topics  so I am wondering why you think a registered letter from you will make a big difference ?

18 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Reading your  post  it seems to imply you have not cruised on Oceania yet ?

Is that  the case?

I am sure Oceania has had thousands of complaints over the years on both topics  so I am wondering why you think a registered letter from you will make a big difference ?

LHT28, you are right and this should confirm I have not traveled oceania as of yet.  To clarify, I did not complain, that just gets passed on to the normal response cue.  I outlined social media opinions and expressed concern that my investment in a Vista cabin is such that they might want to take a look at the opinions being expressed.  

Many people assume that if you have not gone on a cruise or brand your thoughts are not weighted as high as if you have.  That is not the case in the customer service area's of these companies.  Their emphasis is future revenue and keeping it.  Also, what effects that future revenue like folks feelings that at the premium price, some items should be a given.  

My comments were done in the nicest and most professional way.  They emphasized area's of potential improvements that would support long term revenue.  Just to emphasize my point, next year I am going on two NCL cruises also.  The same approach of concern with simple well thought solutions get very positive results.  Hope that makes sense.

Either way, we the cruiser wins.  Communication is everything. 

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

It’s easy to guess what your issues were with wifi.

Do you care to share with us what your letter to Oceania had to say about food issues?

Sure, happy to respond.  Oceania and sister company Regents are known to have very good food.  You always get some cruiser that had a bad meal or something was not to their liking.  What has become apparent in recent years is the slow reduction of chooses in menu's.  Lots have been written about this and the cause is economics.  ALL cruise lines large and small are looking for ways to be both more price sensitive and max their return on investments.  The greatest recent example of this was a 25% off price for Regent Seven Seas cruises.  My focus on food was not quality, it was choices and options.  

My emphasis is transitioning from the huge main line cruise brands to Oceania, Regents, Ritz Carlton Collection, Virgin and others is to gain exclusivity, services, luxury and choices.  

I hope I have answered your question.  Remember, you get what you ask for so never give up. 

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I have written a letter to Oceania.  This is not my first letter written to a large company of products/services that seem to have issues.  It is very detailed, written in a non-confrontational yet direct style and also provides solutions to the issues based on my decades of customer service experience. Those letters were sent registered mail signature needed.  They were sent to the office of the high level leadership of Oceania and NCL the parent company. 

I am sharing this with those on this tread because if any issue is worthy of our time and debate, the company needs to know this conversation is serious and needs to be addressed. Selfishly, I am hoping that some of the issues could be resolved by my cruise.  My approach here has worked rather well for me in the past and I hope it will provide at least some improvements in the future. No response needed, just wanted everyone to know I was listening.

I hope your letters to the highest level of Oceania and NCL do the trick, but i fear the cutbacks came from there in the first place

OMG!  That's all.

LHT28, you are right and this should confirm I have not traveled oceania as of yet.  To clarify, I did not complain, that just gets passed on to the normal response cue.  I outlined social media opinions and expressed concern that my investment in a Vista cabin is such that they might want to take a look at the opinions being expressed.  

I appreciate your  response

I wonder if you are aware that management do read the forums  but maybe not as much as in recent years  before NCLH

You may get better service  but it may not be ship wide as you expect 😎

The squeaky wheel does get the attention 😉

Enjoy  if you  choose Oceania  if not  enjoy NCL or whatever  cruise you choose

Many people assume that if you have not gone on a cruise or brand your thoughts are not weighted as high as if you have.  That is not the case in the customer service area's of these companies.  Their emphasis is future revenue and keeping it.  Also, what effects that future revenue like folks feelings that at the premium price, some items should be a given.  

My comments were done in the nicest and most professional way.  They emphasized area's of potential improvements that would support long term revenue.  Just to emphasize my point, next year I am going on two NCL cruises also.  The same approach of concern with simple well thought solutions get very positive results.  Hope that makes sense.

Either way, we the cruiser wins.  Communication is everything. 

Welcome to the Oceania forum. At the very least your efforts could make a difference, but do realize that this is not the first time they've heard about these issues. They are very well aware that the internet is poor and lags far behind most of the cruise industry. How could they not be? 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I appreciate your  response

I wonder if you are aware that management do read the forums  but maybe not as much as in recent years  before NCLH

You may get better service  but it may not be ship wide as you expect 😎

The squeaky wheel does get the attention 😉

Enjoy  if you  choose Oceania  if not  enjoy NCL or whatever  cruise you choose

Knowing big companies like Royal, NCL, Carnival and others whom have upper lines that they have either acquired or developed, they do look at social media.  It is whom do the looking that makes a difference.  This task is usually done by low level associates in the respective customer service departments.  Not the folks that make the critical decisions. 

I knew when I wrote my post this morning I was opening up a can of worms.  I meant my efforts as a way to thank everyone on this and other Cruise Critic sub-directories for all the very useful information provided.  

On the Oceania vs. NCL. I feel I have to clarify.  I have fully recovered from a tough two years of health issues.  Lets just say, I was rather tough on my body during my 40 years on the road.  My recovery had lots to do with losing weight, healthy diet and a personal trainer that is cruel to me, LOL.  This next year is my gift to my self and my wife.  First cruise booked and paid for is NCL in the Haven in November, 2019.  Second cruise booked is with my family of 5 in the NCL Haven again going to New England/Canada is in June 2020.  Third cruise is a very special one for my 40th wedding anniversary in October 2020 on Oceania Marina in Europe with our best friends.  I share this because this will be our 19th through 22 cruises.  

Over the years, I have gotten very good at effective communication with cruise lines.  It does not always change things, however it always provokes dialog.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ORV said:

Welcome to the Oceania forum. At the very least your efforts could make a difference, but do realize that this is not the first time they've heard about these issues. They are very well aware that the internet is poor and lags far behind most of the cruise industry. How could they not be? 

I am quite sure they are aware.  The issue from an IT standpoint can be greatly improved (not eliminated) for a relatively low investment on their part.  My approach was to outline that solution instead of just saying the folks are dissatisfied with the service.  Long and short of it.  Ships use satellite dishes for communications.  Like in a home, bandwidth is always prioritized to the ship communication, safety and efficiency.   A section of that bandwidth is given to things like our internet usage.  

Newer ships have installed new satellites just for internet usage.  Sometimes the issue is as simple as access point with greater power or more access points.  Usually it is a keen to cell phones when everyone is on them at the same time.  Over crowding bandwidth. Technology has improved and the cost of that improvement has actually gone down.  

It is in the best interest of all cruise lines to look at this serious customer satisfaction issue now before we start looking at Oceania as a less then premium alternative.  Remember, all I am attempting to do is start a positive dialog on a subject that they already know is a sticking point for their honored clients. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Knowing big companies like Royal, NCL, Carnival and others whom have upper lines that they have either acquired or developed, they do look at social media.  It is whom do the looking that makes a difference.  This task is usually done by low level associates in the respective customer service departments.  Not the folks that make the critical decisions. 

I do believe  the President & CEO still read the forums  though  may not comment here

In the early years  Mr Del Rio  would comment  but not since  NCLH  were involved with the  Company

In any case  enjoy your  cruises

9 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

And I totally agree with you.  I find that so many people on social media complain but don't go to the top of the ladder within an organization.  Good for you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I am quite sure they are aware.  The issue from an IT standpoint can be greatly improved (not eliminated) for a relatively low investment on their part.  My approach was to outline that solution instead of just saying the folks are dissatisfied with the service.  Long and short of it.  Ships use satellite dishes for communications.  Like in a home, bandwidth is always prioritized to the ship communication, safety and efficiency.   A section of that bandwidth is given to things like our internet usage.  

Newer ships have installed new satellites just for internet usage.  Sometimes the issue is as simple as access point with greater power or more access points.  Usually it is a keen to cell phones when everyone is on them at the same time.  Over crowding bandwidth. Technology has improved and the cost of that improvement has actually gone down.  

It is in the best interest of all cruise lines to look at this serious customer satisfaction issue now before we start looking at Oceania as a less then premium alternative.  Remember, all I am attempting to do is start a positive dialog on a subject that they already know is a sticking point for their honored clients. 

I wish you well in your efforts. But until we read raving reviews on Oceania CC threads, much like this one, that the router connectivity issues in the cabin areas, let alone satellite bandwidth shortfalls, have been completely resolved on both the Riviera and Marina, we will not be sailing with O anytime soon. 

For example we’re on a 40 HAL cruise right now going around Australia and the SP on the Maasdam, which is definitely a lot older than either the Riviera or Marina, and I’m posting this from our cabin balcony on a sea day at 2:15 pm without any delays!

Edited by Ken the cruiser

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I wish you well in your efforts. But until we read raving reviews on Oceania CC threads, much like this one, that the router connectivity issues in the cabin areas, let alone satellite bandwidth shortfalls, have been completely resolved on both the Riviera and Marina, we will not be sailing with O anytime soon. 

For example we’re on a 40 HAL cruise right now going around Australia and the SP on the Maasdam, which is definitely a lot older than either the Riviera or Marina, and I’m posting this from our cabin balcony on a sea day at 2:15 pm without any delays!

Get off your computer and enjoy the view!!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Ken you are just lucky for the moment!!! 
we are 4 Star Mariners and did a month on Maasdam South America out of our home San Diego!! 9 times out of 10 the internet on board was awful!  Your in New Zealand right now! I’m on HaL board also!

As cotto22  said enjoy your cruise! 
Happy sailings

Denise😊

• Like 2

LOL!! We’ve been to 2 lectures so far today, one on crocodiles and one on coral, with 3 more to go as well as a rock opera in the main theater and eating in the MDR tonight which is a gala night. We also just finished walking 6 laps around the promenade. 

Sometimes one needs to just chill out on the veranda and get a CC fix  when there is a break in the action. 

But I also have to say with regards to internet reception out on our balcony, we bought a RavPower travel router for the cruise which allows up to 5 devices within 50 feet to use one shipboard account and it works great!!!

D36B9991-DC85-478D-9CEC-29F859025D09.jpeg