Re-Routing--How many days Notice??

tomtravel

We are Cruising out of NYC to Eastern Carib on Carnival Sunrise.  We are scheduled to sail Wednesday Sept.4.   If this Hurricane does not make landfall and breakup-it will travel up the coastline into our path.  My Question is how long before sailing do they inform you of change.  We could be looking at New England and Canada-"-very different clothes"  Safe travels all.

1 hour ago, tomtravel said:

We are Cruising out of NYC to Eastern Carib on Carnival Sunrise.  We are scheduled to sail Wednesday Sept.4.   If this Hurricane does not make landfall and breakup-it will travel up the coastline into our path.  My Question is how long before sailing do they inform you of change.  We could be looking at New England and Canada-"-very different clothes"  Safe travels all.

I’m watching too.  We’re also on this cruise.

• Like 1

When Irma went through Miami, we were notified 3 days in advance, then the day and the night before, then right after we boarded. As we were watching the hurricane center, Carnival was announcing almost as soon as the hurricane center issued updates. They really do try to notify you as soon as they know.

• Like 1

We've been rerouted due to hurricanes several times. We have never gotten official word before the cruise, but we always had a pretty good idea that it would happen. We've had Eastern Caribbean changed to Western, Western changed to Eastern, port order changed, ports substituted due to hurricane damage a few days before, and a 7 day turned into a 9 day (Port of Tampa was closed due to Frances). 

I do know a couple of people that got advance notice on their cruise, I think they got that a day ahead. 

We never care too much about where we're going, just as long as they don't run out of rum or tequila.

Pack a pair of pants or jeans and a light jacket or sweater to be on the safe side. They try and give as much notice as they can but hurricanes have a habit of changing their minds. People boarded in  Baltimore last year (or was it the year before), and didn't know until they were boarding about a change.

• Like 1

We got rerouted a few years ago due to a Tropical Storm. We were supposed to go to St. Thomas, and they sent us to DR instead, and the port wasn't fully opened yet. We were among the first few ships to dock there. I think we found out the night before, or possible 2 nights before, I can't remember for sure.

7 hours ago, tomtravel said:

We found out about the changes when we checked in at the port

I've had two September cruises rerouted due to hurricanes.  The last time it happened was last year and Carnival notified passengers two days before the cruise with the new itinerary.  I was supposed to go to Bermuda.  I am cruising out on the 7th of this month and will hopefully finally make it to Bermuda.

• Like 1

Are you arriving into NY the day before?  Your itinerary may/may not change, but your boarding time could change.

Today, Carnival Paradise out of Tampa, they told guest to arrive between 10:00 am - 1:00 pm.  All guest must be on by 1:30 pm.

Guest who planned to fly in today of this cruise, probably was not able to get an earlier flight.

Keep checking Carnival's website for updates and plan accordingly.

Happy Sails & have a great time!

10 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Pack a sweatshirt just in case.

Switching from Eastern to Western would be fine,  I live in NY so I can wait to pack--but my cousin is packing for the Caribbean and bring warm clothes.  The temperature in New England and Canada is about 40 degrees cooler during the day and more at night!

Off Topic-- I do realize that a storm that stays off the coast will save lives-and that is what really matters.

We were supposed to be doing a Western Caribbean out of Tampa back in the mid 2000's.  We received the notice that it was going to be an Eastern Caribbean cruise when we arrived at the pier.

Same for a cruise on the Glory  out of Port Canaveral in 2008.  In that case they handed us a paper saying our Eastern Caribbean cruise would be a Western Caribbean cruise because the islands we were due to visit had been severely damaged by multiple hurricanes in the previous weeks.  I boarded that Glory cruise the same day Hurricane Ike hit our home in Texas.  I had to stay in Florida a few extra days because the power was still out and Houston Hobby Airport had not yet reopened.  It was really eerie flying into Houston at night and there were hardly any lights, except for those at the airport.  No traffic lights, no tolls and no electric for another week after I got home.

12 hours ago, tomtravel said:

Switching from Eastern to Western would be fine,  I live in NY so I can wait to pack--but my cousin is packing for the Caribbean and bring warm clothes.  The temperature in New England and Canada is about 40 degrees cooler during the day and more at night!

Off Topic-- I do realize that a storm that stays off the coast will save lives-and that is what really matters.

The temps shouldn't be that different in September.  We did Canada in August and October - the coolest day in October we had was still in the high 50's (next day was low 70's and sunny) so light jacket and pants should be enough. Maybe throw in a sweatshirt too.

• 2 weeks later...

We were blessed with 8 Beautiful days of Sunshine--The captain took that ship Alllllllll the way out almost to Bermuda, then turned south.  We continued south as Dorian moved towards the east coast. We went South to clear weather after 1 night of semi-rough seas.  Compliments to the Navigational team!

6 hours ago, tomtravel said:

We were blessed with 8 Beautiful days of Sunshine--The captain took that ship Alllllllll the way out almost to Bermuda, then turned south.  We continued south as Dorian moved towards the east coast. We went South to clear weather after 1 night of semi-rough seas.  Compliments to the Navigational team!

Very good to hear something positive. Hurricanes create havoc on "Everything", and cruiselines are going to do all possible to ensure the safety of pax and their assets (ships) and crew.

We've sailed out trying to get ahead of hurricane ( took 2 tugs just to get us away from dock in Miami) and missing KW. 

Also tried out racing hurricane back to Port ( Miami again) and port closing on us .When people choose to sail during peak hurricane, it's a choice they made and sometimes you win, sometimes you loose.

We love Sept./Oct. and know the pit falls.

• Like 1

We were do to sail the Horizon 2 weeks ago on Sunday when Hurricane Dorian was approaching.  It's a fluid thing.

Starting Friday we start getting text that the were evaluating and would give future updates, but please continue with your travel plans 

We found out via text Saturday evening  that the port would allow them to dock and disembark passengers but would not let them stay to embark the next morning.    Then we would get update text that they were evauating the storm but at the time the port was closed.

Monday they said that the cruise was going to be shorten to 3 days leaving Wednesday

Option 1  Cancel and get 100% future cruise credit of cruise fare only. Everything else refundable (shore, pre paid tips ETC) Up to $200 p.p. for flight change

option 2  Sail get a 50% refund and 50% FCC plus refunded  the rest that was refundable.

We stayed and sailed and I think Carnival was fair.  We did rack up a pretty good bill with food and lodging for 3 extra days. Thank God we have insurance to claim for trip delay.

Many on our FB page think carnival sucks for not giving them full refund (not FCC) or just canceling the cruise early so they didn't have to fly in with the late notice.

Carnival wanted us to sail, They asked permission for the port to let them stay and embark but the port said no.

It ordeal totally sucked but not because of Carnival. Also our aggravation seems so petty as to what the poor people in the Bahamas are going thru

• Like 1