Cancelled cruise - FCC, no refund?

foggyphils

I have a carnival cruise in 3 weeks (during hurricane season) so preparing myself what happens in these cancelled cruise situations. 

I’m reading that people are getting FCC. Can you not get a refund instead?

And if you have insurance and get a  FCC, will the insurance take that into consideration when it reimburses you for a cancelled cruise?

Go on over to Carnival's website and read the latest update.  It would be a pretty good indicator of how they would handle anything in the future.  I am cruising in 2 weeks...hoping Mother Nature gets it all out of her system by then!  Even if we change ports, I'm still on a cruise so it's all good.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, foggyphils said:

I have a carnival cruise in 3 weeks (during hurricane season) so preparing myself what happens in these cancelled cruise situations. 

I’m reading that people are getting FCC. Can you not get a refund instead?

And if you have insurance and get a  FCC, will the insurance take that into consideration when it reimburses you for a cancelled cruise?

The insurance company won’t reimburse you if a full future cruise credit is issued. They only reimburse for losses that you have incurred. In this case, there’s no loss if 100% of this cruise price ends up being a future cruise credit because you will get what you paid for...eventually. 

August 31, 2019

Dear Carnival Horizon Guest,

Thank you for your patience as we continue to assess Hurricane Dorian's impact on your cruise for tomorrow.

Our Fleet Operations Center has remained in close contact with port officials. This morning, we received approval to return to PortMiami this evening, in anticipation of a potential port closure on Sunday. Guests on the current cruise will have the opportunity to disembark this evening. 

Local officials are requiring the ship depart PortMiami tonight. We are seeking approval from the authorities to remain docked until tomorrow so we can complete the embarkation process for your cruise. Officials are continuing to assess the storm's track and this approval is not expected to come before 5:30 PM today. If we do not receive this approval, the ship will sail tonight and may not return until Wednesday. Once the ship returns to Miami next week, we will operate a shortened voyage. If the modified voyage does not work for you, you will have the opportunity to cancel and receive a 100% future cruise credit.  Guests who sail on the shortened voyage will receive a pro-rated refund of the unused days. 

We recognize some of you have flights planned to Miami for today. In the event we cannot operate tomorrow's cruise as planned and you wish to return home, we encourage you to contact the airline as they are being flexible with waiving change fees. If you incur change fees, Carnival will reimburse up to US$200, per person (please email your receipt to airreimbursements@carnival.com). Regrettably, Carnival Horizon guests who are in Miami today for tomorrow's cruise cannot be accommodated on board this evening.

We apologize for the uncertainty of the situation but want you to have as much information as possible as you consider your options. We will be back in touch with you later today. Once again, we are grateful for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely, 

Colleen Oliverio
VP, Guest Services - Contact Centers

This is what they are doing right now for canceled or changed cruises.

I would imagine it will be the same for any future storms.

Carnival Liberty 09/02/19 – This cruise is cancelled. Guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare and any pre-purchased items. More details to follow in our email.

Carnival Victory 9/02/19 – This cruise will now operate as a 2 day cruise departing Wednesday, 9/4 with one port of call, to be determined. Guests who sail will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare and any pre-purchased beverage and Wi-Fi packages. Guests who wish to cancel will receive a future cruise credit for the full amount of their cruise fare. An email with additional details will follow.

I have filed several cruise claims and future credits for cruise and airfare are not reimbursed by insurance. My insurance company actually has me still put that on the claim form then the explanation of benefits shows the fare as non payable because of previous reimbursement from the carrier.

From what I have seen, if Carnival totally cancels the cruise, they have given a REFUND of your payment, whereas if they modify the cruise (shortened or whatever) and YOU decide to cancel, you get future cruise credit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Davey Wavey said:

I have filed several cruise claims and future credits for cruise and airfare are not reimbursed by insurance. My insurance company actually has me still put that on the claim form then the explanation of benefits shows the fare as non payable because of previous reimbursement from the carrier.

From what I have seen, if Carnival totally cancels the cruise, they have given a REFUND of your payment, whereas if they modify the cruise (shortened or whatever) and YOU decide to cancel, you get future cruise credit.

This is what they are offering today for the Horizon. If you take the shorter cruise they are refunding the pro rated missed days 

On 8/31/2019 at 5:01 PM, Davey Wavey said:

Ok, that’s the difference I was missing. Cancel vs Modify. Thank you. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Banditswife said:

sounds like a scheduling nightmare.  

They're used to it and probably have a very elaborate "what if" algorithm that can knock this out in minutes. The part that keeps them up in the air is the direction of the storm and the speed of the storm. Will the port be closed or stay open? Is there enough time for the ship to leave the port and get to hell out of the way of the storm, etc. What ports on the itinerary will be open? What airports will be open ? Once they know all of this, then click click bang bang and the printout has the answer. 🙂

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 1

Our trip went from 5 days to 2 days. So I opted to getting the credit. The taxes & port charges went back to my credit card.

When I booked another cruise with the credit, the trip was cheaper than the price I paid/ credit amount. Carnival does not apply the difference to the taxes. So I had to forfeit the amount left over. 

Edited by natpoo

43 minutes ago, natpoo said:

Our trip went from 5 days to 2 days. So I opted to getting the credit. The taxes & port charges went back to my credit card.

When I booked another cruise with the credit, the trip was cheaper than the price I paid/ credit amount. Carnival does not apply the difference to the taxes. So I had to forfeit the amount left over. 

Could you have upgraded your cabin?