Search for the Nations - Terrible Prize!

yogimax

Just like the secret to life is all about the search for the secret and not the secret itself....... I’ll bet Stevie is excited about his quest to win the game then about the prize! Years ago I won a karaoke contest on a Carnival Cruise....I won a 14kt plastic ship on a stick! I love the cheap little ship and still have it to this day!! Not everything in life is about the monetary value ! 

15 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

On a related topic, for those who play trivia, does RC do it 100% orally like Carnival or do they show the questions on a screen like NCL. I am hard of hearing and Carnival was a pain, especially with all the accents. Those with perfect hearing were having trouble and the questions had to be continually repeated. Not necessary at all with a screen and laptop setup right behind them! NCL was so much smoother. Asking specifically about Harmony. TIA

Virtually all orally.

10 hours ago, kidless said:

Just like the secret to life is all about the search for the secret and not the secret itself....... I’ll bet Stevie is excited about his quest to win the game then about the prize! Years ago I won a karaoke contest on a Carnival Cruise....I won a 14kt plastic ship on a stick! I love the cheap little ship and still have it to this day!! Not everything in life is about the monetary value ! 

True!  The question should be did he have fun?  Did he learn anything about other countries ? Did  he learn anything about people from other countries?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I OBSESSED about this on Empress of the Seas in 2019.  My family found everyone (and more!) We even got the Captain's signature (Italy).  Unfortunately, some more-experienced cruisers took first place because they found more officers, but we came in second and got:

• RC string backpack
  • Highlighter/carabiner
  • reusable shopping bag
  • RC water bottle.

We had a blast doing it!

On 8/31/2019 at 4:15 PM, yogimax said:

Sorry, but the lesson he learned was

Work hard... Excel... Do your best...  Strive for perfection...

Understand that the corporation cares little for your excellence and is laughing all the way to the quarterly profit statements!

Yes, that's cynical but I care for kids who seek to be their best and deserve a better reward!  C'mon, this was a 13 year old.  Give me a keychain for winning trivia.  I don't care.  But don't take it out on the kids!  They are your future, RCCL.  Encourage them!

Yeah.  All those evil corporations that take all the risk of being in business and employee most of the US.  

I think the important lesson is to do things for your own enjoyment, not to get some meaningless trophy or prize.   

• Like 1

Understand that the corporation cares little for your excellence and is laughing all the way to the quarterly profit statements!

Yes, that's cynical but I care for kids who seek to be their best and deserve a better reward!  C'mon, this was a 13 year old.  Give me a keychain for winning trivia.  I don't care.  But don't take it out on the kids!  They are your future, RCCL.  Encourage them!

There was a fabulous singer/songwriter, Steve Goodman, who passed far too young. This is the second and third stanza from his incredible 1972 song, "The Lovin' of the Game." Give it a read and a listen.

All my life I ran around searching hard from town to town
But I never ever found anything to tie me down
Still I wouldn't trade my time for a solid diamond claim
No, I would not trade a fortune for the lovin' of the game

So long, darling, don't you cry, I hope that things pan out for you
All the good times going by, got to have ourselves a few
Where I'm going has no end, what I'm seeking has no name
No, the treasure's not the takin', it's the lovin' of the game
No, the treasure's not the takin', it's the lovin' of the game

He said it was the highlight of the cruise.

He won and was acknowledged in front of all the other participants.

What else would/should you want? 

Seems to be too trivial a matter for concern. 

• Like 1

My DH won the Star Wars Trivia twice. First time was a pen... we just chuckled.

This last time on the Allure a few weeks ago, he got a medal, a water bottle and a bag in a bag. I think with the low expectations of the "prizes" this second time around felt like he had won the jackpot! LOL. All in all it was great fun and he won his bragging rights.  

I just read all 4 pages in anticipation of what could have resurrected this after 3 years. I kept waiting for the reveal of Stevie’s return 3 years later. Is he still wearing the Bingo shirt? Did he return to RCI with vengeance in mind, rueing the day he “won” a crappy T-shirt? Did he just win Teen Jeopardy with his vast geographical knowledge? Is he interning this summer on the crew after having made life-long kinships? I’m kind of disappointed to just hear about other prizes. I’m curious what 16-year-old Stevie is up to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Why does doing one’s best have to involve a prize?!  Can’t just doing your best and knowing how hard you worked for a good outcome be “prize” very good lesson IMO.  Enough real problems in the world already than to get riled up over a t-shirt.

• Like 1

Two stories:  We entered a family game on Carnival that was announced on one of the first days of the cruise, and the competition was one of the last days. It was to create a 'seaworthy' vessel. In our off time, the 3 kids in our party had a lot of fun scavenging the ship for items and using the craft things I had brought to make a shoebox 'yellow submarine' complete with wood deck (coffee stirrers), paper coffee cup pontoons, and clay 'Beatles'. When you launched it in the pool, everyone sitting around the edge kicked their legs to churn up the water, and possibly capsize your boat. 

The two that didn't sink was ours and someone who used an apple (Genius! They float!) and they had carved out a wee deck and stuck some grapes on it to be the people. Since they had two winners, Carnival gave two sets of prizes - a plastic but fancy looking trophy of a cruise ship (one per family), and pretty heavy duty medals on red, white and blue ribbon for everyone else in the two parties. Fancy!  

On Royal one time, I got chosen on the first formal night to be Queen of the Ship for a Mardi Gras cruise in New Orleans. I was in a big poofy princess type dress, and it was supposedly random who got served the King Cake with a cherry in it - but they chose the King from the second seating and he looked just like Henry VIII, so maybe it wasn't random. Anyway, Royal showered me with prizes: A pretty fancy velvet and gilt crown (think: Imperial Margerine!), a free shore excursion of our choice, free spa treatments including manicure, facial and fancy hairdo (50+ bobby pins!), and on the final night of the cruise, there was a party on the pool deck with a Mardi Gras costume parade. The King and I were the judges, and it was so fun! They gave out amazing swag bags to the two winners we selected - and just when I was looking longingly at them, Royal staff pulled out two more "For the King and Queen!". It was amazing.

My takeaway is that prizes have indeed gotten a little chintzier over the years, and that it was super fun for a 40 year old former nerd to get to be Queen for a week.

Edited by Travelgrrl
  • Like 1