Stop off suggestions en route to S. American ports from Manchester UK

tring

We are considering a HAL cruise between Bueunos Aires and Santiago, but really do not want an arduous flight so are thinking of stopping off in one or more places to break the journey in both directions.  Perhaps the South East US (e.g. Florida) or further north in S. America would be a good idea, but we have no knowledge of flights to the ports we wish to use, so can anyone please help with suggestions regards that to increase our holiday experience.  The only place we have been to in S. America is an Amazon cruise and also only done  a couple of cruise ports in the Southern US so land stays would be good in both of those places.

We would love to do an expedition ship but will not be doing so because of cost and also our age (will be in early 70's and other places to be visited).

We have done this cruise several times and loved it . We have flown from MIA to Buenos Aires on Aerolineas Argentinas and both times because they were all day flights . When we flew from MIA to Santiago in 2009 on LAN , they were both Night flights . It made a big difference .

38 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We have done this cruise several times and loved it . We have flown from MIA to Buenos Aires on Aerolineas Argentinas and both times because they were all day flights . When we flew from MIA to Santiago in 2009 on LAN , they were both Night flights . It made a big difference .

Thank you, that is very interesting, night flights are something we hate.  Going East has become much better since we discovered the airside hotel in Dubai airport, which is a 7/8 hours direct flight from Manchester.

We can get a direct flight from Manchester to Orlando, but not Miami.  Thinking we can have a holiday in Florida as well, but is the only way to get to Miami from there by driving or are there any trains or short flights we could use?  I have lost my driving licence due to a medical condition, so do not have the option of a second driver, which we would have done when younger.

PS  I am following your blog and finding it really good, but do not want to interrupt your posts on that thread with a thank you just yet.

18 minutes ago, tring said:

Thank you, that is very interesting, night flights are something we hate.  Going East has become much better since we discovered the airside hotel in Dubai airport, which is a 7/8 hours direct flight from Manchester.

We can get a direct flight from Manchester to Orlando, but not Miami.  Thinking we can have a holiday in Florida as well, but is the only way to get to Miami from there by driving or are there any trains or short flights we could use?  I have lost my driving licence due to a medical condition, so do not have the option of a second driver, which we would have done when younger.

PS  I am following your blog and finding it really good, but do not want to interrupt your posts on that thread with a thank you just yet.

We usually fly MIA to LHR , can you fly to London ? If you prefer Orlando they have Brightline in the works . https://www.gobrightline.com/orlando  . You could also fly from Orlando or , I believe , they also have charter buses to Miami .

10 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We usually fly MIA to LHR , can you fly to London ? If you prefer Orlando they have Brightline in the works . https://www.gobrightline.com/orlando  . You could also fly from Orlando or , I believe , they also have charter buses to Miami .

Thank you very much for that link.  Further searching seems to have picked up that Virgin are taking over and plan a 3 hour train route to Miami, so will keep an eye out, or flying may be better because of luggage - we can always pay for excess luggage but would not have to lug it on a train.  Our mainline trains to London are run by Virgin.

We could travel via London, but there are frequently delays/cancellations and would prefer not to take too many small journeys without finding somewhere we have not visited before to stay a while.  We hate London as well, tjough we could book change in Portugal or Spain as other options.  I think we may need to speak to an agent at this stage, but your advice has been invaluable - thanks again.

1 minute ago, tring said:

Thank you very much for that link.  Further searching seems to have picked up that Virgin are taking over and plan a 3 hour train route to Miami, so will keep an eye out, or flying may be better because of luggage - we can always pay for excess luggage but would not have to lug it on a train.  Our mainline trains to London are run by Virgin.

We could travel via London, but there are frequently delays/cancellations and would prefer not to take too many small journeys without finding somewhere we have not visited before to stay a while.  We hate London as well, tjough we could book change in Portugal or Spain as other options.  I think we may need to speak to an agent at this stage, but your advice has been invaluable - thanks again.

You're welcome . If it were us , we would fly , 1 hour and 9 minutes $172 USD RT . When we booked with Aerolinas we booked a 3 leg flight . MIA to EZE RT and a flight to or from Santiago to BA .

• Like 1