Rony’s Tours Question

Techie_Chick

After reading all of the positive reviews here and elsewhere, we’ve decided to book a private tour with Rony’s.

After placing the booking he asked us to pay a deposit or pay in full. We don’t have a problem with this. We were actually thinking of just paying in full so we don’t have to worry about it when we get there.

My concern is what if we miss the port for some reason. Does anyone have any experience with booking a tour with Rony’s and then not making it there for some reason?  Was he hard to get a refund from?

He is very trustworthy.  We have know him and toured with him for 10 years +/-.  I'm sure he'd refund your money if the port was missed for some reason.  He, as well as the other tour companies, rely on business from tourists to support their families.  I doubt any would risk a bad review by not refunding your money.  Rony is a great guy - I'm sure you will have a memorable day!

On 9/1/2019 at 8:00 AM, Techie_Chick said:

After reading all of the positive reviews here and elsewhere, we’ve decided to book a private tour with Rony’s.

After placing the booking he asked us to pay a deposit or pay in full. We don’t have a problem with this. We were actually thinking of just paying in full so we don’t have to worry about it when we get there.

My concern is what if we miss the port for some reason. Does anyone have any experience with booking a tour with Rony’s and then not making it there for some reason?  Was he hard to get a refund from?

This was the issue I was having.  Seems like both Rony and Bodden are highly recommended here.  For a upcoming sailing,  Rony asked for a deposit or pay in full... Bodden didn't.  I ended up booking with Bodden.  Trip hasn't happen yet, so we'll see how that goes.  Looking at the older reviews, Rony didn't use to ask for a deposit.

8 hours ago, Glide_Path said:

This was the issue I was having.  Seems like both Rony and Bodden are highly recommended here.  For a upcoming sailing,  Rony asked for a deposit or pay in full... Bodden didn't.  I ended up booking with Bodden.  Trip hasn't happen yet, so we'll see how that goes.  Looking at the older reviews, Rony didn't use to ask for a deposit.

We did end up deciding just to pay it in full. That way, it’s already paid for and we don’t have to worry about bringing cash with us for it. And after talking to Rony about it, he did say he would refund if the boat missed the port. 

Good of luck with your tour with Bodden. I did see he has really good reviews as well. You’ll have to let me know how it goes. My cruise isn’t until April. 

I’m so excited for this tour. We’re going to be doing the sloths and Little French Key. 

Edited by Techie_Chick
Spelling
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, sailorcrew said:

Did Rony send you a bill from Paypal or just ask you to transfer money to him via Paypal?

He just told me what the total amount due was, and gave me instructions for paying him through PayPal. No bill through PayPal. 

i would really like to book rony for our upcoming cruise in march.  we are not beach people as we live in sw fla and can go any time.  we are very interested in the cacao factory for sure and perhaps daniel johnson's sanctuary.  i am getting a bit more environmentally conscious and wondering if the places they take you to see the animals are truly sanctuary places or tourist traps. i have seen videos of the monkeys in cages...small cages...and also know that neither monkeys nor sloths are native to roatan.  that is not to say i would not want to go to support an actual sanctuary that has saved these creatures from being tossed aside as unwanted pets or tourist attractions.  anyway...i guess i am asking others opinions on that.  also, what is the restaurant like that rony takes you to?  we are very excited for this trip and appreciate the opinions of others who have been.

• 2 months later...

Skateycat we opted to go to Gumbalimba Park as it looked like the monkeys and birds wouldn't kept in cages. We booked a private excursion with Rony's for this coming March and looking at the botanical gardens and chocolate factory also. We have two beach days on this cruise so that didn't interest us.

• 2 weeks later...

Have used Roney many times we always have Hector and he takes us to a great beach club for drinks and food.  the drinks are quite reasonable  and we have never had a bad meal and we usually have the place mostly to ourselves.  The name of the club is Ronnie’s Barefoot beach club no relation they say it is a short walk down the beach to it from the parking but well worth it.  

• Like 1

We booked with Rony last week for our trip on the Pearl March 1st.  We asked for a personalized excursion.  We want to see the SLOTHS and MONKEY's and so the Rum Factory tour and the chocolate factory tour.  They agreed and a few days later he asked for the deposit via email.  I haven't paid it yet but going to take care of it this weekend based on everyones information here.

Edited by kdpatte

We've used both Rony's and Bodden and they were both great.  This last cruise (December/January) we had Arnold at Rony's and he was the BEST.  We loved him.  If you can ask for him specifically, you should.  He is very proud of and loves the island (grew up there) and it was so interesting and lovely to hear his stories.  One of our best excursions we've ever taken - by far.

• 4 weeks later...

For the people that have had great days with Rony...  can you please tell me what your tour consisted of?  We are going to have a 10 month old baby with us... so I'm trying to figure out what we should ask to do.  

I'm a little concerned with the monkey/sloths being dirty/germy?  Did anyone get that vibe from them?  

On 2/9/2020 at 9:55 AM, melnemac32 said:

For the people that have had great days with Rony...  can you please tell me what your tour consisted of?  We are going to have a 10 month old baby with us... so I'm trying to figure out what we should ask to do.  

I'm a little concerned with the monkey/sloths being dirty/germy?  Did anyone get that vibe from them?  

My tour was non animals.  I work as a veterinary technician and around animals, birds and other exotics all the time so not part of my tour.

I just wanted a feel and vibe of the island.  We stopped at various  viewpoints,  went to the beach, viewed local resorts and hotels suggested for extended vacation.   The highlights was visiting in Coxen hole a local artist and buying his wood carvings.   Also at one of the roadside stand purchased my mother and sister in law  a Maghoney salad bowl set.  Very nice heavy set  letter pricing and more items than ones in port area.  Also went to local supermarket for coffee alot cheaper than in the port and really great.  Last had lunch small local place.  Fish was great and love the hot sauce.   

Also to point out I was solo and not charge an arm and leg for the tour.

Had a great time and plan to use him again in December.   While on this upcoming tour, more beach time, otherwise,  want to eat local, stop at supermarket and buy some more local art

17 hours ago, airlink diva said:

Also to point out I was solo and not charge an arm and leg for the tour.

Did you have a completely private tour for 1? I have always found tour prices between operators on Roatan to be fairly standard, with a sliding scale  depending on number of people in the van. I agree for a tour the prices are reasonable. 

The problem with Roatan is trying to just get transport from A to B and back. That is expensive unless you just take a shuttle to a regular tourist location.  

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Did you have a completely private tour for 1? I have always found tour prices between operators on Roatan to be fairly standard, with a sliding scale  depending on number of people in the van. I agree for a tour the prices are reasonable. 

The problem with Roatan is trying to just get transport from A to B and back. That is expensive unless you just take a shuttle to a regular tourist location.  

Yes it was just me and no one else.  Didn't want to share a tour.  The pricing was under $100 for about five hours or so.

It was nice where some parts just stayed short period  and other longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the post We found Rony while looking at how to get to West Bay. Very informative and quick to respond. They had know issue when I told them I was not looking to book yet and just wanted information. We have to wait for a few incoming checks to come through and a new travel card before we book. Just trying to determine whether Bananrama  or Infinity Bay. Having a pool to jump in as well is appealing.

• 1 month later...

You will be glad you chose Rony.  We've been touring with him for years.  We spent 8 days at the Mayan Princess.  That whole area of West Bay is beautiful.  The snorkeling down towards Infinity is amazing.  We really liked having the pool.  Bananarama has good food if you go somewhere that doesn't include food.

• Like 1