Elite benefit

Carla3

Just reading through the Elite benefits on

Princess Website.

Complimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting16
Our Grapevine Wine Tasting Event is popular and many of our Members attend, so we have made arrangements to pick up the cover charge for you

I wasn’t aware of this perk. Is this in the Vines bar or the wine tasting that they have in the dining room? I’ve been charged for the one they hold in the dining room!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carla3 said:

Princess Website.

Our Grapevine Wine Tasting Event is popular and many of our Members attend, so we have made arrangements to pick up the cover charge for you

I wasn’t aware of this perk. Is this in the Vines bar or the wine tasting that they have in the dining room? I’ve been charged for the one they hold in the dining room!

Dining Room.

14 minutes ago, Carla3 said:

Princess Website.

You will get a notice in your cabin with the date and time.

• Like 1

Nothing to get excited about.  Downsized.  Maybe one sparkling wine/dessert wine, 2-3 whites, 2-3 reds, and some cheese and crackers.  Just a  taste (1 ounce pour?).  Good time to socialize.  I give all of my red wines away.  First few times it was fun.  Now, it just drags on and on and on.

I won't mention what was taken away or modified.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Carla3 said:

Princess Website.

We've been to this "perk" only once.  We are wine drinkers and we did not find this particular perk of much interest.  IIRC, we got two small cubes of cheese and 2 grapes, and a package of saltine crackers.  If you're a first time elite, by all means go to it and experience it for yourself.  On the first and second day of the cruise, the waiters in the Lido buffet hit you hard with trying to sell wine tasting.  Don't go for it as you get one for free.

9 minutes ago, Jaymuxman said:

I was on the Crown in March and we got a notice in our cabin with the day and time. No phone call.

It's by invitation.  Your name(s) are on the invitation and you present it at the door of the wine tasting day.

15 minutes ago, elliair said:

It's by invitation.  Your name(s) are on the invitation and you present it at the door of the wine tasting day.

I realize that was just noting it was an invitation and not a phone call as someone had mention.

52 minutes ago, elliair said:

On Royal Princess there is no invitation to present. The phone call you receive gives you the details and you just show your black Medallion at the door.

1 hour ago, idahospud said:

On Royal Princess there is no invitation to present. The phone call you receive gives you the details and you just show your black Medallion at the door.

We've never received a phone call for the elite wine tasting.  Never experienced using the Medallion yet.  Our next cruise on the Star is not geared up for the Medallion.  Matters not, we won't be attending the wine tasting. 

We went once, and it was actually a lot of fun. We sat with interesting people, and we even learned new things, even though we live near wine country and have been TiVo numerous tastings through the year, we still found the Princess wine tasting quite informative! 

We havent received an invite on the last two cruises on the Royal, however, either by invitation or phone call. It is my understanding that one simply needs to show up with card or Medallion and they will be admitted. 

• Like 1

On the Island Princess this summer, it was listed in the Patter. It was $9.50 for those who are not Elite. And on my cruises to Alaska, there were very few Elites. I went on the northbound cruise but skipped it on the southbound one because it overlapped with the Voice of the Ocean finals. We enjoyed when they used to get the shot glasses to keep.

1 hour ago, 4cats4me said:

We havent received an invite on the last two cruises on the Royal, however, either by invitation or phone call. It is my understanding that one simply needs to show up with card or Medallion and they will be admitted. 

Our most recent experience  has been as 4cats4me mentions. We were on the Star a couple weeks ago and the Captains Circle Host said they are doing away with the invitations to the wine tasting and instead just noting in the Patter that it is free to Elites.  

Edited by Shelly97060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is an Elite "perk" for whatever it is worth.  I attend simply because I enjoy the company of others who have been seated with me.  Some folks are knowledgeable about wines.  Some are not.  The Head Waiters who lead the Wine Tasting vary in quality (and in the amount of time they take in speaking about their red or white wine that they are discussing), but almost always I enjoy their efforts.  

I consider this activity as just another "cruise activity" that Princess offers.  And, a very early start to Happy Hour.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Carla3 said:

Princess Website.

just a sales pitch in the dining room

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

Our most recent experience  has been as 4cats4me mentions. We were on the Star a couple weeks ago and the Captains Circle Host said they are doing away with the invitations to the wine tasting and instead just noting in the Patter that it is free to Elites.  

This. We were on the Crown in August. No call, no invitation, no promotion in the dining room. I saw it in the Patter and we showed up with our medallions. There were six wines and two cheese/fruit skewers. Fun, wouldn't miss it. A quick presentation of each wine and met some nice people. 

6 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

It's not a very effective sales pitch. Often it is held fairly late in the cruise - too late for you to purchase bottles of the selected wines to eat with dinner on the cruise.

they figure if not this cruise next....lol