Is the Star buffet that bad

bostonfred

We are veteran cruisers with multiple lines. We have heard consistent complaints in the past about buffet quality and selection before many sailings. With the exception of our one MSC cruise..it was terrible!!...most buffets are decent. Our previous two Princess sailings were acceptable. TheRuby was one of the better ones and Caribbean Princess middle of road. In recent years I think all lines are cutting costs in many ways to remain competitive in pricing. Sometimes we see it in the buffet. We enjoy the buffet to grab healthy lunch options and to keep a flexible schedule. How have recent cruisers found the buffet? Are there decent veggie, salad and fruit options ate lunch? Any salmon and almond milk at breakfast. Can we get fresh cooked eggs and omelets?..thanks😉😉 looking forward to our October sailing😎😎

22 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

We are veteran cruisers with multiple lines. We have heard consistent complaints in the past about buffet quality and selection before many sailings. With the exception of our one MSC cruise..it was terrible!!...most buffets are decent. Our previous two Princess sailings were acceptable. TheRuby was one of the better ones and Caribbean Princess middle of road. In recent years I think all lines are cutting costs in many ways to remain competitive in pricing. Sometimes we see it in the buffet. We enjoy the buffet to grab healthy lunch options and to keep a flexible schedule. How have recent cruisers found the buffet? Are there decent veggie, salad and fruit options ate lunch? Any salmon and almond milk at breakfast. Can we get fresh cooked eggs and omelets?..thanks😉😉 looking forward to our October sailing😎😎

Complaints are common regarding buffets. You should find the Star's buffet very similar to the Ruby and Caribbean.

There is always a salad bar where you can prepare your own salads, plus a selection of fruits.

There are prepared hot veggie dishes, quality unknown, but probably standard buffet quality.

There is Almond milk. If you don't see it just ask.

The coffee is the kind prepared from a liquid concentrate. For a caffeine fix it works. For taste not the greatest. The teas are Twinnings and some other selections.

In the morning there is an omelet station where you can order fresh cooked omelets and eggs. I enjoy the omelets. If you don't see it ask for English Bacon. I like it better than the traditional bacon.

I have seen salmon, but don't know the quality or if it is always available. You may find salmon in the DR for breakfast.

We sailed on the Star's 28-day Hawaii and South Pacific itinerary in April of this year and found no issues with the buffet.  As long as you're not expecting a buffet or the order of a Royal Class ship, you'll be just fine with its variety and quality.

The Star was the first Princess ship we sailed on back in 2006 and hadn't hailed on her since.  We were pleasantly surprised by the excellent condition of the ship.

2 hours ago, Husky61 said:

I don't eat at the buffet on any ship, just don't care for them.

So where are you having lunch when the ship is in port if you are not getting off the ship ? The only other options are ordering to your stateroom or  pool side fast food  .Imo the buffet's are generally decent food choices  & large variety  including soups ,salads & fresh fruit 

• Like 2

This is not directly relevant but we did a cruise this summer to AK on the Golden Princess.  We have done a number of Princess cruises and the buffet on this ship and this on cruise was the worse ever.  It made a meal at Denny's seem like gourmet dining.  I do have to admit that the evening meals at the MDR were taste and the dining experience there was good.

DON

I often wonder where Princess gets their Buffet "Hot Dish" recipes. I have never had anything good enough to want more of (or look forward to again), from the ships buffet. Yet everything I cook from any silly recipe off the internet usually tastes good  enough to make again. Wake up Princess!

But stand by, folks will come out of the woodwork to defend the mediocre Princess (grand class) buffet. I promise!

Edited by MTJSR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is all about expectations.  Some are not realistic.  Any buffet, any where, is not going to be fine dining.  Why do some expect this on a ship?  It is what it is.  

To the OP''s question, we sailed on Star to Alaska in 2016.  My wife and I thought the food was fine in the buffet as well as the MDR.  We were disappointed in the Crown Grill.  Food was OK, service was subpar.

10 hours ago, bostonfred said:

salmon was always available, i made myself croissant with cream cheese and lox every day.  depending on which part of the line you are in, you might have to ask for it, the line at the aft, they had the salmon back behind with the omelette guys.

yes i know tradition is bagel, but i'm not a breakfast in the morning person and going to Hawaii, mornings were earlier and earlier, my stomach couldn't handle the weight of the bagel, but i do highly recommend their croissants as a substitute.

in fact, my mouth is watering just thinking of this option on my upcoming cruise 🙂

2 hours ago, MTJSR said:

I often wonder where Princess gets their Buffet "Hot Dish" recipes. I have never had anything good enough to want more of (or look forward to again), from the ships buffet. Yet everything I cook from any silly recipe off the internet usually tastes good  enough to make again. Wake up Princess!

But stand by, folks will come out of the woodwork to defend the mediocre Princess (grand class) buffet. I promise!

The buffets on Grand class ships (as well as Coral/Island) have really fallen behind the main stream competitors since the bean counters at Princess HQ have cut the food budget many years ago. It's a big reason why I don't sail on as many Princess cruises as in the past. I've complained about the food on the surveys and we know how that goes. Vote with your wallet and keep complaining to Princess. Maybe in 5 years they may get the message but I doubt it as long as the cost cutting mentality continues.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, -Lew- said:

We sailed on the Star's 28-day Hawaii and South Pacific itinerary in April of this year and found no issues with the buffet.  As long as you're not expecting a buffet or the order of a Royal Class ship, you'll be just fine with its variety and quality.

Hi Lew,

I totally agree with you. When I was on the Royal Princess it was much better. ( More Selections ) But there was nothing wrong with the Star’s buffet.

Your Friend,

A1A5A845-1313-48A4-9E0B-D6E06F29A61A.jpeg

I was on the Star Feb 2019, and found plenty of fresh veggies, salad, fruit and healthy options in the buffet. Omelets can be ordered up and they will bring it to your table. They also had hard boiled eggs, scrambled. If you want toast, pancakes go to the MDR. Princess has made cuts, mostly notice at dinner in the MDR, but there is plenty of good, healthy, fresh food.

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I have a question re your response.  If you have no information on the question that the OP posted, why did you respond.

DON

I apologize to you for commenting. Next time I will check with you first.:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

So where are you having lunch when the ship is in port if you are not getting off the ship ? The only other options are ordering to your stateroom or  pool side fast food  .Imo the buffet's are generally decent food choices  & large variety  including soups ,salads & fresh fruit 

We have lunch in Luminae on Celebrity equinox.  We rarely cruise Princess anymore. If we are on princess, we will eat off of the ship before we would eat in the buffets.  You may find the buffets generally decent, but we don't. Personal choice.😃

• Haha 1

We did a ten day cruise to Mexico on The Star about a year and a half ago and, yes, the buffet really is that bad. Near the end of the cruise I actually got sick off a piece of bad fish I ate there. But even without that negative experience, the buffet was awful. Holland America’s is better. So is Celebrity’s.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oak City Man said:

It is all about expectations.  Some are not realistic.  Any buffet, any where, is not going to be fine dining.  

No-one said fine dining that I read, how about just "fine tasting". Rather than odd, overcooked, flavorless, unusual, un-chewable. And why do people have to lower their expectations just because it's a buffet on a 5,000.00 cruise?

Edited by MTJSR
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

We have lunch in Luminae on Celebrity equinox.  We rarely cruise Princess anymore. If we are on princess, we will eat off of the ship before we would eat in the buffets.  You may find the buffets generally decent, but we don't. Personal choice.😃

Sorry but you are in a suite & dining in a suite reserved restaurant  .Thus ,we feel your comparison to be unfair . 

• Like 2