Is the Star buffet that bad

bostonfred

This is the bottom line ,all food quality ,presentation & service are  very important to any person  cruising . Thus ,if the food was so terrible the cruise line  would sail with many empty cabins & eventually  go out of business . 

Food is very subjective  & varies all over the place ;but ,we can hardly believe that any cruise line of worth would  tarnish  their future by serving sub stand food quality & presentation

Imo there is just too many people complaining to be valid 

• Like 1

I was on the Star for a 3 day coastal in May. We always found plenty to eat when we went to the buffet, but I am not super picky. The cut fruit is very repetitive (cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple, honeydew) but there was always a variety of whole fruits too. 

i've enjoyed food on every one of my cruises. i will say i sent more things back on some recent cruises, but i do think that is because i'm getting more adventurous and trying things i wouldn't try at home, and not all are winners.  yes some things were duds, but that's because i just didn't like the flavor profile rather than the food being prepared poorly. 

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:20 AM, bostonfred said:

We are veteran cruisers with multiple lines. We have heard consistent complaints in the past about buffet quality and selection before many sailings. With the exception of our one MSC cruise..it was terrible!!...most buffets are decent. Our previous two Princess sailings were acceptable. TheRuby was one of the better ones and Caribbean Princess middle of road. In recent years I think all lines are cutting costs in many ways to remain competitive in pricing. Sometimes we see it in the buffet. We enjoy the buffet to grab healthy lunch options and to keep a flexible schedule. How have recent cruisers found the buffet? Are there decent veggie, salad and fruit options ate lunch? Any salmon and almond milk at breakfast. Can we get fresh cooked eggs and omelets?..thanks😉😉 looking forward to our October sailing😎😎

DW & I never eat in the MDR.  Too stuffy for us with a number of pretentious fellow diners and I don't care to wait 30 to 45 minutes to be seated.  I like to see more comments that folks won't go to the buffet.  It makes for fewer people in line ahead of me.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

DW & I never eat in the MDR.  Too stuffy for us with a number of pretentious fellow diners and I don't care to wait 30 to 45 minutes to be seated.  I like to see more comments that folks won't go to the buffet.  It makes for fewer people in line ahead of me.:classic_biggrin:

Pretentious diners ? I read of one lady, after hearing all the big shot claims, calmly replied she was in oil.  Never asked anymore - she owned a fish and chips shop in London!

I tell people I am retired from one of those 3 letter agencies and I cannot reveal which one!

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, MixerDave said:

Pretentious diners ? I read of one lady, after hearing all the big shot claims, calmly replied she was in oil.  Never asked anymore - she owned a fish and chips shop in London!

I tell people I am retired from one of those 3 letter agencies and I cannot reveal which one!

My parents were in iron & steel - mother ironed while father stole...:classic_blink:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

My parents were in iron & steel - mother ironed while father stole...:classic_blink:

I could if I wanted to tell people that I work in sewage or if I wanted to be more gross, I work with sh**.  I managed a lab in a waste water treatment plant.

DON

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Lew,

I totally agree with you. When I was on the Royal Princess it was much better. ( More Selections ) But there was nothing wrong with the Star’s buffet.

Your Friend,

Hey Tony...

Ready for another great NFL season?  Me too...

1575060936_PatsLogo.png.b5a3a9e76412bc1d9849906999829e51.png

On 9/2/2019 at 7:19 AM, Husky61 said:

I don't eat at the buffet on any ship, just don't care for them.

Uh....  then what do you have to offer the conversation?

The buffet is fine. Salmon (lox) is normally not on the buffet in the morning, but you can request it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Uh....  then what do you have to offer the conversation?

The buffet is fine. Salmon (lox) is normally not on the buffet in the morning, but you can request it.

You of course are entitled to think that the buffet is fine, others obviously like myself don't think so.  My comment about not eating in the buffet was to suggest that I don't eat in them anymore because I don't think the food is very good.😃

18 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

You of course are entitled to think that the buffet is fine, others obviously like myself don't think so.  My comment about not eating in the buffet was to suggest that I don't eat in them anymore because I don't think the food is very good.😃

And you are entitled to think all buffets are bad.

But that isn't what the OP asked or wanted to know.

They obviously are okay with buffets and had specific questions about the Star buffet vs other PCL buffets. They didn't ask, should we eat in buffets.

8 hours ago, MixerDave said:

That is quite amusing. Thank you for sharing. I wonder if it is palm oil or peanut oil she uses to fry her fish and chips?  😀

The MDR can be quite amusing. Anytime dining means you can hear new tales at every MDR meal.

Edited by brisalta

My nickname for the Star Princess is the "sausage ship."  We took a 15-day cruise on her to Hawaii a few years back and I'm not exaggerating, 85% of the dishes on the buffet line were sausage....sausage....sausage, every single day.  One day in particular I was surprised to see a meatloaf with a hot dog down the middle of it.  I've never seen that before.  The next day it was on the salad bar served cold.  WTH!  Well, we're on the Star to Hawaii in November, I'll pack some protein bars and call it good.

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

And you are entitled to think all buffets are bad.

But that isn't what the OP asked or wanted to know.

They obviously are okay with buffets and had specific questions about the Star buffet vs other PCL buffets. They didn't ask, should we eat in buffets.

Okay, anything else you want to attack me about? I think that I am entitled to post what I feel is relevant without your approval. Just as you are entitled to attack me.

2 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

Okay, anything else you want to attack me about? I think that I am entitled to post what I feel is relevant without your approval. Just as you are entitled to attack me.

Stop attacking me. I can post what I want. I think you are trying to bully and intimidate me.

On 9/2/2019 at 7:56 AM, skynight said:

I have seen salmon, but don't know the quality or if it is always available. You may find salmon in the DR for breakfast.

I always get some salmon at breakfast (in the Buffet). If I have an omelet, I generally ask for salmon in that. I don't do both on the same day.

8 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I find the salmon on the buffet every day. I think it's by the bagels. You can also request it as an ingredient in your omelet.

We eat mostly at the Buffet. Occasionally we have a Room Service breakfast. One day a week we may have an MDR breakfast.

Edited by HappyCruiserettu
To add clarification

5 hours ago, elliair said:

My nickname for the Star Princess is the "sausage ship."  We took a 15-day cruise on her to Hawaii a few years back and I'm not exaggerating, 85% of the dishes on the buffet line were sausage....sausage....sausage, every single day.  One day in particular I was surprised to see a meatloaf with a hot dog down the middle of it.  I've never seen that before.  The next day it was on the salad bar served cold.  WTH!  Well, we're on the Star to Hawaii in November, I'll pack some protein bars and call it good.

We took the Star Hawaii trip last year. I didn't notice all the sausage. I do often  take a couple links with my breakfast, if I'm not in the mood for bacon. (A rare happening.) LOL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:
7 hours ago, elliair said:

We took the Star Hawaii trip last year. I didn't notice all the sausage. I do often  take a couple links with my breakfast, if I'm not in the mood for bacon. (A rare happening.) LOL.

Your experience is a growing trend with the food cutbacks on Princess. They have a not too subtle practice now (use to hide it better) of using a greater proportion of certain ingredients that they got on bulk sale. A few times my traveling group use to joke with the chefs/ managers and they were surprised that we picked up on which items were cheap that week (one executive chef was embarrassed enough that we noticed and we didn't see those ingredients on the buffet as often for the rest of the week after our observations...LOL). It's comical and sad how bad the food cutbacks have gotten on the non-Royal class Princess ships.

Edited by cheezenip

21 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I'm not to sure about the Star buffet but the Crown had a decent buffet last Feb/Mar.

See you there I'm sure as we also dislike having to spend 1 1/2 hours to eat a meal.