Cruise Critic Community
toad455

Alternative port?

if Grand Bahama Island is severely damaged due to hurricane Dorian, where else can their ships go? Does BPCL have an alternative port? Freeport is reporting severe damage due to flooding & high wings, I can't imagine they'll be able to go there anytime soon.

I'm not sure, but I think they have used Bimini in the past, again not sure.

On edit I found this thread:

i'm going next week wednesday. i hope it's not cancelled, and we go to bimini. never been there.

According to there website.

Please be advised that the Port of Palm Beach and Freeport remain closed at this time and as a result, our 9/3/19 and 9/5/19 sailings have been canceled. The safety of our guests and crew is of utmost importance and decisions on future sailings will be made factoring in guidance from both port authorities, as well as the U.S. Coast Guard.

To reschedule your canceled cruise, please call us on 1800 374 4363.

I remember what happened during hurricane Michael. However, Michael seems like a walk in the park compared to Dorian. I would like to see BPCL change their itinerary but not for this devastating reason. They have two ships and could change their port occasionally. But right now I would like BPCL, if they are able to, go to Freeport and help them recover. I shudder to think what horror the poor Bahamian people are experiencing as we speak. I have a true kinship to the Bahamian people because I live in West Palm Beach. It’s horrible just sitting here now going on two days and feeling helpless for those poor people. We are fine here in Florida so far. Please pray for them. 

Oh, I forgot to add one more thing.  At this point, BPCL will have no choice but to change ports. Grand Bahama Island will not be a tourist attraction for a long time to come.  Not even sure if Bimini is viable at this point. Nassau looks like it came out ok.

12 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

I remember what happened during hurricane Michael. However, Michael seems like a walk in the park compared to Dorian. I would like to see BPCL change their itinerary but not for this devastating reason. They have two ships and could change their port occasionally. But right now I would like BPCL, if they are able to, go to Freeport and help them recover. I shudder to think what horror the poor Bahamian people are experiencing as we speak. I have a true kinship to the Bahamian people because I live in West Palm Beach. It’s horrible just sitting here now going on two days and feeling helpless for those poor people. We are fine here in Florida so far. Please pray for them. 

I love the idea of them going back to try and help out.  The nice people of the Bahamas are really paid by tourism and need the money.  Hopefully the repair of basic facilities (beach bars etc.) can be quick.    On the other hand a new (Bahamas) port for a while might be interesting.  The key is to get the ports open again.  

5 hours ago, ew101 said:

I love the idea of them going back to try and help out.  The nice people of the Bahamas are really paid by tourism and need the money.  Hopefully the repair of basic facilities (beach bars etc.) can be quick.    On the other hand a new (Bahamas) port for a while might be interesting.  The key is to get the ports open again.  

Freeport docks where the ship docks should be fine. Most all of those buildings now are new and I would think hurricane ready. Some of the older ones may not be. Port Lucaya might be devastated. ZNS BAHAMAS TV 13 is the Bahamas TV station. It can be viewed live.

Certainly a very small potatoes concern, but I wonder how the Grand Bahama Shipyard fared?  Several drydockings are scheduled for this Fall and I wonder how Dorian will affect them.

The news today that the port of Nassau's Prince George Wharf is going to be re-vitalized, improved, and, in my opinion, made to be more visitor friendly is good news for the Bahamas in the midst of this disaster of Dorian.

I am not a fan of Nassau.  Been there, done that.  And, have some negative mental baggage about the port as well.  But, these folks in the Bahamas are going to need tourist dollars and support to recover from what Dorian has done to them.  If BPCL would choose to change their destination port to Nassau from Freeport, that would encourage me to make a booking this Winter.

We are booked on a charter cruise in Oct to Nassau (Celebration).  So they can get in that port though that's the one many larger cruise companies use.  I guess it's a matter of timing.  Then again, I assume all cruise lines are going to have to adjust some schedules.  

24 minutes ago, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

We are booked on a charter cruise in Oct to Nassau (Celebration).  So they can get in that port though that's the one many larger cruise companies use.  I guess it's a matter of timing.  Then again, I assume all cruise lines are going to have to adjust some schedules.  

Who is the company that is hiring the Grand Celebration to Nassau. BPCL might have to use Nassau as Port for many months to come. Even if the docks at Freeport are viable there is nothing on that island for tourists for at least a year. 

2 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

Who is the company that is hiring the Grand Celebration to Nassau. BPCL might have to use Nassau as Port for many months to come. Even if the docks at Freeport are viable there is nothing on that island for tourists for at least a year. 

No company hired the ship. The cruise line is donating the ship, it is costing them about 50 thousand a day just to stay there. Not including the fuel to go back and forth. As for what will they do in the future. All is on the table and nothing has been approved. Waiting to see what is workable.

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

No company hired the ship. The cruise line is donating the ship, it is costing them about 50 thousand a day just to stay there. Not including the fuel to go back and forth. As for what will they do in the future. All is on the table and nothing has been approved. Waiting to see what is workable.

Please read the previous post from Runbike cruiseDc. He states that he is going on a charter cruise on the Celebration to Nassau. That has nothing to do with their relief services to grand Bahama island. 

1 hour ago, pinkie60 said:

Please read the previous post from Runbike cruiseDc. He states that he is going on a charter cruise on the Celebration to Nassau. That has nothing to do with their relief services to grand Bahama island. 

Sorry. I misread.

On 9/7/2019 at 10:06 AM, pinkie60 said:

Not a company - a non profit running group chartered it. Oct 13-17.

They have the Grand Celebration scheduled for its first post-Dorian cruise on Saturday. It's advertised as going to Freeport, so we shall see if this stays true.

Freeport where the ships dock (Container port) is in excellent shape. As for the hotels, beaches or Port Lucia I have no idea. Current any ship that docks at Freeport is bring supplies. The Bahamas are begging for the ships to bring tourists.

Just checked. Booking starting the 27th. on the Grand Celebration and continuing to book after that.

3 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

That was December 1st 2017

It is a three year contract.