Alaska cruise with family of 5

surgie

We are doing very early planning for a multi-generational cruise (or cruise tour) to Alaska in 2022. We haven't 100% decided on Princess - considering RCL as well. 

We will need 3 cabins.

Cabin 1: 2 adults

Cabin 2: 2 adults + 2 kids ages 8 and 9

Cabin 3: 2 adults + 3 kids ages 3,5 and 9

As I look at deck plans for the Princess Royal, the mini-suite says maximum is 4 guests. Is it possible to put the third child in cabin 3 on the reservation for cabin 1? But then move that child to the cabins with their parents (if we bring a toddler air mattress). We'd rather not do this. Are there any cabins at all that sleep 5? DCL has cabins that sleep 5 but their cruises are RT and we prefer one-way. 

I would never put 5 in a cabin. 4 is pushing it IMO. I would only do 4 in a mini suite and that is still pushing it.

I also would not book kids that age on a cruise tour. Maybe a DIY tour but not a structured cruise tour.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, surgie said:

We are doing very early planning for a multi-generational cruise (or cruise tour) to Alaska in 2022. We haven't 100% decided on Princess - considering RCL as well. 

We will need 3 cabins.

Cabin 1: 2 adults

Cabin 2: 2 adults + 2 kids ages 8 and 9

Cabin 3: 2 adults + 3 kids ages 3,5 and 9

As I look at deck plans for the Princess Royal, the mini-suite says maximum is 4 guests. Is it possible to put the third child in cabin 3 on the reservation for cabin 1? But then move that child to the cabins with their parents (if we bring a toddler air mattress). We'd rather not do this. Are there any cabins at all that sleep 5? DCL has cabins that sleep 5 but their cruises are RT and we prefer one-way. 

You have a total of 11? You will have to book one of the youth in cabin 1, just as you thought.  Princess will not allow you to book 5 in a cabin unless it is a family suite. I don't believe the Royal has family suites, but Grand Class ships do have a couple of them.

Once on board you could move one of the youth into the mini suite, but there would only be an maximum of 4 beds, a queen (or separated into 2 twins) plus a sofa bed (single) with an overhead bunk.

Ok thanks for info. I was doing a present booking for 2020 since that's the furthest out the calendar goes. I did not see an option for a family suite. In fact, on the initial page when I enter the number of people going, the website doesn't allow for more than 2 adults and two children, unless I missed something. Would I have to call to book for 5? 

I know it's way early but with the cost of the cruise and excursions I want to be prepared for how much to budget and also be familiar with ship layout so I can get the cabins we want. Assume booking opens about 18 months in advance? Is it posted on this forum?

4 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Usually you would need to call to book a cabin for 5. They intentionally keep them out of inventory so people that don't need them don't book them.

While I could be wrong - I don't think there are Family Suites on the Royal Princess. It is more of a Grand class ship feature. And I don't think it was that successful that they carried it to the Royal Princess. 

40 minutes ago, surgie said:

Ok thanks for info. I was doing a present booking for 2020 since that's the furthest out the calendar goes. I did not see an option for a family suite. In fact, on the initial page when I enter the number of people going, the website doesn't allow for more than 2 adults and two children, unless I missed something. Would I have to call to book for 5? 

I know it's way early but with the cost of the cruise and excursions I want to be prepared for how much to budget and also be familiar with ship layout so I can get the cabins we want. Assume booking opens about 18 months in advance? Is it posted on this forum?

I would do as Skynight suggested.  I am sure the little ones could share a bed in cabin #3.  They would just need to be booked creatively.  Princess should have no problem with it ... but the gratuities will be added to the account of cabin #1 (if a  3 year old even pays gratuities?).  Since it is family, and willing to travel together, I'm sure you could work that out amongst yourselves.  

Anyway, the family suite is very pricey and even though you will get full suite benefits, the others in your party won't.   The ones on the Grand class are way up in the very front of the ship and are rather oddly designed (IMO).  

One other way to do this, depending on your budget, it may be cheaper to get 4 cabins and one adult and 2 children in one and one adult and 1 child in the other.  It may actually save money if they 2 get inside cabins vs a minisuite or balcony cabin.  You may be able to find cabins right across the hall from one another so they would still have access to a balcony every so often if that fits into your plan.  

I know Disney has cabins for five but then again ... the costs are a lot higher than on Princess.  

1 hour ago, surgie said:

The Family Suite is only on the Grand Class type ships and there are only 2 on each ship.

Grand

Star

Golden

Caribbean Princess

Crown

Emerald

Ruby

You have to call Princess to book them. They sleep 8.

• Like 1

I have stayed in family suite on my Alaskan Cruise.  They are on the Grand Class Ships; and there are only two per ship. We stayed on Deck 9 Dolphin Deck.  Like someone mentioned above; they are all the way forward; one on left and one on the right.  We had four in our family.  Basically you are staying in a mini-suite; combined with an inside cabin.  You have two bathrooms, two bedrooms,a living room with a sleeper sofa, and the balcony. 

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 1