Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 36

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, September 2 and Sunday, September 8.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Low tide down at the wetlands this afternoon. A few birds around, but stumbled across a bunch of these tiny creatures. Just sat on the rock with the camera up, and they starting re-emerging from the sand. Only about 2 inches across, perhaps less.

213244754_MrCrab.thumb.jpg.15481ed6619a48980305298d1c5d6e9e.jpg

• Like 3

My first experiment with a wide angle (compared to my 2000mm telescope) shot.  Only two of the stars are easily visible from where I took the shot due to light pollution.  The star top center is Deneb.  Traces of the North American nebula are just barely visible, will need to try a longer exposure.Sky.thumb.png.f171c7039598d6755eab5bc78101ddb2.png

• Like 1

While scrubbing engine parts, a static spark ignited a small fire in my Brother-in-Law's parts washer. Attempts to smother it failed, so he ran to the truck to grab the fire extinguisher. Even though properly applied, the pressurized jet of retardant from the extinguisher displaced the vapor building up in the washer tub and drove the flame up the wall of the shop, igniting the insulation on the roof. One flaming thing led to another and within 15 minutes, his work truck, tools, boat & trailer, golf cart and the entire contents of his 40’ x 50’ shop were reduced to ashes and melted metal. The new shop will have a parts washing station well separated from the main structure.

Lessons Learned

p3593472001-6.jpg

Dave

Spotted a couple of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos on my daily walk that were very happily munching on some red berries, quite oblivious to humans walking past. I observed one snipping off a branch, the holding it in its claw while stripping off the berries with its beak.

RX016199.thumb.JPG.906c73e747f3c433fba1f6eec1bb599c.JPG

RX016232.thumb.JPG.6b9185139e716ebc044ae707feb612c3.JPG

RX016236.thumb.JPG.665a09a7edcb3453c7555816457d970d.JPG

RX016240.thumb.JPG.e2d3886dbd0994375b5448826b24e713.JPG

• Like 1

Back from a 5 day trip to Disney World, and was a little late getting around to posting shots from the week before to the weekly photo thread.  Still working on the Disney pics, so for now, here are some shots from out in the wetlands from the weekend before the Disney trip:

An ibis reflecting:

original.jpg

A yellow-throated warbler up in the shady pine trees - one of the early migrators returning for winter:

original.jpg

A grey-headed swamphen with her chick:

original.jpg

The tiny, wee little white peacock butterfly:

original.jpg

Big alligator sitting up on the levee in the shade - he was actually fairly difficult to see in the shadows - watch where you walk out in the wetlands!  I was cranked up to ISO 6,400 in order to expose him more visibly:

original.jpg

A tricolor heron hunting in the still shallow waters:

original.jpg

A lovely backlit anhinga glowing in the sun:

original.jpg

• Like 3