Making chocolates in Tallinn, Estonia

trosebery

Continuing along the theme of slightly-different activities we did in the ports we visited, in Tallinn I organized a chocolate-making workshop at the Kalev shop (in the Rotermann district) for our Roll Call. We were just coming off a busy 2 days in St. Petersburg, and I figured that people would be finished their walking tours ready to quit the Old Town around noon (and indeed, it was really crowded by midday!), so I organized a workshop for the afternoon. I took down names and email addresses of people who were interested and Kalev forwarded everyone invoices. (We could pay in advance or on the day.)

This is what the website advertised:

"Kalev chocolate shop offers a wide variety of special sweets hand-crafted by the chocolate truffle master. Surprise your friends or loved one with something special – come and learn to make your own chocolate confectionery and sweets. You too can become a real master!

At this workshop, you will learn about the principles, raw materials and techniques of making sweets. All participants will make up to eight chocolate sweets and can choose to either eat them there and then or take them away in a nice gift box. Once the sweets are ready, you can further sweeten up your life by dipping fruits into chocolate fondue.

Prices:
Group of 4–10 people: 35 euros / participant
Group of 11–24 people: 27 euros / participant

The price (VAT included) covers an introduction to chocolate and sweet making, instructing, chocolate and fruit fondue, tools, eight truffles and a gift box, recipes for the truffles made, a cup of coffee/tea and drinking water."

We also got a 10% off coupon for the store downstairs, in which we shopped while our chocolates were cooling.

(They also offer marzipan painting workshops, but I like chocolate truffles better!)

The Rotermann district is a short walk from the Old Town (less than 15 minutes from the central Town Hall) and from the cruise port. (It took us about 20 minutes to walk back.) It was lots of fun to hang out with people from our Roll Call while making (and eating!) chocolate, and I do recommend it as an activity. (Here's a photo of my daughter, my son, and I.)

Inline image

Incidentally, in the morning, we did a walking + bike tour with Traveller Tours, and I would recommend them too! I really enjoyed getting out of the tourist area and seeing some of modern Tallinn.