Is pacific dawn really that bad????

portcbob

Hi guys.

We have the opportunity to cruise on the pacific dawn next january, 7 nighter to the barrier reef. 

After reading reviews of this ship we are really concerned about going.

What are your recent experiences 

kind regards Bob.

We cruised on the Pacific Dawn in April 2018, to the South Pacific and we had a good time 😎 (apart from someone jumped overboard! 😥), the ship was good, the food was not bad 🙂 .

I always take reviews with a pinch of salt!

Pacific Dawn has also just been to dry dock.

Go with a open mind and have a great time!

• 2 months later...

Seems that P&O Australia doesn't have a huge following here on CC. I have made up a roll call for an easy 4 day trip in Feb 2020 and looks like I might have the ship to myself! Woohoo!

This will be our first cruise on anything other than Royal Caribbean and also our first in Australia. We won't be expecting too much, its just a quick break for my wife's birthday actually.

Good luck on you Jan cruise. I hope you can let us know how you go!

Cheers

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Went onboard Dawn more than two years ago as a 4-night Airlie trip on a last-min deal. It easily beats the Carnival Legend that we went on late last year. Granted ship looks a bit tired in some parts, but you can't avoid that when you're on a 30-year-old lady!

I personally cruised three times, one each on PCL/CCL/POAU, and found the Dawn's offering acceptable (again compared with Legend). It's not the "oh wow" feeling like Princess has but miles ahead than Carnival which offers quite a bit of cr@p on mine.

They also offer some nice drink package which I took up last time I cruised with them - and yes I had endless cups of great coffee and tea. And mind you all my experiences were from before the ship went to dry dock in August this year.

Enjoy your cruise!

Michael

On 9/3/2019 at 5:57 PM, portcbob said:

Hi guys.

We have the opportunity to cruise on the pacific dawn next january, 7 nighter to the barrier reef. 

After reading reviews of this ship we are really concerned about going.

What are your recent experiences 

kind regards Bob.

If you look on p and o on Facebook you will get a lot of positive comments and the odd bad one ,we usually use princess but are trying Dawn in August next year

Cheers Carole

• 2 months later...

We have cruised on 

P&O Dawn

P&O Jewel

P&O Eden

Carnival Spirit

Carnival Legend

RC Voyager of the Seas

and some of these ships multiple times.

Dawn is not a new ship in any way, but the bones of the ship and public spaces have always been one of our favourites. It is a ship that just seems to bring people together to relax and have fun and like Carnival Spirit, it seems to have a culture all of its own. Old ships have old ship problems and if you can handle that in return for being on a ship you really enjoy to places you love then that is the ship for you.  We have been on newly 'dry docked' ships (read Legend) where we wondered where the money was spent and the staff culture was unfriendly to the point of being hostile at times (refusing to serve a single glass of champagne unless you bought the whole bottle) and we have been on cheaper cruises (read Voyager) where the staff were run ragged and the 'upselling' was aggressive to say the least. Cruising is such a subjective activity and way to recreate, and despite what people may think in light of current events, we would cruise again tomorrow in a heart beat - might have to give Princess a try :)