Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ilikeanswers

If flight times could be halved would that change where you cruise?

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Warm Breezes said:

If price wasn't an issue then yes.  Then we might talk about flying to Europe or Australia or Hawaii.  My DH is 6'5 and DS 6'8-flying for more than a few hours is not usually an enjoyable experience for them and I'd rather not pay the cost for First Class tickets.

 

You would be absolutely miserable in a Concorde seat. They were narrow and the legroom was about what you'd get in domestic economy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 8:04 AM, ilikeanswers said:

Would you change your regular cruising route if you could have shorter flights?

 

Your question presupposes a "regular cruising route".  What about those who choose to take cruises outside any habitual pattern?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

 

I like that too!

 

I still think that it's nice to sit in the same seat a long time and watch some movies and drink Champagne! 

 

Not for me! Just as if hitting my head repeatedly with a hammer, sipping Champagne won't make it pleasant - even if watching a movie. 

 

Also, the only place you will be sipping Champagne is in first class. Most of us find the price of first class international tickets to be much too expensive.

Edited by PTMary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the flights were much shorter AND we could fly nonstop to/from our home airport, then we would absolutely return to cruising far from home.  No interest in Carib, have done CNE and Bermuda many times, but resigned to those now entirely due to the aggravation of long flights and layovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PTMary said:

 

Not for me! Just as if hitting my head repeatedly with a hammer, sipping Champagne won't make it pleasant - even if watching a movie. 

 

Also, the only place you will be sipping Champagne is in first class. Most of us find the price of first class international tickets to be much too expensive.

 

The Champagne is better in first class but the Champagne in business class is normally ok too.

 

I like the combination of Champagne, movies, the sound of the engines and the movement (but preferely without too much turbulence!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, PTMary said:

 

Not for me! Just as if hitting my head repeatedly with a hammer, sipping Champagne won't make it pleasant - even if watching a movie. 

 

Also, the only place you will be sipping Champagne is in first class. Most of us find the price of first class international tickets to be much too expensive.

 

I certainly consume (sometimes excessive) amounts of tasty business class champagne on my work trips. Nothing better after a hard week of work than to plop down in my seat, shut the laptop, start a movie, and enjoy some champagne on a 10-15 hour flight home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

champagne

I laugh at those articles about jet lag re don't drink alcohol.  What else are you going to do??? 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure the hypothetical will become a reality, but yes I would absolutely consider travel or travel/cruise destinations that are farther away. As mentioned upthread, for those of us still working, taking a long flight to a destination presupposes that you have time to make it worthwhile, to get over the jet lag, etc. 

 

I will fly to Europe for a week (from the east coast US) but wouldn't consider doing that for Australia or China. However, if flights were half as long....

 

As it is, Australia and NZ are (and will likely remain) on my post-retirement bucket list.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silly topic — with all the movement to reduce carbon footprint, the only speed increase we are likely to see in travel will be high speed trains designed to replace, as much as possible, shorter flights.

 

The absurd inefficiency of supersonic passenger flight makes it a non-starter in this period of awareness about global warming.  Certainly the overwhelming number of bargain-seeking mass market cruise passengers would be strongly disinclined to pay the hugely inflated prices .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Silly topic — with all the movement to reduce carbon footprint, the only speed increase we are likely to see in travel will be high speed trains designed to replace, as much as possible, shorter flights.

 

The absurd inefficiency of supersonic passenger flight makes it a non-starter in this period of awareness about global warming.  Certainly the overwhelming number of bargain-seeking mass market cruise passengers would be strongly disinclined to pay the hugely inflated prices .

 

Supersonic flights can only operate long haul over oceans because of the noise.  Until we can figure out a way to change physics, that's not going to change.  To the same point, high speed trains can't levitate, and they aren't going to build a tunnel under the Atlantic or Pacific.

 

Anyone who can't tolerate a flight from the west coast to the east coast is probably better off just staying home or traveling to places where they can drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ducklite said:

 

Supersonic flights can only operate long haul over oceans because of the noise.  Until we can figure out a way to change physics, that's not going to change.  To the same point, high speed trains can't levitate, and they aren't going to build a tunnel under the Atlantic or Pacific.

 

Anyone who can't tolerate a flight from the west coast to the east coast is probably better off just staying home or traveling to places where they can drive.

All true - but immaterial.  

1) Since we are now in a “reduce carbon footprint” mode, switching to much higher fuel-burning aircraft is now on a burner very far back.

2) Since an increasing percentage of cruisers are economy-minded, switching to much more expensive modes of getting to ports is highly unlikely.

3) The noise is the least significant - sure, it is unpleasant, but the opposition to steam locomotives in the early 19th Century, and to gasoline  powered cars in the late 19th Century on the basis of the “unacceptable” noise they produced was quickly overcome in the name of progress.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old SST planes may evolve into jet rocket planes if Musk & Bezos are successful.  NY to Sydney in less than an hour?  Put me in coach, LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not sure the hypothetical will become a reality, but yes I would absolutely consider travel or travel/cruise destinations that are farther away. As mentioned upthread, for those of us still working, taking a long flight to a destination presupposes that you have time to make it worthwhile, to get over the jet lag, etc. 

 

I will fly to Europe for a week (from the east coast US) but wouldn't consider doing that for Australia or China. However, if flights were half as long....

 

As it is, Australia and NZ are (and will likely remain) on my post-retirement bucket list.

 

 

We made a 7 week land journey in eastern Australia, NZ and the Cook Islands from NY and had just a brief exposure to these cultures.  Can't imagine going there for just a week from mainland USA.  That would be like an Aussie coming to see America in a week:  a few days in NYC, then a day in Washington DC, followed by 2 days in Miami before heading home.  Can't see much in that short of a time.

 

Even when we went to Tahiti, we stayed first 10 days, then 2 weeks the 2nd time, otherwise it would have been a rushed jet lagged trip. 

 

And if you go by cruiseship, you will see even less than you would if you were on a land based vacation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ducklite said:

Anyone who can't tolerate a flight from the west coast to the east coast is probably better off just staying home or traveling to places where they can drive.

 

I think that the OP thought about much longer flights than the rather short west coast to east coast flights.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thirty-plus years ago I had to fly commercial from Narita to San Francisco on orders, in uniform, with a lap child, who then peed through her diaper onto my working whites. It was an 11 hour flight from hell and has ruined me for long-distance flying for good.

 

When teleporting becomes reality I'll pop over to any port in the world. Until then, I'm staying home.

 

OK, not really, but you know what I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go to Australia and New Zealand. I'm booked for our third European cruise after one last year and one the year before. I might go two times a year if the flight times were better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most likely not. We will still cruise where we want to. In business or first class I usually just sleep a lot of the time away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 2:11 PM, JennyB1977 said:

@ilikeanswers I believe you're talking about the news regarding the AS2. That is a business jet (biz jet). It is being planned for London to New York, Dubai or Beijing. The Boeing plan is to run completely on biofuels. The capacity currently is 12 passengers.

That would cost a pretty penny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, probably not but for my husband absolutely.  Flying is boring.  There is nothing to do and no where to go.  If I could get there in 6 hours or less I would travel a lot more.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

For me, probably not but for my husband absolutely.  Flying is boring.  There is nothing to do and no where to go.  If I could get there in 6 hours or less I would travel a lot more.   

 

And add to that the hassle of the security check and the requirement that you be there 2 hours early for domestic flights and 3 hours early for foreign flights. Even if the flights were quicker, the whole flying experience would still be a huge  unpleasant hassle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 10:11 PM, ontheweb said:

And add to that the hassle of the security check and the requirement that you be there 2 hours early for domestic flights and 3 hours early for foreign flights. Even if the flights were quicker, the whole flying experience would still be a huge  unpleasant hassle.

 

That is a good point, there is no cutting the time you have to spend at an airport😩.

 

Thanks  to everyone for your posts. It was really interesting and very informative👍.

Edited by ilikeanswers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's because I was taken on long driving trips as a child -- my parents thought nothing of a 9-10 hour drive to Florida from our home, with limited stops -- but I don't see flying as terrible. It's really difficult to understand people who say they won't travel anywhere that requires a flight just because of the "hassle".  OMG, imagine what people used to go through before modern times to get from one place to another....!  Read (or reread) Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad for a humorous but all too accurate look at travel 100 years ago.

 

There's nothing to do on the plane?  Are you telling me that at home people don't spend hours on the computer or in front of the TV binge-watching shows or using social media?  Or sleeping?  What did you do on all those long car trips of the past? They can't have had so much more to offer in terms of entertainment than flying...

 

So you have to get to the airport early -- walk around (good way to get in some exercise before sitting on a long flight) and people watch or shop, or eat a meal.  Many airports now have restaurants that are far better than any food you'll get on the plane if headed overseas -- and if not headed overseas, you'll get nothing unless you're in the front section....) Or use that time to call friends/relatives and chat. 

 

There are also ways to circumvent the security hassle. Get TSA (at a minimum; Global Entry if you fly overseas often) and you won't have to undress or take out electronics and your 3-1-1 bag.  And if you're over a certain age, you already get to keep on your shoes and jackets.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2019 at 10:57 AM, FlyerTalker said:

 

Your question presupposes a "regular cruising route".  What about those who choose to take cruises outside any habitual pattern?

I hadn't thought of that.  We have no desire to have a "regular cruising route."  We want all different destinations/ports.  Now, I wouldn't mind beginning or ending in Barcelona 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 4:21 AM, Mary229 said:

There is nothing to do

Huh?  Read books/magazines/newspapers, watch movies, play games, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

So you have to get to the airport early

More for connecting flights which can be super long - we had seven hours in Gatwick last fall - you can usually buy a day pass for an airline's lounge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...