If flight times could be halved would that change where you cruise?

ilikeanswers

13 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

That is a good point, there is no cutting the time you have to spend at an airport😩.

Thanks  to everyone for your posts. It was really interesting and very informative👍.

If they could half the flight time they could probably also half the time needed at the airport!

Edited by sverigecruiser

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Maybe it's because I was taken on long driving trips as a child -- my parents thought nothing of a 9-10 hour drive to Florida from our home, with limited stops -- but I don't see flying as terrible. It's really difficult to understand people who say they won't travel anywhere that requires a flight just because of the "hassle".  OMG, imagine what people used to go through before modern times to get from one place to another....!  Read (or reread) Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad for a humorous but all too accurate look at travel 100 years ago.

There's nothing to do on the plane?  Are you telling me that at home people don't spend hours on the computer or in front of the TV binge-watching shows or using social media?  Or sleeping?  What did you do on all those long car trips of the past? They can't have had so much more to offer in terms of entertainment than flying...

So you have to get to the airport early -- walk around (good way to get in some exercise before sitting on a long flight) and people watch or shop, or eat a meal.  Many airports now have restaurants that are far better than any food you'll get on the plane if headed overseas -- and if not headed overseas, you'll get nothing unless you're in the front section....) Or use that time to call friends/relatives and chat. 

There are also ways to circumvent the security hassle. Get TSA (at a minimum; Global Entry if you fly overseas often) and you won't have to undress or take out electronics and your 3-1-1 bag.  And if you're over a certain age, you already get to keep on your shoes and jackets.

Having done about 300 segments and more than three quarter of a million miles, almost 90% in economy over the last 2 1/2 years, let me tell you 12-14 hours in a dark economy with some overflowing neighbor is very different than a car, even with all the available wifi entertainment.      Factor in wait times at airport, even in lounges with all you can eat and drink, no question reduced actual fly time is desired.  My son flies business, lucky deep pocket, employer on the same route I did, even he will attest in business and lie down and all the comforts a 3-5K ticket gets you it ain't like being locked in your car or desk at work.   I have every convenience ( APAC, Global Entry, lounge access, 5 star hotel, and driver waiting as I exit customs ) 14 hours in a dark narrow can at 35000 feet is what it is, now to do it for vacation, of course worth it.      Would I pay extra like 3x for vacation, NEVER

Edited by chipmaster

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

For 13 hours?   Not my cup of tea.  I need to move during a 13 hour span 

Well, I certainly move.  It's highly recommended that you get up and move around the cabin.  IIRC the longest flight I was on was about 14 hours nonstop but that was also overnight so I slept as well as having two meals.  For a trip in December we'll fly one hour, then a couple of hours layover, then about four hours IIRC, with another layover and then ten hours to Brazil.  And there will be a six hour time difference.  Totally worth it...for us.

20 hours ago, Mary229 said:

For 13 hours?   Not my cup of tea.  I need to move during a 13 hour span 

I fly 10-17 hour flights 2-4x monthly (and shorter flights in between, 4-9 hours). I, too, can't stand sitting still for too long, but it's pretty easy to get up and move around. Bigger aircraft, naturally, provide more room to walk around in. You'll catch me doing a few laps of the aircraft every 60-90 minutes unless I am sleeping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

I think more non stop flights might help us but distance, no, that wouldn't change much. We're heading to Australia for the 3rd time in three years in November. Once you've done it once, it's not as bad.

This^.

I just know that I'm going to feel poopy for a couple of days.  I know one isn't supposed to but for flights over 9/10 hours I take an Ambien with some wine.  No lectures please - I'm a big girl 🙂 

We've done the flight to Australia/New Zealand 3 times and been to Europe for cruises, but it has gotten much more difficult.  For us the problem with long flights isn't "nothing to do"....we can easily entertain ourselves when necessary.    The problem is discomfort - our aging backs, necks, shoulders just can't handle uncomfortable airline seats and sitting for long periods of time.   First/Business class seats, plus our own lumbar and neck pillows, walking around, and doing isometric exercises help, but we're still in pain after multiple hours.   So, yes we would now travel to more places if the flight times were significantly reduced.

For Clo, I agree - we take at least half an Ambien for long flights, though not usually with alcohol; it works for us, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who hasn't used it before and knowing exactly how it affects you.   

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

For Clo, I agree - we take at least half an Ambien for long flights, though not usually with alcohol; it works for us, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who hasn't used it before and knowing exactly how it affects you.   

Nor would I.  And I would never take it if I were traveling alone.  I do have a little amnesia.  But Bob doesn't take it and takes care of me 🙂