Meals (esp. breakfast) on Port of Call days

RayC862

54 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not every response has to be directed to the initial post. If you have a conversation with a group of people it is very likely that you will discuss other things.I was responding to you .I initially responded to the OP.

A. No one else was having a conversation with you. Everyone else was addressing the OPs concerns.

B. Your initial post was nonresponsive to the OPs questions.

1 minute ago, mom says said:

A. No one else was having a conversation with you. Everyone else was addressing the OPs concerns.

B. Your initial post was nonresponsive to the OPs questions.

The OP asked what people eat for breakfast on a cruise.I responded.

Are you a CC police person or do you just like to pick on old sick people ?

9 hours ago, RayC862 said:

Hi,

Going on my very first cruise, and have been learning a lot from this site and message board - although with all of the information it can take some time to find what you're looking for. 😉

So my question is: what do folks do for breakfast on days when stopping in a port

I am not blind ,the OP asked what people do for breakfast.

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Are you a CC police person or do you just like to pick on old sick people ?

That your standard fall back? Guess what: you aren't the only disabled person on this forum. But you seem to like playing that card whenever someone criticizes you. 

Yes, the OP asked what people did for breakfast. Not what they ate. As in Dining room, buffet, or room service. So where do you have your hot water and gruel in the mornings on port days? 

16 minutes ago, mom says said:

That your standard fall back? Guess what: you aren't the only disabled person on this forum. But you seem to like playing that card whenever someone criticizes you. 

Yes, the OP asked what people did for breakfast. Not what they ate. As in Dining room, buffet, or room service. So where do you have your hot water and gruel in the mornings on port days? 

The OP asked what people do for meals.I posted that. I eat in the MD R and have no idea what gruel is.

Edited by lenquixote66

2 hours ago, mom says said:

What does any of that have to do with the OPs concerns? He asked what to do about breakfast before an early excursion. Not what to eat. 😒

This thread is entitled “Meals (esp. breakfast) on Port of Call Days”.

OP’s title did not exclude choice of food.

p.s.  Don’t sweat the small stuff.

Hi OP

Most cruise lines have a choice of breakfast options.  Room service,  main buffet, MDR  and some have a  "grab & go" or a limited selection in a small cafe in the atrium (typically).

I dont know which cruise ship you are on so cant give any specifics.

Room service is obviously convenient but in our experience it sometimes arrives later than booked.

Main buffet can be the easiest option, lots of choice and it can be quick as most items are already prepared.

MDR  can be the most relaxed but can often take longer as you order and have waiter service (we only do MDR breakfast when we have nothing planned to do early in the morning).

The  "grab & go" or small cafe option is very quick, but limited choice, typically wraps, filled croissants and muffins (but some have granola, fruit etc).

I'm sure you wont have any problem choosing somewhere for breakfast no matter which cruise line.

23 hours ago, RayC862 said:

Tour is through SPB and goes from Warnemunde port in Germany to Berlin. 3 hrs each way on the Autobahn, so 6 hours consumed in travelling to & fro. There is a lunch stop, although just checking now, the cost is not included. So many details.

A similar tour that I took was from Rostok (very close to your port) to Berlin.  3 hours by rail both ways (which, as I rail fan, I enjoyed because rail travel accommodations in Europe can be different than in North America) and a tour of Berlin.  My tour included a nice lunch.  I'd suggest you inquire as to whether the lunch stop is solely "on your own" or will you be taken to a cafe/restaurant that is expecting you.  Knowing such, save you some time as to "OK, what/where do we go now?" when the lunch stop is made.

It's a long day; whets one's whistle as to what there is to see in Berlin, but, it's a good tour.

23 hours ago, RayC862 said:

Tour is through SPB and goes from Warnemunde port in Germany to Berlin. 3 hrs each way on the Autobahn, so 6 hours consumed in travelling to & fro. There is a lunch stop, although just checking now, the cost is not included. So many details.

A similar tour that I took was from Rostok (very close to your port) to Berlin.  3 hours by rail both ways (which, as I rail fan, I enjoyed because rail travel accommodations in Europe can be different than in North America) and a tour of Berlin.  My tour included a nice lunch.  I'd suggest you inquire as to whether the lunch stop is solely "on your own" or will you be taken to a cafe/restaurant that is expecting you.  Knowing such, save you some time as to "OK, what/where do we go now?" when the lunch stop is made.

It's a long day; whets one's whistle as to what there is to see in Berlin, but, it's a good tour.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:40 PM, RayC862 said:

Hi,

When we did a Berlin trip from Warnemunde (also through SPB) it was indeed 3 hours each way. They make a 20 minute or so stop midway, for restroom visits, and there will be a self service cafe there too.

As for lunch, we were taken to a big modern shopping mall ( 200 yards from where Hitler's bunker once was) and directed to the upper floor food court, with multiple food outlets. No direction to any particular one (so no kickback to the tour guide). It was suggested that we try the Berliner currywurst, which we did, and very tasty it was too.

Edited by Sancho_proudfoot

19 hours ago, cabin4three said:

Room service is obviously convenient but in our experience it sometimes arrives later than booked.

We’ve found that to be the case too,   So, we order room service because we prefer a more relaxed morning than the buffet offers, but if it arrives too late we go eat the buffet.   Wasted food, but at least it doesn’t happen very often. 

We usually pick the food delivery time that coincides with the time we plan to get up.   That way they have more time to deliver the food. 

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Cruising since 1973 and never once ordered room service.

Wow!  So you’ve never been sick or too tired to go out?  We wouldn’t order room service unless sick on a short cruise, but anything over a month and we just need a night in every so often.....just like at home.

47 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Cruising since 1973 and never once ordered room service.

Having a leisurely breakfast on an aft balcony on a sea day is one of the great pleasures of cruising.

Then again, I spend sea days napping and lazing around because my port days are so full. 

25 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

Having a leisurely breakfast on an aft balcony on a sea day is one of the great pleasures of cruising.

Then again, I spend sea days napping and lazing around because my port days are so full. 

We very rarely book a balcony. I can see eating breakfast outside. However,Inhave always been leery of eating in a cabin and the possibility of dropping tiny bits of food on the floor attracting bugs.

Due to disabilities my port days have not been full for several years.However,I endeavor to do as much as possible on the ship but almost never nap.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Never sick once on a cruise .We get up at 6 AM ,go to the gym for an hour,have breakfast in the MDR approximately 8AM and then attempt to do as much as possible during the course of the day.

I’m impressed.  We use the gym and wash our hands before eating and use hand sanitizer and still manage to get sick most cruises......one time got sick twice. 

32 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

I’m impressed.  We use the gym and wash our hands before eating and use hand sanitizer and still manage to get sick most cruises......one time got sick twice. 

My feeling is that you should do the same thing on a ship that you would do at home and not dwell on the possibility of getting sick on a cruise.

9 6 19 

Suggestion, just in case you're out all day, and you might not want to spend money on snacks, OR, you don't like the food, BRING snacks.

It has been suggested you are not allowed to bring food off the ship.   I have.  I'm diabetic, but I don't want to drag tons of snack food in my luggage.  (we'll be en route to PR for almost 18 hrs, then another 7 hrs before we leave port.

So, I usually will grab an apple, orange, crackers are usually in pkgs on board.  Sometimes, pastries as well.   This time prob a sandwich, just in case.  I bring a LOT of ziptop bags for all reasons, but this mostly.

I am using empty Pringles cans to fill w/snacks for spouse, son and myself.  Also, bringing gal zip top bags in case they don't like the cans.. CYA

18 minutes ago, amberngriff said:

9 6 19 

Suggestion, just in case you're out all day, and you might not want to spend money on snacks, OR, you don't like the food, BRING snacks.

It has been suggested you are not allowed to bring food off the ship.   I have.  I'm diabetic, but I don't want to drag tons of snack food in my luggage.  (we'll be en route to PR for almost 18 hrs, then another 7 hrs before we leave port.

So, I usually will grab an apple, orange, crackers are usually in pkgs on board.  Sometimes, pastries as well.   This time prob a sandwich, just in case.  I bring a LOT of ziptop bags for all reasons, but this mostly.

I am using empty Pringles cans to fill w/snacks for spouse, son and myself.  Also, bringing gal zip top bags in case they don't like the cans.. CYA

Fine for you,but I do not snack.I endeavor to eat as healthy as possible.I was very fat at one point in my life and have no desire to be back to that weight.I was 239 and currently 185.

Room service can add up quickly!            I do suggest you grab a few things before any establishment closes, ie:  after dinner.