Meals (esp. breakfast) on Port of Call days

RayC862

On 9/3/2019 at 9:34 AM, mom says said:

First of all, just because a ship is due to arrive at a given time doesn't mean it will be available for disembarking. You may have a wait. The ship will have the buffet open early enough for you to have breakfast. Or you could order room service. Depending on the line you cruise, the MDR  may or may not be open. I personally wouldn't try stashing food away from the night before, unless it was just a few pieces of fruit. The cabin fridges are really just coolers - not cold enough to hold food safely. 

cool enough to keep my insulin cold, bottles of water, juice and milk.

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My feeling is that you should do the same thing on a ship that you would do at home and not dwell on the possibility of getting sick on a cruise.

I’m in full agreement....we travel 4-6 months of the year and we live on the road, ship, wherever we are like we do at home.  Same diet, same exercise, same or similar activities, same sleep schedule.    If I misled you into thinking that we worry about getting sick, sorry.....we are aware of it just like at home but certainly never dwell on it. 

On 9/3/2019 at 8:41 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Not every response has to be directed to the initial post. If you have a conversation with a group of people it is very likely that you will discuss other things.I was responding to you .I initially responded to the OP.

Some of us don’t understand why anyone would care what you always have for breakfast either on a cruise or at home. Aside from the fact that it is totally irrelevant to the initial post. 

21 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

Having a leisurely breakfast on an aft balcony on a sea day is one of the great pleasures of cruising.

Then again, I spend sea days napping and lazing around because my port days are so full. 

9 7 19

Thank you!  We have a cabin w/a balcony, and I wondered was it large enough for that!!!

On 9/3/2019 at 9:34 AM, mom says said:

First of all, just because a ship is due to arrive at a given time doesn't mean it will be available for disembarking. You may have a wait. The ship will have the buffet open early enough for you to have breakfast. Or you could order room service. Depending on the line you cruise, the MDR  may or may not be open. I personally wouldn't try stashing food away from the night before, unless it was just a few pieces of fruit. The cabin fridges are really just coolers - not cold enough to hold food safely. 

On 9/5/2019 at 7:42 AM, Bizmark'sMom said:

On early port mornings I use the buffet. It's fast and easy, and it will be open early to allow plenty of time to eat.  On long tours, there are almost always stops along the way where you can buy food if you're hungry. 

9 7 19

We're on the Freedom of the Seas.

Are any restaurants open 24/7?

Since it is now 2019, I would like to know how much soda is in the machines?

The beverage pkg is outrageously expensive,  like  $700/pp.   I don't drink soda, nor juices, and not much liquor, so, for the family, wondered about the machines? Do they use cash or again, on your cabin card?

THX

1 hour ago, amberngriff said:

9 7 19

We're on the Freedom of the Seas.

Are any restaurants open 24/7?

Since it is now 2019, I would like to know how much soda is in the machines?

The beverage pkg is outrageously expensive,  like  $700/pp.   I don't drink soda, nor juices, and not much liquor, so, for the family, wondered about the machines? Do they use cash or again, on your cabin card?

THX

The Promanade Cafe (not really a restaurant but has small sandwiches and pastries) is open almost 24 hours - they close briefly for cleaning at some point during the night. You do not need to get a package. Just pay as you go. To use the freestyle machines, however, you will need a soda package which is much cheaper than $700. 

On 9/7/2019 at 10:34 AM, gerif said:

Some of us don’t understand why anyone would care what you always have for breakfast either on a cruise or at home. Aside from the fact that it is totally irrelevant to the initial post. 

Not everyone thinks alike.If they did they would be robotic.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:22 AM, RayC862 said:

Hi,

Going on my very first cruise, and have been learning a lot from this site and message board - although with all of the information it can take some time to find what you're looking for. 😉

So my question is: what do folks do for breakfast on days when stopping in a port? We've booked a few shore excursions, and our ship arrives at 7 am at most ports. Obviously time is of the essence when trying to disembark and connect with your tour. So how do you manage breakfast when you'd like to disembark asap at 7 am? Just get up super early for breakfast? Stash away something from dinner the night before? Do 4,000 people all order room service?

Thanks for any tips or shared experiences.

-Ray

Room service is not always offered on debarkation day.