Text msg & calls while on a cruise (for Canadians)

A few questions for fellow Canadians:

Our cell phone plan only includes free calls and text messages to the US from Canada, and not vice versa. 

We may need to text/call for shuttle/taxi or hotel confirmations, etc. while in Orlando, and communicate with our tour operator while in the Caribbean.

1/ We plan to turn off our cellular data and use free WiFi to retrieve emails, but for text messaging and calls, wondering what fellow Canadians are using?

2/  Does anyone know if the WhatsApp works for the Caribbean?

Note:  We could also use iMessage for texting, but that only works if the receiver has an iPhone.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

Thanks @LHT28

I tried it to text a tour operator in St. Martin (from my home), and it worked.  The thing is, I don't know if there is free WiFi in the Caribbean ports?

Usually you can  find free Wifi or in some places just buy a coffee/drink & you get the wifi code

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Usually you can  find free Wifi or in some places just buy a coffee/drink & you get the wifi code

Thanks again!  We may need to touch base or confirm with tour operators once off the ship.

I see your in Canada too 😁  Do you have a US or International data/roaming plan for when you need to make calls?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 3:32 PM, red-dragon said:

Thanks again!  We may need to touch base or confirm with tour operators once off the ship.

I see your in Canada too 😁  Do you have a US or International data/roaming plan for when you need to make calls?

Sorry I missed your question but no

we have  pay as you go & only works in Canada

I did buy a global sim card   from  https://www.worldtravelsim.com/proddetail.asp?prod=World.Travel.SIM

Which should work  in the Islands

DH tried to call home for St Maartan  but he gets frustrated with cell phones 

though he did manage to leave a message on our answering machine  while he was telling me it did not work  LOL