Royal Caribbean is committing $1 million to Dorian disaster relief

Tony O

30 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Royal is matching donations made through PADF - use the link to ensure that the donation goes to the RCI Bahamas campaign.

I don't know much about PADF  (they aren't rated in charity navigator)but the matching makes it worth using the link

A-

2 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

I don't know much about PADF  (they aren't rated in charity navigator)but the matching makes it worth using the link

A-

As with most charitable organizations, it can be difficult to independently determine their effectiveness in achieving the stated goals. PADF claims to measure the impact and effectiveness of their programs rather than simply throwing good money after bad. In Haiti, unfortunately a lot of money was spent on rebuilding homes after the earthquakes only to have the locals tear the new structures down to re-purpose the materials (I don't remember off-hand which organizations were involved in those projects). So I think there will always be some degree of misuse. However, I presume RCI has vetted PADF to avoid being associated with a questionable or controversial organization. Agreed that the matching helps increase the donors' impact.

I'm seeing images on TV of shipping containers in Abaco piled a significant distance away from the port. As with most natural disasters of this scale, the recovery process will take a very long time.

52 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Royal is matching donations made through PADF - use the link to ensure that the donation goes to the RCI Bahamas campaign.

Yes, thank you for mentioning this.  So happy Royal is matching donations through PADF. 

18 minutes ago, Pratique said:

As with most charitable organizations, it can be difficult to independently determine their effectiveness in achieving the stated goals. PADF claims to measure the impact and effectiveness of their programs rather than simply throwing good money after bad. In Haiti, unfortunately a lot of money was spent on rebuilding homes after the earthquakes only to have the locals tear the new structures down to re-purpose the materials (I don't remember off-hand which organizations were involved in those projects). So I think there will always be some degree of misuse. However, I presume RCI has vetted PADF to avoid being associated with a questionable or controversial organization. Agreed that the matching helps increase the donors' impact.

I'm seeing images on TV of shipping containers in Abaco piled a significant distance away from the port. As with most natural disasters of this scale, the recovery process will take a very long time.

My primary concern with charities is the percentage that goes to those in need. Some charities have too much overhead to deliver a dollar so I try and focus on charities the get more dollars to those in need.

I typically research on charity navigator and charity watch looking for charities that meet a need with low overhead costs.

I don't think a charity can keep the gift from being repurposed as noted above, although if it was constant for a different type of charity then it would point to internal controls.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fletch1027 said:

Again, I don't want to go back and forth about this because my original comment was a joke based on how much more expensive things have gotten lately, so this will be my last comment about it. Apologies if what I said offended anyone - it was meant as a joke...

I don't think I mentioned another source of revenue - what I said was that there is a difference between using existing profits to donate as opposed to raising prices even more to cover a donation.

I'm not accusing them of doing that - but when I see things like cabanas go from $499 to $1,299 it does open RCI up to jokes about sticking it to the customers... 

Not cool man. In any shape or fashion. Trying to make a 'funny' about the tragedy that was thrust upon the people affected by this hurricane is inexcusable. 

• Thanks 1

In Haiti after the eathquakes, most trees were stripped off the mountains and hillsides for firewood. Probably happened to some of the lumber. The denuding of the slopes caused more disasters in the form of landslides when hurricanes came through. The country has never recovered. I hope the Bahamas has time to rebuild.

• Like 1

1M is a drop in the bucket but a good start.  Would like to see at least 10X that.    I've already donated and bringing supplies over to a staging area today where they are gathering to take small boats over as soon as practical. 

• Like 2

Sometimes, when a situation is so overwhelming - as is this one, I can't think of not making  a donation because it will be just a drop in a bucket.  I have to think that my insignificant amount (as compared to a vast overall need) as making a difference to one person.  If enough of us do that, we fill fill that bucket 

• Like 5

On the Pinnacle Thread on another social media site, someone posted that each Pinnacle contribute a $1 for each cruise that they have taken.  Many will donate much more because of their love for the people of the islands that has developed from numerous visits.  ...a good beginning... it takes a lot of drops to eventually fill a bucket, but it can be filled.

Edited by beachnative
  • Like 4

My reaction was that $1M is a little low, considering RCI is a multi-billion dollar company.  How many ships call in the Bahamas? That nation does a fair bit for their business, so I was a little disappointed that it's so low.  Then again, I'd also like to know what the damages are for Coco Cay, and who's footing that bill.

16 hours ago, Pratique said:

All the while getting a larger tax break off of us for "their" donations.

16 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Class act Royal Caribbean! That's way I stay "Loyal Royal."

They aren't the only ones donating large amounts.

15 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

My primary concern with charities is the percentage that goes to those in need. Some charities have too much overhead to deliver a dollar so I try and focus on charities the get more dollars to those in need.

I typically research on charity navigator and charity watch looking for charities that meet a need with low overhead costs.

I don't think a charity can keep the gift from being repurposed as noted above, although if it was constant for a different type of charity then it would point to internal controls.

This. A lot of people donate to charities and don't bother to look at the percentages that go to the actual cause. 

Also, would it kill RC to lose a little bit of profit for the sake of the Bahamians?

Edited by ReneeFLL

4 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

This. A lot of people donate to charities and don't bother to look at the percentages that go to the actual cause. 

That's a personal decision. For me, it's not determinative. I look at what the charitable purpose is and who is serving it. For example, a small local group serving a local need (especially in an emergency) may have higher overhead than a larger organization, but it allows me to target my money toward a specific use. There's no specific cutoff for the percentage that goes to the actual cause, although if it's very low then I might question it. Instead I look at the results to decide whether it is worthwhile to me.

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

That's a personal decision. For me, it's not determinative. I look at what the charitable purpose is and who is serving it. For example, a small local group serving a local need (especially in an emergency) may have higher overhead than a larger organization, but it allows me to target my money toward a specific use. There's no specific cutoff for the percentage that goes to the actual cause, although if it's very low then I might question it. Instead I look at the results to decide whether it is worthwhile to me.

If charity "A" and charity "B" are both on the same disaster or trying to serve the same local need then its worth looking at, I would give to a local charity that was meeting the need but if the local was using 38% and another 10%  then I would pick the 10%. Its a starting point for an informed decision.

• Like 1

Cannot we just be very happy the cruise lines are there to help????????  This is not about bashing which cruise line does what.  This is about being happy the cruise lines are helping - period.  I applaud all of them for doing what they are doing - just like they did for PR, STT, and SMX.  I think it is fantastic that they do what they can do to help when other venues cannot due to the inability to get into the ports, etc.  

So let's just keep praying for the people of the Bahamas and thank God than Royal and the other cruise lines are stepping up to help out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

If charity "A" and charity "B" are both on the same disaster or trying to serve the same local need then its worth looking at, I would give to a local charity that was meeting the need but if the local was using 38% and another 10%  then I would pick the 10%. Its a starting point for an informed decision.

That makes sense. In this case the Royal Caribbean match seems to make this one a no-brainer since the match likely covers the overhead.

21 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

And why shouldn’t it?  Where do you want the money to come from?

Where do I want the money to come from?  RCI shareholders, not fare paying passengers or tax payers.  However, I suspect RCI's accountants have managed to make this a tax deductible contribution.

• Like 1