Royal Caribbean is committing $1 million to Dorian disaster relief

Tony O

The U.S. tax code is set by Congress. Write your congressman with your recommendations, perhaps? The charitable deduction has been around for over 100 years, but there's always room for improvement. Somehow, though, I don't think asking the IRS to start taxing voluntary disaster relief contributions will gain much traction, but one never knows when a better idea will come along.

If you do not want to donate to PADF through RCI, there are many other choices  - start here:

Global Giving has established the Hurricane Dorian Relief Fund to provide emergency supplies and long-term assistance to help in rebuilding.

World Central Kitchen, set up by the chef José Andrés, provides food to people after natural disasters. Mr. Andrés and a relief team have arrived in Nassau, the capital, and have begun to identify places where they can set up kitchens on the affected islands.

HeadKnowles is a Bahamian organization that organized relief operations during Hurricane Matthew in 2016 and Hurricane Joaquin in 2015. They have set up a site through Go Fund Me.

Yacht Aid Global has set up “Operation Topaz” to bring emergency supplies like food, tarps, hygiene kits and medicine to Grand Bahama and the Abaco Islands. The organization works with yachts in the region to coordinate support.

Team Rubicon, an organization of military veterans that provides disaster relief, is in the Bahamas.    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/03/reader-center/hurricane-dorian-how-to-help.html

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

This. A lot of people donate to charities and don't bother to look at the percentages that go to the actual cause. 

Also, would it kill RC to lose a little bit of profit for the sake of the Bahamians?

They always donate to Hurricanes, Earthquakes and more. Been doing it for 30yrs and dozens times that I remember. Initial amount will increase as Islands need are made apparent. Starting tomorrow they are also donating 10000 meals a day and by Friday 20000 a day to Grand Bahama. Give then a break, just happened yesterday...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

So... I will assume that since it is a donation, they can write it off on their taxes?

Yes. With them matching what is donated by the individuals I'm guessing it will look like RC is the one donating the entire amount. In turn they will be getting a tax break off of our donations.

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

They always donate to Hurricanes, Earthquakes and more. Been doing it for 30yrs and dozens times that I remember. Initial amount will increase as Islands need are made apparent. Starting tomorrow they are also donating 10000 meals a day and by Friday 20000 a day to Grand Bahama. Give then a break, just happened yesterday...

What are you talking about? I never said they weren't donating fast enough. I was saying people should consider who (what organization) they donate to. Some of them have a much higher overhead (high salaries among other things) and very little of every dollar donated actually goes to the people.

Here is some info on how to check out charity ratings. This is for big ones. The small groups that quickly get together due to a current disaster won't be on here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/nancyanderson/2017/12/17/3-websites-to-check-to-be-informed-before-giving-to-charity/amp/

https://www.charitywatch.org/charitywatch-hot-topic/hurricane-dorian-relief/115

10 hours ago, DfDinLA said:

Where do I want the money to come from?  RCI shareholders, not fare paying passengers or tax payers.  However, I suspect RCI's accountants have managed to make this a tax deductible contribution.

10 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

And just where does that come from?

People, really?

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree, unbelievable...

Would it really kill RC to actually DONATE  and take a loss for it? When we donate it's a loss for us. No way for us to pass on that loss to someone else so why does RC have to pass it on to us? I don't really see it as a donation when they are getting it back from the customers.

Don't bother telling me they're in the business of making money, yada, yada, yada.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 7:55 PM, Tagsalong said:

???? Where is this from???

While Carnival Corporation and Carnival Cruise Line have not announced a dollar amount on what they will be donating, the company has pledged to work with the Bahamian government as they determine the highest priorities for both the short term and long term.

The Walt Disney Company, led by Disney Cruise Line, has committed more than $1 million in cash and in-kind support to help relief and recovery efforts for those in The Bahamas affected by Hurricane Dorian.

And there is no information re NCL at this time.

Please...pay NO attention to our little Matty.  He just says stuff because he can.  Sad, really.

• Like 1

I’m amazed by the number of posters who take the time to belittle RCI. 

I would expect them to find a cruise line that is charitable enough for them. 

RCI announced their aid before the tide went out. That didn’t mean they weren’t going to give further help. That dollar amount was before the damage was even assessed. 

I’m proud of the fact that they jumped right in. 

RCI has to consider shareholders when making monetary decisions. The aid given to the victims of natural disasters would rise to pretty high proportions if added up. 

Snarky remarks should be an embarrassment to those who make them. Their hostility toward RCI is really showing. 

I sure hope they are able to move on to another line. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In addition to cash, RCI is sending ships with supplies.The Celebrity Equinox is being diverted to Freeport tomorrow from its scheduled port, to deliver meals and supplies . Several other RCI ships are doing the same starting today I think. 

I think it is all good.As a passenger I  was certainly happy to hear it . We have all felt so helpless the past 2 weeks as this storm developed.

• Like 2

All this talk about it all being a tax write off seems a little unlikely.  Someone can correct me but Royal doesn’t pay Corp income tax in the US I suspect. This is why they are incorporated in Liberia and their ships are registered in the Bahamas. 

14 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

If you itemize in the US it reduces your tax burden on  1040A

image.png.867edec0f0b13c3dc07244bf17f116f3.png

I think that because the standard deduction was recently increased, more people are not able to itemize their charitable deductions than before the change in the tax code. Which means that they get the same tax break whether or not they donate to charity (up to the standard deduction).

2 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I think that because the standard deduction was recently increased, more people are not able to itemize their charitable deductions than before the change in the tax code. Which means that they get the same tax break whether or not they donate to charity (up to the standard deduction).

Didn't know that,  My accountant doesn't  use the standard deduction

25 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Didn't know that,  My accountant doesn't  use the standard deduction

Last year was the first year that I couldn't itemize, ever, because of the changes in the tax law. I suspect I wasn't alone by a long shot, but I live in an income tax-free state so your mileage may vary (if I paid state income tax then I might have been able to itemize the federal return). In any event, the effective tax rate was lowered primarily by increasing the standard deduction and reducing the tax rates so it didn't make things any worse for me in that sense.

47 minutes ago, Uniqeni said:

Any idea on when we will find out what ship or ships they will be using for their relief efforts? And kudos to all of the cruiselines for stepping up so quickly, I'm sure the 1 mil pledge is just the beginning. 

I believe that Empress has already brought food and supplies to Freeport.

53 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

88% reported took standard deduction last yr. Maybe you did too

Nope I looked my line 8  is from schedule "A" and my charitable contributions are in schedule "A". My " schedule A" is more than the standard deduction. 

I have not  cruise on RCCL in a long time.  I cruise other lines for a while.  But I like what RCCL is doing in helping in the Bahamas.  I went to RCCL web site when I heard that they were helping in the Bahamas. I read there what they are doing.  RCCL has a place where a person (if they want to) donate can.  Very easy to follow.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/hurricane-disaster-relief

I now feel that I would sail RCCL again because of what they are doing.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, later said:

RCI is also providing 20,000 meals a day along with other provisions.   

That is wonderful news to hear.  I wish I also knew of a place to donate clothing to the Bahamas.  The money and food and supplies are great.  But I would think that most of the survivors got out with only the clothing on their backs.  

Any one know about clothing donations?

19 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Yes. With them matching what is donated by the individuals I'm guessing it will look like RC is the one donating the entire amount. In turn they will be getting a tax break off of our donations.

No.  That's not how it works  and yes we do get to write it off on our taxes if we donate to charity (assuming we have enough to use schedule A).   If RCI donates a million they get  the benefit of not having to pay taxes on that amount.  The rest of it is an expense to them.  

It's incredible that a story about donating to help those in need has ended in such anger towards the company.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Any one know about clothing donations?

The PADF site linked from RC's page says they are not accepting physical donations at this time.

For people interested in donating, PADF claims 93% goes to programs, 6% to development (fundraising, I infer), and 1% to management. 

Royal Caribbean says it will match donations up to $500,000. The link on its main page takes you to the PADF page, where you can do it by credit card.