Cruise Critic Community
Carolyn Stevens

Footwear for the Antarctic

Hi there,

I've started researching clothing for the Antarctic, primarily because postage to Australia from the US or UK often takes weeks and is very expensive.

I've currently got a problem with footwear. I was going to rent the tall boots via Seabourn but the supplier said the boots aren't suitable for a person with high arches. And I have high arches.

I researched buying them, or something similar, but I can't find them in Australia. Which means I would need to:
—Pay an huge price to get them here from the US or UK, when I may never wear them again
—Carry them in my luggage from Australia to South America
—Risk having to post to-and-fro in order to find the right fit and style of boot.

Not sure what to do at this point. I'd very much appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Carolyn

This may seem a bit outside the box, but have you considered orthotics that would fit your foot and you could just put into the Seabourn boot?? I have high arches too, and have a difficult time finding comfortable shoes that I can walk in for hours. I now have a set of orthotics that I can slip into several different pair of shoes.  Made a huge difference.  And buying shoes is now much easier.  Just a thought. 

Not quite sure why you would need to buy something from the USA.

What you really want is a set of waterproof Wellington rubber boots.   Easily found at sporting goods stores, fishing stores, or even on Amazon.com.au -- you'll want the mid-thigh height and you'll be good to go.

Even a set of waterproof "rain boot" Wellies should work if they are mid-thigh.

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Not quite sure why you would need to buy something from the USA.

What you really want is a set of waterproof Wellington rubber boots.   Easily found at sporting goods stores, fishing stores, or even on Amazon.com.au -- you'll want the mid-thigh height and you'll be good to go.

Even a set of waterproof "rain boot" Wellies should work if they are mid-thigh.

Mid-thigh?  Are you sure you didn't mean "mid calf"??    Even my -40 degree Baffins (made and bought in Canada) are mid calf...  

I'd look at orthotics, too.  I put them in my Sorels - there is zero support of any kind in them.   I live in a winter resort where good working outdoor winter boots are a must.  I have probably 6 different Baffins/Sorels/Bogs and it depends on the temperature and snow for which I put on for any given day. 

I would recommend looking at the Bogs Classic boot.  I've got the women's version - I've had them since 2009 and still going strong.  On the website, they call them "farm" or "work" boots.  But, rated to -40, so plenty warm.  go to the bogsfootwear.com website.  There is a distributer email for Australia - that could help you get them fast.  That neoprene top is mighty warm and makes them easier to pack than bulkier boots.  

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Mid-thigh?  Are you sure you didn't mean "mid calf"??   

CORRECTION!!

I did mean mid-calf, but got my anatomy mixed up.  Good thing I'm not a surgeon.

And remember that the temps won't be plunging like in a blizzard - you'll likely find it between 20 and 35 Fahrenheit. 

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

CORRECTION!!

I did mean mid-calf, but got my anatomy mixed up.  Good thing I'm not a surgeon.

And remember that the temps won't be plunging like in a blizzard - you'll likely find it between 20 and 35 Fahrenheit. 

When I was working as an official for bobsled and skeleton, I was standing outside on sheets of ice for hours at a time.  The air temp could be in the 30s/40s (fahrenheit), but that ice was COLD.  I wore the Bogs and Sorels on the "warmer" days, but when I'd go to Calgary and the temps were below zero, the Baffins came out.  Same when I worked as a lift at a ski resort - standing on the snow all day long, the feet needed something warm, even when it was not so cold.  Now, I well the Bogs when I have to go out and shovel my driveway.  

I have the Arctic Muck Boots and I'm very happy with them, but if you are only going to use your boots this once it may be an unnecessary investement. Agree that Wellington boots might do the trick, but on some occasion I found mid-calf would be too short, unless you have a wide calf and the boots fit snugly against them. I would go knee-high to make sure (some landings can be really "wet").

Get the boots at least one size too big for you (maybe two) so you can wear a couple of warm socks. Since you can buy similar boots at a local store you can try them on for size and comfort. A support sole might be a good idea.

This may sound like a dumb suggestion and you may be taking a chance but Ushuaia has a lot of sporting goods stores and some of them appear to be well stocked.  You may be able to buy them there or maybe even rent them.  The problem is researching the stores before you get there.  Are you staying in a hotel on the night before your cruise departs.  Maybe the hotel could help you with your problem.

DON

On 9/3/2019 at 7:04 PM, Carolyn Stevens said:

Hi there,

I've started researching clothing for the Antarctic, primarily because postage to Australia from the US or UK often takes weeks and is very expensive.

I've currently got a problem with footwear. I was going to rent the tall boots via Seabourn but the supplier said the boots aren't suitable for a person with high arches. And I have high arches.

I researched buying them, or something similar, but I can't find them in Australia. Which means I would need to:
—Pay an huge price to get them here from the US or UK, when I may never wear them again
—Carry them in my luggage from Australia to South America
—Risk having to post to-and-fro in order to find the right fit and style of boot.

Not sure what to do at this point. I'd very much appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Carolyn

Definitely agree with the orthotics or some type of insert. And remember that you will not be wearing these boots for more than a few hours a day- maybe 2 or 3 at the most. You must take them off once you board the ship after being on land. The boots provided by the ships are wonderful- super warm and waterproof. I usually only wore one pair of wool socks and my feet never got cold. No way would spend the money to buy them or take up packing room in the suitcase. 

Carolyn,

We did their March trip last spring and loved it so much we are doing the December trip.  I too have high arches but had no problem with the boots I rented from their supplier.  If you are really concerned, just bring a pair of arch supports. 

Mary Pat

What boot brand does Seabourn use ? If it is Mucks - they have inserts that you can remove and replace with your own or go without entirely (I recollect Bogs do the same). I bought my own Arctic Sport mid calf muck boots for my trips. I have wide calfs and a high "top of foot" (I have no idea what that bit is called!) and plantar fasciitis. I found that removing the existing inserts gave me more room for the top of my feet. When I loaned my boots to someone with high arches - she removed the inserts and replaced them with her own orthotics.

Bogs are easily sourced in Aus. https://bogsfootwear.com.au/shop/style/971616-216.html This one mentions a contoured inner sole which may suit you. It doesn't mention if its also removable so its worth contacting them to ask.

We will be sailing to Antarctica on Seabourn Quest in November. In reading several trip reports from people who have been on this sailing within the last year or so, it has been reported that these Bogs boots are the boots that you get when you rent from Seabourn. And, as PerfectlyPerth mentioned, there is a removable insert in the boots. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TH2OBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because we live in a cold climate and would have a further use for them, have space/weight in our luggage, and  the purchase price for us isn’t significantly more than the cost of the rental, we decided to buy them. I also have high arches and my orthotics fit in them nicely in them, although I found I needed a size larger to do so. 

If you opt to rent them and the size you order doesn’t fit or work with your orthotic inserts, you can exchange for another size once on board. 

I hope this helps!

Tammy