Finding solo deals

nyc2pdx

As all the emails, and "deals" are pricing for double occupancy, where do you find good deals for solo cruisers?  I think I would prefer a balcony or suite, but I have the hardest time trying to find deals with the single supplement already added.  All I want is to be able to search 1 passenger, and balcony and above...and give me a list of fares!

Going on my first cruise in December booked with a TA.  

Consider the total cost when evaluating the value.  I've noted in other threads what my recent experience was -

I knew what cruise I wanted, and when discussing the trip with someone else that was going, we decided it might not cost much more for me to go  in a balcony.  Turns out we were right.  When I had a TA run the numbers, including airfare, their quoted price for a Studio with separate airfare was only $60 less than a balcony with no solo supplement and NCL-booked airfare ($200 additional from my airport) AND I get an additional free-at-sea perk (NCL, Studio gets one perk, balcony could take all 5 OR pick 2 and since I don't drink I didn't want to pay the gratuities on the drink package I wouldn't use) which actually could result in as much as $150 OBC from excursions (really a $50 per port discount on a ship-sponsored excursion).

Moral of the story - consider ALL costs.  If I was booking a sailing out of NYC (I can drive there in a couple hours) rather than LA, a Studio would be better cost-wise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

I’d get a different TA who specializes in solo travel.

This is all a first for me...and frankly, all the options made my head spin....5 different balconys with the same layout yet $1000 difference in price....and then mini suites that look just like balconies....I was confused....so I got help.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:57 PM, klmb318 said:

Cruiseplum is a great site.

Some of the fares on that site just don't add up at times, though. Solo MSC Sau Paulo to Rome inside cabin $2.233 on Cruise Plum, however when you click through to the site the inside cabin is $3.996.40

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Check out "vacations to go" and check on the little icon at the top of the list of cruises you are considering for "Single supplement". It will show you the %.  While it is usually 75-100%, sometimes you will find deals. I booked a Panama Canal trip that way on HAL and got "only" a 30% single supplement for the 15 day cruise.

Also check out river cruises. Lots of single supplement deals on Vantage, AMA, Gate1, etc. (not much on Viking).

Edited by Splinter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, sorry I am late to the Party however if you are in the UK I find the following sites are good for finding good single Cruise deals

Cruise Circle Singles Club

https://www.cruise-circle.co.uk/offers/cruise-circle-solo-traveller-section/&order_by=cruise_line_name?utm_source=CruiseCircle&utm_medium=NL&utm_campaign=POSolo08062018

Iglu Cruises allow you to search for singles cabins in their search engine

https://www.iglucruise.com

Travelzoo has a singles section that sometimes have cruises

I have also used Vacations to Go (US Site) and done a few DIY Pulmantur cruises which are a Spanish line where All Inc Drinks are included in the package for a very reasonable price.

Currently like @gerryuk I am doing a 20 night Costa Fascinosa Cruise from Savona to Santos Brazil in November 2019 for my 50th Birthday. As it was a special one I went for an outside cabin with Bridamo drinks package for £1,450 which I thought was pretty reasonable.. This was booked through the Costa UK website.. Plus flights etc.. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i find reading SOLO TRAVELER very worthwhile and informative for solo travelers.  the sight is run by janice waugh and you can contact her on the website or janice@solotravelerworld.com

every monday i receive an email from janice with lots of offers for single no supplement tours.  it's very useful information.

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread. For NCL, I just check the website periodically. Same with *****. And, by sometimes  having flexibility to travel shorter notice, I check prices closer to sailing dates for price drops as well as drops in single supplements. As long as airfare is not an issue, that's how I usually get good deals on solo cabins, other than studios because that's what I consider a good score. Hahaha. A studio is fine, but a mini suite or balcony is great to me. Just happened on my sailing in October.