Oz to NZ Fiordland National Park Scenic Cruising

Dee Dee Dina

Hi all,

We will be on the Golden Princess this November going from Melbourne to NZ. Before arriving at Dunedin there is a day of Fiordland National Park Scenic Cruising.

I'm wondering what we will see during this day of scenic cruising.  Hoping that some of you could describe the views, we'll be seeing.

Thanks,

3 hours ago, Dee Dee Dina said:

Hi all,

We will be on the Golden Princess this November going from Melbourne to NZ. Before arriving at Dunedin there is a day of Fiordland National Park Scenic Cruising.

I'm wondering what we will see during this day of scenic cruising.  Hoping that some of you could describe the views, we'll be seeing.

Thanks,

Fiordland is an area of spectacular beauty. When I was there I was "blown away" by it, particularly in Milford Sound. Here is a link to information about it from the NZ tourist board. https://www.newzealand.com/us/feature/national-parks-fiordland/

We were on the Golden to NZ last November. We sailed into Milford Sound about 6.30 -6.45 am. and sailed slowly up the sound to the end and turned around, allowing those passengers who were travelling overland to Dunedin to disembark. There will be a ranger /pilot on board who will tell you about the sounds and the wild life you may see. Hopefully there will have been good rainfall before you sail so the waterfalls are at their best. Once turning around, you will sail out of the sound and along the coast to Doubtful Sound and sail up one arm and down another back to the open sea. You are likely to sail through Dusty Sound as well and possibly though a couple of others as we did. 

Note that not all cruise ships are able to sail into the sounds due to weather and sea conditions. We were fortunate as we had calm conditions with some light showers. Hopefully you will make it in.

You are likely to need warm clothes as it is probable it will be cold, particularly early in the morning. I wore a waterproof jacket, scarf and gloves most of the way up Milford Sound but by the time we reached the head of the sound they had been removed but replaced later in the day. 

Enjoy your cruise to NZ.

Leigh

As possum said they pick up a pilot and a ranger that does a talk. I remember one was a ex dear hunter for the park. So not just a office boy.

After turning around in Milford,back out to sea and a sail through Duskie and doubtful sounds.

yes you see wild life.

Next morning they arrive in Dunedin.

YouTube it.

I'm also on the Golden November 24, 2019 & wonder which side of the ship would have a better view. I'm on the 'even' side and hope to view from the balcony

Edited by Ombud

14 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Left hand side of the ship (port) you will get a view of the coast.

Thanks. I see a glass of Oz Port and cheese plate while lounging on my balcony viewing the coast 👍

13 hours ago, Ombud said:

Thanks. I see a glass of Oz Port and cheese plate while lounging on my balcony viewing the coast 👍

Last year on Ovation we walked around the deck as the sun was coming up.

The sun was coming up over the snow capped alps (the hight of summer)as we entered Milford sound.

The ship turned around and went back out to sea ,this took about 3 hours.

we went back to bed a ordered room service and watched the coast go by.

61309176-754E-4418-833A-D6FB9F935F90.thumb.png.3e35b544d65c3c5f175e42390cda512c.png

On 9/6/2019 at 10:44 PM, Dee Dee Dina said:

Thanks! Sounds like you had optimum viewing; how wonderful!

Did you see any dolphins or penguins while sailing?

We stayed on our balcony for Milford Sound and after leaving the Sound we went upstairs and had breakfast before meeting friends for coffee and then made our way to top deck to watch going into the next sound. The only wildlife we spotted were birds and seals. 

Leigh

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

We are on Ruby Princess in early April.  I hope conditions are favorable for us!  Is April, the beginning of winter, a good time for visiting? 

That’s the end of the cruise season and it can get rough but it can get rough anytime.

The weather comes straight off the South Pole and hits the bottom of the South Island.

We were there one Christmas and the alps had a dusting of snow.

21 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

That’s the end of the cruise season and it can get rough but it can get rough anytime.

The weather comes straight off the South Pole and hits the bottom of the South Island.

We were there one Christmas and the alps had a dusting of snow.

Thank you for the reply, Chiliburn.  We can take fairly rough seas, but will be prepared with our 'seasickness kit' that goes on every cruise with us.  It seems to bring us luck and never have had to use it.  We are on the repositioning cruise, we get off in LA but Ruby goes on to Vancouver for the Alaska season.  I've already started thinking how to layer for warmth.  I'm super-excited about this once in a lifetime (for us) trip!

At the bottom - south end of NZ the weather is not predictable & you could get anything from snow to a bright warm day.

Mitre Peak  Milford Sound is only cloud free 1 day in seven.

A pilot is required for the sounds so the seas have to be low enough to allow this.

Did the 14 day NZ cruise from Sydney on Noordam.

Weather at milford was rain & strong wind but the pilot got onboard - October.

Rain in the fjord means many waterfalls - see photos.

Later in the day the weather cleared for Dusky & Doubtfull.

Milford Sound.JPG

Noordam Milford Sound.JPG

Milford Sound 2.jpg