Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tjcletzgo

What's great at the International Cafe?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, namowal said:

It's all good.  My only nitpick is that some of the baked goods (croissants, cookies) don't taste like they were cooked with much (if any) butter, but maybe it's my imagination.
If you get up at sunrise, it's a nice, quiet place to enjoy the ocean view and your coffee.  

 

Croissants are made with butter.

Are you referring to cookies or biscuits? I don't remember ever seeing cookies at the IC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a 5AM riser even on vacation so the International Cafe is my first stop. Two or 3 cups of drip coffee, a cup of fruit and an almond croissant almost every day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Peckishpixie said:

I am a 5AM riser even on vacation so the International Cafe is my first stop. Two or 3 cups of drip coffee, a cup of fruit and an almond croissant almost every day. 

 

So are you peckish all day long and graze at the different venues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, brisalta said:

 

Croissants are made with butter.

Are you referring to cookies or biscuits? I don't remember ever seeing cookies at the IC.

Croissants are supposed to be made with butter (at least to qualify as a croissant,) but I think the ones on the ship are made with shortening.  By "cookies" I meant the American/Canadian definition (the things the rest of the English speaking world call "biscuits.")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, brisalta said:

 

So are you peckish all day long and graze at the different venues?

It's right in my name!! I do tend to nibble at the other venues. I'll grab a bit of cheese, a little fruit, maybe a slice of pizza. The buffet is not for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, namowal said:

Croissants are supposed to be made with butter (at least to qualify as a croissant,) but I think the ones on the ship are made with shortening.  By "cookies" I meant the American/Canadian definition (the things the rest of the English speaking world call "biscuits.")

 

I doubt you could actually get shortening to work when making croissants. I know someone that used to be a croissant baker and the only thing they could get to work was butter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, namowal said:

 By "cookies" I meant the American/Canadian definition (the things the rest of the English speaking world call "biscuits.")

Cookies and biscuits are very different.

Cookies have a high fat content. Biscuits have a low fat content and have a real crunch to them. They are also baked differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, brisalta said:

 

Croissants are made with butter.

Are you referring to cookies or biscuits? I don't remember ever seeing cookies at the IC.

They are behind the counter.  I don’t remember ever not seeing cookies at the IC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 4:09 PM, rkacruiser said:

 

That thought crossed my mind as well.  The regular coffee was very good.  Maybe a different coffee than what is used in the Horizon Court/MDR?  I don't know.  

Yes, the Horizon is different coffee. Some kind of a syrup mixture. Found that out our last cruise. This cruise I plan to only get coffee at the IC. Some of those iced coffee drinks are also great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, CynCyn said:

They are behind the counter.  I don’t remember ever not seeing cookies at the IC.

 

Which ship's IC ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CynCyn said:

Emerald and Ruby

Never been on either of those. I assume that the offerings in the IC differ from ship to ship depending on the Executive Chef and the pastry chef on the ship.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, namowal said:

Star and Grand too.   

 

I have never seen them in the IC on the Grand. Just various cakes, puddings, pies, sandwiches, soup and salads.

I have seen at 4 in the afternoon 2 crew wondering around with milk and cookies in the Piazza and various other places.

I will double check next week on the Grand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask for cookies at IC. They are never in the display case. They are always behind the counter and you have to ask for them. The type available varies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, brisalta said:

 

Which ship's IC ?

Grand, Ruby, Star, Crown (what we've seen) all have them.  As Thrak said, ask.  My recollection is that around 5pm daily (?) someone walks around offering cookies by the IC.

Edited by jennybenny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Regal last week, they always had a huge tray of various cookies behind the counter. Lemon were the best. Also, loved the fruit tartlets and watermelon caprese salad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JoRoy218 said:

On the Regal last week, they always had a huge tray of various cookies behind the counter. Lemon were the best. Also, loved the fruit tartlets and watermelon caprese salad. 

Yum, never had a lemon cookie.  I will ask on Saturday!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, pamwigs said:

Yes, the Horizon is different coffee. Some kind of a syrup mixture. Found that out our last cruise. This cruise I plan to only get coffee at the IC. Some of those iced coffee drinks are also great

 

Depends on the ship.  The Royal class ships don't use the syrup concentrate in the horizon court; they have brewed coffee (for free).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, capriccio said:

 

Depends on the ship.  The Royal class ships don't use the syrup concentrate in the horizon court; they have brewed coffee (for free).

I have heard that is now true of the Grand Princess, after her recent refit. I will find out next week.

Edited by brisalta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brisalta said:

I have heard that is now true of the Grand Princess, after her recent refit. I will find out next week.

Let us know, please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off Grand. Don't know about brew coffee, but there are new pastries every morning.  Here they are.....401172032_A-acopy.thumb.jpg.1e0bd618fc1181bd48d325749ab7698a.jpg

A-b copy.jpg

A-c copy.jpg

A-d  copy.jpg

A-h   copy.jpg

A-i  copy.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gimer said:

Just off Grand. Don't know about brew coffee, but there are new pastries every morning.  Here they are.....

 

How where the croissants?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...