If loyalty programs were discontinued...

Cruiser_1977

If loyalty programs were discontinued...  

80 members have voted

1. 1. If loyalty programs were discontinued...

• Would you stop cruising?
    • Would you sail different cruise lines?
    • Would you continue to cruise your current favorite?

Reading the various cruise line forums, it appears some folks take their "status" very seriously. So, I was thinking...If a cruise line sent a note that beginning in January 2020 there would no longer be "status". Meaning, it would no longer matter (from their perspective) if it was your first cruise or 300th. Premium cabins would still have benefits/perks. However, no Diamond Lounges or Platinum Free Drinks or Free Laundry or Balcony Discounts....

**For the sake of argument...There are no loyalty programs on ANY line**

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 1

What cruise I go on always depends on itineraries and cost and so on--in the end of the day, I'm going to go with whoever can give me what I want, when I want, for the price I want. But if two lines can give me the cruise I want but one will also give me sparkling wine in my cabin or something, then I'll go with them.

Of course, if one line killed their loyalty program and no other line did, they'd be in for a world of hurt.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Even though I am looking forward to the perks someday, the total ship experience is the reason for my choice.  I do prefer one particular cruise line, but would definitely cruise on another line if I traveled with family members who desired a different ship experience.  I've cruised on several lines and they all have their pros and cons.  Perks are a nice extra benefit, but I would continue cruising on my preferred line without them.

• Like 1

I figured that's what you meant, really.

But yeah, I'm not going to go with a different line just because I no longer have status with NCL or RCL. As it is, I'm open to trying other lines out of curiosity or to using other lines if the itinerary warrants it.

Of course, I only have silver and gold on those lines, respectively. Maybe if I were Mega Diamond Platinum Plus Deluxe(TM) and got my own butler on every cruise, I'd be singing a different tune.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Status is ridiculous, particularly on the cruises where you can book a cabin for a week for $1000 for two.  

We have found the right line that meets our needs and budget, and as long as they were sailing where we wanted to go, that's who we would cruise on.

• Like 4

There isn’t a right choice for me.  I have decent status on three lines and choose by price opportunity and itinerary.  We just today got off an MSC cruise where we have a sort of status, but since our 7 day cruise was lengthened to 9, we really missed the free laundry we get on another line.  EM

• Like 1

Because whatever perks which might be available due to status can always be purchased if not given as a freebie,  the whole concept is just part of the pricing consideration.

Itinerary and date come first in my consideration, then line and particular ship.  While pricing is of course important, it comes after the others because in my mind there is no point in buying anything just because it is cheap.

Of course, other things being equal, pricing does matter — but only when I already want to buy the thing;  so a line giving up its “loyalty” program is unlikely to have much impact.

• Like 1

Now that we are retired, we take long cruises (too bad that the cat hates that). As a result, the free laundry thing is good - fewer clothes to take and less work once we get home.

Itinerary is the thing for us. If brand X does not go when and where we want, we'll pass. I'll keep looking for whatever gets us going. Next up - 51-day Tales of the South Pacific on HAL. Itinerary - and then the cost - and then the free laundry.

Jim

• Like 1

What are the perks for status?  I think Princess is my most sailed and I can’t remember anything that wild make me choose them over ports/price.

My hotel and airline completely different, I will compromise a bit to go with them, get miles and points for free stays, free suite and first class upgrades and all sorts of other perks.

Anyone have a notable list of what perks cruise lines giver that come close to what hotels or airlines do?  What is really “free” or a noteworthy perk please tell, LOL

Edited by chipmaster

None of your choices apply to many.  While we have status on Royal have recently expanded to Celebrity, yes we do get reciprocal status but not much value to us.  Looking at other lines for itinerary, price and timing moving forward.

5 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

@squick64 Thanks for your response. I edited my post to reflect that in my scenario there are no loyalty programs at all!

We would continue to cruise with Celebrity and RC as long as they keep offering itineraries we like. What would you choose? 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

None of those answers apply to me because my favorite lines, the lines on which I have the highest status, are the lines I've sailed the least lately.  So for me, nothing would change.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

Rccl is our favorite but we look at many things before picking a cruise, about ten years ago I became diamond on rccl , the next 7 or so cruises after that were on other lines , recently became diamond plus , next several cruises are on other lines. I do like my perks but when booking suites you get most perks anyhow, love msc ten percent veteran discount also get a discount for veterans on music charter cruises. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently there was research by Princess? that showed the more cruises passengers took the less their onboard spend. As onboard spend is a very significant part of the profit there seems no logic in rewarding people for reducing the cruise lines profit plus new cruisers have to help pay for those perks. To answer the original question. I have a high status with P&O and no status with Marella who do not have a loyalty scheme and it makes no difference to who I cruise with.

• Like 2

No difference to us, just like air miles. We cruise once, maybe twice a year and have to fly each time. I used to worry about our frequent flyer miles, but since we don't fly that often and not more than a few hours each time they don't add up that fast. We were getting somewhat close with Delta a few years ago (just over halfway), but then they moved the bar and it became a mute point.

I think the only thing we go with now is AMX and not that hard at it. Like the OP said, none are and I don't ever see them going away. They create wonderful data for the companies to use and a way to influence (manipulate?) peoples decisions.

As a side bar: We hosted a small internet conference in Chicago for six years at the same Hilton. Four days a year worth of points times six and we also received points for the conference room we booked. After six years with all of my points I was able to put just over $100 dollars on a hotel stay last year. I know some folks travel A LOT and it does work for them, but not so much for us.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

Reading the various cruise line forums, it appears some folks take their "status" very seriously. So, I was thinking...If a cruise line sent a note that beginning in January 2020 there would no longer be "status". Meaning, it would no longer matter (from their perspective) if it was your first cruise or 300th. Premium cabins would still have benefits/perks. However, no Diamond Lounges or Platinum Free Drinks or Free Laundry or Balcony Discounts....

**For the sake of argument...There are no loyalty programs on ANY line**

We don't sail for the loyalty programs, price and itinerary. 

• Like 2

We have never sailed for the loyalty program.  What causes me to sail a line depends on what I want out of the vacation.  We have sailed for price, itinerary, timing, embarkation port, and/or the ship itself.  Perks from a loyalty program pay give a ship the edge, just like the dress code, size, age, entertainment, and dining choices may give a ship the edge when I am directly comparing my final options when choosing a vacation but it is definitely not a major factor.

• Like 2