If loyalty programs were discontinued...

Cruiser_1977

If loyalty programs were discontinued...  

80 members have voted

1. 1. If loyalty programs were discontinued...

• Would you stop cruising?
    • Would you sail different cruise lines?
    • Would you continue to cruise your current favorite?

I chose "stay with the same line" just because I like that line.  The perks are nice but not why I sail.  I'm just comfortable with Princess and so far they take me where I want to go for what I want to pay.  But, I am open to any cruise line that does the same.

• Like 1

I couldn’t find an answer to choose....I would choose It wouldn’t affect the way I cruise.    

We pick cruises based on itinerary but since getting free laundry on HAL we now always check their options for the itinerary we want.  Since we travel for months at a time having free laundry is a plus.  

I agree some folks take their status extremely seriously, that is something I will never understand.  But, our differences are what us interesting.  

• Like 3

@davekathy I don't have status with any at this time. I honestly don't care about achieving status (as of today). The thought occurred to me because of two threads where people seemed very INTO their status. I have sailed Carnival and NCL. I have RCCL booked in 15 days. I have Princess and Celebrity booked for the next two Januaries. Definitely not loyal to any line at this point. Even if I find a line to which I become loyal their loyalty program will have zero to do with the decision.

• Like 7

If there were NO loyalty programs on any line, then I would cruise on who I felt like cruising on.

If the line I typically cruise on, discontinued their loyalty program, but other lines had them, I would shop the other lines.

2 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

@davekathy I don't have status with any at this time. I honestly don't care about achieving status (as of today). The thought occurred to me because of two threads where people seemed very INTO their status. I have sailed Carnival and NCL. I have RCCL booked in 15 days. I have Princess and Celebrity booked for the next two Januaries. Definitely not loyal to any line at this point. Even if I find a line to which I become loyal their loyalty program will have zero to do with the decision.

Agree. I like your attitude. Variety is the spice of life. We enjoy all of our cruises no matter the cruise line (Celebrity, RC, Princess, Holland America). We found if you're not cruising to get to the next tier level, before you know it you have achieved it and are getting some very nice perks/benefits that you paid for over the years of cruising. But I will admit lately we've been only cruising with Celebrity and RC.  We are in their top three tier levels with each Celebrity and RC so added bonus. If we had to choose (tier levels excluded) between Celebrity, RC, Princess or Holland we would go with Celebrity. Personal preference. But glad we don't have to make that choice as we also don't consider ourselves loyal to anyone cruise line. 1991 was our very first cruise (American Hawaii Cruise Line) and 1994 was our first Celebrity cruise on the Zenith.

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

@davekathy I don't have status with any at this time. I honestly don't care about achieving status (as of today). The thought occurred to me because of two threads where people seemed very INTO their status.

I just never understood the people who thought they were all that because they made "whatever level" after sailing 10 three day mass market cruises that cost them next to nothing.  Ironically they are often the ones who are all about "dress-up night."  It makes me wonder what's missing in their lives to be so wrapped up in trying to impress people.

• Like 2

Like others, I sail for itinerary first, and for the most part cruise Royal and Carnival. Next year, I have 2 MSC cruises booked in Europe. I have cruised most lines since 1980 (I miss you Sitmar), and perks aren’t that big of a deal to me. I would probably miss the 3+ hr cocktails (I use that) on Royal, more than the free laundry (don’t use that) on Carnival. But as long as I could go to new destinations, that is really what matters to me.

• Like 1

So called loyalty to a cruise line and loyalty programs are about the last consideration for us.  One we select the itinerary it comes down to ship, then cruise line.  We look at the pros and cons of each, including price, and then come to a tentative decision.

IF it is a tie we may lean toward RCI because of their diamond benefits.  But only if everything else is equal.  A bag of laundry, some internet minutes, a half price dinner will no do it for us.  And we ignore the other...a couple of bottles of water, priority boarding etc.  Don’t need our egos stroked.

• Like 1

I already stray away from my most-traveled cruise line from time to time when the price and itinerary are right. But the missing perks do figure into my thinking--how much will I miss them and how much will it cost for me to buy the ones I need.

• Like 1

Well, my P&O slippers are worn out, so perhaps I ought to book...

No way would we go on a cruise because the line is offering points- we go for itinerary, then a pleasant ship with sensible pricing, and ease of access. 

On 9/5/2019 at 2:10 PM, ducklite said:

I just never understood the people who thought they were all that because they made "whatever level" after sailing 10 three day mass market cruises that cost them next to nothing.  Ironically they are often the ones who are all about "dress-up night."  It makes me wonder what's missing in their lives to be so wrapped up in trying to impress people.

I agree.   

I chose I'd stick the current fave, but it's only because I don't need bells and whistles on my cruises.   But, I do have to hold in a snicker when I see someone walking the deck or in the MDR with their super-special Titanium level cruiser medallion hanging around her neck.  

Like the road warriors who get their status with those 1 or 2 night stays at the local <enter lowest category in the chain> and then use their new "status" at the local <enter category in the chain>.   I used to see guys who got all their points and status from their stays at the Courtyard and are now staying at the Ritz Carlton.  Many of them expected staff to prostrate ourselves at their feet and serve only them.   The best of the bunch never had to boast about their status (and their millions of miles) and had the spend to go with the stays.  

I've got points in several hotel programs but not status anymore because I don't stay enough.  Yet, I've got enough points to do a nice 2 week vacation somewhere.  I'll always sign up for a Frequent Guest program because you can sometimes get instant perks (free wifi).  But, I don't look at one or another when I stay - it's whichever gives me what I need at that time.  I live in a Delta Airlines fortress hub.  When I traveled for a living, it made sense to join Delta's club.  I was able to do a few business-class trip to Europe with my points.  But, if I'm going somewhere with friends or a group and they are going on American (ugh), I'll book there.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:10 PM, ducklite said:

Ugh! Just because some people like to dress up definitely doesn't mean they are missing something. Maybe it's you that might be missing something??? We dress up on formal nights because we LIKE to. We don't dress to impress others. We also don't like looking like slobs in the MDR so we will wear a nice pair of pants or a dress.

We have mostly cruised on Royal because they have had decent prices and itineraries. Also because they're comfortable since we are familiar with the ships. We will be diamond plus at the end of November.  We are now looking at other cruise lines because we want to see what other fish are in the sea. If Royal ends up being the best fit (price/itineraries/perks) then we will sail on her, but definitely not exclusively so I don't think perks will keep us with them. The perks can be nice, but the more Royal takes away the more likely others will appeal to us. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 1:48 PM, fyree39 said:

*Shakes head*

This is the saddest, most insulting post I've ever read. Of course, most of your posts are like this. I don't have you on ignore because I'm amused by the constant barrage of "my cruise line of choice is so much better than yours" posts. 

.. and there ya have it  .

Related image

55 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I've never understood questions that boil down to 'how would you react if something that is never going to happen, happens.'

hmmmm....  🤨 interesting   makes one think

Well loyalty doesn’t factor in to my cruises now, why would it then.

we mainly cruise Princess, because we like the product and that it is in Aus$, Celebrity is probably next on our list, but also enjoy Cunard (a bit expensive) NCL, have been on P&O (I won’t say never again, but it would need to be special.

our next few cruises are Princess, RCCL, Carnival, and then three on RCCL.

so you can see how much we value any of these loyalty schemes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I've never understood questions that boil down to 'how would you react if something that is never going to happen, happens.'

Hypotheticals can be a good way to find out how much importance people place on something by presenting a situation in which said thing didn't exist. Hypotheticals are considered an extremely useful thinking tool to help you tackle issues and subjects in different ways. 

From this thread (though it is a small sample size) it would seem the cruise line gains from loyalty programs must be the data they collect vs the repeat customer as no one seems to saying that loyalty programs play a major role in deciding which cruise to take. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Hypotheticals can be a good way to find out how much importance people place on something by presenting a situation in which said thing didn't exist. Hypotheticals are considered an extremely useful thinking tool to help you tackle issues and subjects in different ways. 

From this thread (though it is a small sample size) it would seem the cruise line gains from loyalty programs must be the data they collect vs the repeat customer as no one seems to saying that loyalty programs play a major role in deciding which cruise to take. 

I know plenty of cruisers where it is the be all and end all, they will never cruise another line due to the perks they would have to give up if choosing another line, and that includes lines that offer reciprocal benefits.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Small sample size?  Miniscule, compared to the universe of cruisers.  And heavily skewed by the natural self selection of people who come on cc.  Certainly nothing to warrant even the most tentative conclusion.  And the fatal weakness of hypotheticals is that people's answers give very little guide to what they ACTUALLY would do IF faced with the hypothesized situation.