Best Dining Room Dinners and Desserts?

lidolovers

Getting excited for our upcoming cruise in December and have been looking at the dining room dinner and dessert menus 🙂

What are some some of your all-time favourites and dishes you think RCI does best?

We are eager to hear your entree and dessert recommendations!

• Like 2

I am adventuresome when ordering.  I can get chicken and beef any day, I go for the lamb, duck, etc.  Sorry, never order fish, but others do and love it. As far as desserts, I rarely order them.  I would much rather eat an extra appetizer than the desserts.  I do however greatly miss the chocolate mints on my pillow from years gone by.  Have a ball and try it all.  In December I am doing my first B2B.  Week one will be exploring MDR offerings and week two is unlimited dining package.  I will be exploring all the speciality dining options.  

• Like 2

I really like the Horseradish crusted Salmon on night one.  The Duck and  the Short Rib has always been good. 

The Souffle is the only dessert I really like.  

Also, Escargots is really good it you like garlic!  Be sure to have a dinner roll, my favorite is the sourdough, to sop up the garlic butter after you eat the escargots.  😎 

• Like 8

i love cruising because i get to try things 'for free'

windjammer, rice pudding, tried for the 1st time, love it

mdr, beef tenderloin, yum

mdr, every cruise i try lobster, my senses do not like the cracking noise they make to get it out of the shell, so i just am in shock when i try and just don't have an appetite after, i am vexed by it, i always want to try it, though my past says not to- i am a complicated little thing! 

mdr, i always say, 'this is the cruise i am going to try escargot!'  (never even tried to order it- just can't) but my next cruise i will! (no, probably lying)

mdr, oxtail broth, though i haven't seen it in years

mdr, bread basket, i am a simple girl, the poppy seed rolls and the pumpkin seed rolls were wonderful

windjammer, midnight chocolate buffet, though they do not do this anymore. my kids still let me know how upset they are with me i did not wake them to come to this. (didn't think there would be ppl that blabbed about it) 

11 hours ago, lidolovers said:

Getting excited for our upcoming cruise in December and have been looking at the dining room dinner and dessert menus 🙂

What are some some of your all-time favourites and dishes you think RCI does best?

We are eager to hear your entree and dessert recommendations!

We actually LOOOOOOOOVED the apple pie dessert.  It's made elsewhere, probably frozen, and served in the main dining room.  Don't let the word "frozen" turn you off:  it's the most delicious apple pie dessert Mr. Pcur and I have ever had. Ever.

It's an small single serving apple pie "purse" dessert, but the crust isn't pulled completely shut.  So, the wonderful and cinnamon-y filling is there at the middle.  Crust is super flakey, and with vanilla ice cream, it's heaven!  Our head waiter on the Jewel said it was also her all time favorite.

• Like 3

Lamb shanks, rack of lamb  (when on the menu--it was in Europe but not often on cruises in USS)  Spouse like duck.

He also likes the Grand Marnier souffle.

Remember when the Maitre d' on request would come and make crepes Suzette at the table?   Or cherried Jubilee?

Oh well.....

• Like 1

I enjoyed everything I ordered in the MDR on Symphony.  Here were some of my favorites:

Appetizers:

French Onion Soup

Lobster Bisque

Crab Cake

Meals:

Prime Rib

Beef Tenderloin

Garlic Tiger Shrimp (I got that with the steak)

Chicken Parmesan (needed more sauce though)

Lobster Tails (I also got that with the steak)

Dessert:

Grand Mariner Souffle (I don't eat chocolate, but my family raves about this)

One night they do the tiny doughnuts/beignets - they are nice enough to give me strawberry sauce instead of the chocolate too

• Like 1

I second pcur above on the Apple pie dessert. I had it on Adventure. Not the regular Apple pie with raisins in it—that was horrible. I had that awfulness on Oasis.  But the Apple pie that is like a purse, kind of open on the top. I got it every single night, except one night I got the baked Alaska because I love that too, but my husband ordered the Apple pie that night so I could at least have a bite! So so good. For meals I really liked the spaghetti bolognese, chicken Parmesan and the fried fish with jasmine rice. We ordered extra bowls of the rice! Something about it was just so good. So simple but delicious. 

Many "Best" items 😁

Best Appetizers

Caesar salad

escargots

...will mention French Onion Soup as both my kids love those

Best Entrees

Garlic Shrimp

Risotto (and I'm not a rice person)

Cheese Tortellini

Best Desserts

Key Lime Pie

Cheesecake

...will mention the Baked Alaska and Profiteroles as my kids loved those

• Like 1

14 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Bob hit the nail squarely on the head. Love the lamb shanks.  Second best is some of the off the menu Indian dishes. 

How do you order the off the menu Indian dishes. Do you just ask for something delicious, spicy, vegetarian???

Love to try new things

5 minutes ago, amflor said:

How do you order the off the menu Indian dishes. Do you just ask for something delicious, spicy, vegetarian???

Love to try new things

In the MDR. Works out well if we have a Indian waiter, assistant waiter or Head waiter.  I just ask if they can bring me something or anything through out the week,  usually get 3 or 4 things during the week. I think recently they have added a few dishes to the MDR menu on several ships. .

2 hours ago, FirstAnthem said:

I second pcur above on the Apple pie dessert. I had it on Adventure. Not the regular Apple pie with raisins in it—that was horrible. I had that awfulness on Oasis.  But the Apple pie that is like a purse, kind of open on the top. I got it every single night, except one night I got the baked Alaska because I love that too, but my husband ordered the Apple pie that night so I could at least have a bite! So so good. For meals I really liked the spaghetti bolognese, chicken Parmesan and the fried fish with jasmine rice. We ordered extra bowls of the rice! Something about it was just so good. So simple but delicious. 

FYI - at least on symphony - the apple pie no longer has raisins it!!!  

I think you are both speaking about the apple purses.  I had this years ago on Grandeur and had a terrible allergic reaction to the almond paste filling.  They don't advertise the nuts in the description of the dessert, but there was definitely almond paste in in (if we are speaking about the same dessert.

One of my favourite desserts was the key lime tart - it came with a meringue top that I scraped off, but the tart was delish.  A few days later they had a lemon meringue tart at Park Café which was also delish.  I was pleasantly surprised with the desserts on symphony.

One of my all-time favourites is the chocolate ganache tart which I've had both on Royal Carribean and on Celebrity.  On celebrity they put a little raspberry liqueur in the middle.  It's basically a chocolate ganache poured into a chocolate cruse tartelet shell.  So yummy!!!