Deployment Change 2020

Wansbrough

This one is new one for us, we received a letter from Costa informing us of ship change next year. Originally booked on the Costa Fortuna November 14, 2020  for 14 nights (B2B cruises).  It’s only been booked since July and we had real issues with available cabins to UK customers but eventually settled on one that would probably be OK.

While we have no issue with the ship change, in fact it’s probably a better option as they are changing it to the Mediterranea which has one of our favourite layouts. What we do have a problem with is we have a 10 day window to cancel or agree but with no option to select a cabin. Effectively we would be agreeing to the change but downgrading to guaranteed cabin.  No mention of OBC or any other compensatory offering.

I am not happy with the situation and am currently working with our TA to try and find a way forward. If it can’t be done we are going to cancel which is a real shame as we were looking forward to taking another longer cruise on Costa.

Interesting.  When I go to Costa and pick November 2020, the Mediterranea is dimmed out as a choice and so is the Fortuna.   I get the same result for October, November and December 2020., those two ships are not available for any cruises either on the UK or US websites.

Hi Wansborough.  The same thing has happened to us.  

I regularly check the cruiseindustrynews website.  On 27th August they mentioned that Costa were shuffling some of their ships.  I didn't hear anything from Costa regarding our sailing on the Costa Luminosa for April 2021.  I finally got an email on the 3rd September!  Like you, the only choice was to change the booking to something else and they would apply a 10% refund.  I thought that was a bit poor.  We have had cruises cancelled before  with our cruiselines and like you stated, they usual offer future cruise discounts, free transfer, free upgrades on known cabins and onboard spend!

As there was no mention in the email about a simple refund on our deposit, our travel agent confirmed this can be done.  The catch? It can be done but that is all we will receive!!  Luckily we have a future cruise booked.  We are on the Costa Smeralda, February 2020.  Our Luminosa deposit will be transferred but that is all we will be getting.  

I must say I am a bit disappointed by this but not surprised by Costa.  We will see how our Costa Smeralda cruise goes and thereafter, sadly no more Costa sailings for us!!

As an aside, I think this has been a blessing in disguise for you.  The older Costa ships (apart from the Mediterranea,) are in my opinion sorely lacking now.  Our last Costa sailing was on the Costa Fascinosca in May and we had the Costa Fortuna booked.  As soon as we got home we changed the Costa Fortuna to the Costa Smeralda!!

Similar situation here (in the States).  We booked the Mediterranea for Nov. 21, 2020 for a cruise that included Seychelles, Madagascar (Port Louis, St Denis, Victoria Nosy Be, Tamatave.  We booked a Panorama Suite at a very, very good price.  Now I see that the cruise will be from Singapore to Singapore-a nice itinerary but not the one we chose. 

We were assured by a Costa rep that our price and cabin selection would be honored but could not assure us that we would be able to get our selection on our desired destination. We would be open to postponing this cruise (with our desired itinerary, cabin selection and price).

I have talked with our TA and Costa and have been told to wait and check back next week.  Really getting frustrated.  I am interested as to what happens to you guys, will keep checking back here and will post updates on our situation.  

That info is correct. My friend onbaord Foruna was told he is no longer going to Singapore. The weird part is Medi was sold to another Carnival/Costa brand. A new brand which is meant to be below Costa on pricing. So really they shouldn't be using it for this route. And they really need to spin-off a couple ships because they have so many new ships coming online. Venizia already. Smeralda in dry dock waiting launch and Firenze next year.

10 hours ago, BrianCruiser said:

That info is correct. My friend onbaord Foruna was told he is no longer going to Singapore. The weird part is Medi was sold to another Carnival/Costa brand. A new brand which is meant to be below Costa on pricing. So really they shouldn't be using it for this route. And they really need to spin-off a couple ships because they have so many new ships coming online. Venizia already. Smeralda in dry dock waiting launch and Firenze next year.

I had forgotten Mediterranea & Atlantica had been sold, maybe this is a bid to reposition her prior to handing over. Strange that cruises are been sold into April 2021 though?

CSSC Carnival Cruise Shipping has announced an agreement to purchase two existing ships from Carnival Corporation’s Costa Group.

The first of these ships, the 85,861-ton, 2,210-passenger Costa Atlantica, is scheduled to be transferred to the new Chinese cruise line by the end of 2019. The new line is part of a joint venture between China State Shipbuilding Corporation (CSSC) and Carnival Corporation. 

Costa Atlantica’s sister ship, the 2,114-passenger Costa Mediterranea, will be transferred at a date still to be announced, but is expected to be at the end of 2020, according to CSSC

The new China-based cruise company plans to operate its own fleet to serve Chinese cruise guests by the end of 2019, according to a press release.

Edited by Wansbrough

My gf is onboard medi now. They are just finishing up the northern Europe season and heading to Mediterranean. Magica is doing the same. I'll ask her if she has any new information. I don't know how much the itinerary has changed but she was looking forward to Oman and Muscat.

I'd say its very likely repositioning for the impending hand over of the ship. But as you say very odd if they are still selling cabins on her through to 2021. Maybe they are selling on behalf of the new venture. Or they know they can just substitute Firenze when she comes online. If you like the itinerary it might be worth a punt that you book now and end up with a better ship come cruise time.

No go from Costa regarding a cabin allocation. Also the price has dropped by £250 PP which I asked to taken into consideration....... Nothing!!!

We have now cancelled and awaiting deposit refund. We won't be rebooking either and will look for something else.

We are still waiting to hear back from Costa concerning our itinerary change and re-booking.  We leave in two weeks for another cruise (another cruise line) and will have limited access to internet, just hoping they mess things up even more while we are gone.  😧

10 hours ago, BrianCruiser said:

Neo Riviera sold to AIDA. After dry dock it will be know as AIDAmira. Another piece of the missing puzzle.

This change was announced in May 2018 so there is no surpsise about that https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/costa-neoriviera-is-transferring-to-become-aidamira/

This may be old news but it showed the direction that Costa was going.

Namely getting rid of it's smaller cosy ships, leaving passengers the option of looking for a new cruise line or take a cruise on one of their new mega-liners. I'm glad I chose the fromer.

I totally agree with you. The new direction that Costa has taken is too much mass market and mega ships oriented. I was expecting the leaving of neoRiviera that is too small for the cruise line (I still love that ship and will be in a couple of weeks onboard neoRiviera for my last cruise on her) but the farewell to Mediterranea and Atlantica was totally unexpected and probably also Victoria and neoRomantica will leave the fleet soon. After that the only ships that will be interesting in the fleet will be Deliziosa and Luminosa but they always do the same boring itineraries.

As you I have chosen other cruiselines for my future

This is a sad confirmation of what was speculated.

neoRiviera will leave the fleet next month as was announced in 2018 while Atlantica and Mediterranea will go to the new Carnival's joint venture in the Chinese market respectively in 2020 and May 2021.

The sad news is that both neoRomantica and Victoria will leave the fleet in autumn 2020

• 3 weeks later...

Another deployment change affecting Costa Smeralda!

We were due to embark Rome on 31.12.20.  I received an email yesterday stating that the sail date had moved to 01.01.21.  The whole point was to be on board on New Year's Eve!!  Again really poor offerings from Costa - accept the new date at the same rate or refund.  No fcc, obs - nothing.  Luckily we have MSC Virtuosa booked for 18th December 2020 disembark on Xmas Day.  I booked that at the same time as the Smeralda and am so glad I did as we got a really good price.  (The cabin price has since doubled).

Really poor show from Costa.  If I hadn't had anything booked, all the alternatives have really gone up in price.  Sometimes I think it is better not to book so far in advance but with Easter and Christmas there really isn't the option to book last minute as flights are more expensive or no 3-berth cabins!! Rant now over.