Notes from a cruise to Iceland

Host Hattie

22 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Is it just the Reykjavik excursions you are interested in? I left the full brochure at home but I can post the information they gave us on the first day. We're not taking a Cunard excursion in Reykjavik.

IMG_20190909_175924.jpg

Thank you so much Hattie. Yes, Reykjavik is the only port on your voyage that we will be calling at on our voyage next summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Hattie, 

I wonder if you could provide a bit more detail on the "Always available" options please. This seems to be a topic of frequent debate here. There is some question as to if it is even available in Britannia anymore.

Thanks for your great postings/pictures.

Jack

It's aways available, ( still available 28th July 2019)  and always has been  my friend .  Not only that, even if there is nothing on the 'Always Available Menu' not quite to ones liking , with a bit of flexibly ( and providing one is prepared to give advanced notice) the Britannia team will endeavour to arrange something 'Within Reason' !   Guests on seven days or more  just need to ask.

Take no notice of the old chestnut, that Britannia category is some sort of steerage . 😉    

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Thanks 1

DAY 5 At sea
We were up in time for Britannia breakfast, I'd asked for a table for 2 so I was a bit surprised when the waiter supposed to be taking us to the table was checking numbers on tables for 6 ! We found it ourselves eventually. Mr HH went to the Magna Carta lecture and I joined him for the next Forensics one. We stayed for the Captain's noon announcement (he told us there was a chance to see the Northern lights between 11pm & 3am) and then the start of the Reykjavik port lecture. I was hoping for some information about the city but it started with a description of the tours. 
We went for Britannia lunch, Mr HH had the chilled banana soup and I ordered a California burger but was given a Chicken Schnitzel sandwich. It was very good so I just kept quiet and ate it.
We went straight to the World Club wine tasting, white wines from France and Brazil, reds from Greece and Australia. 3 of the wines only available on the bin end list, the only one I might be tempted to order was the Australian.
Mr HH went to a talk/sales pitch on the history of gin, I went to get a new key card (my third) & a statement.
We had an afternoon nap & woke up in time for another announcement from the Captain that the forecast is overcast so not to get our hopes up for the Northern lights but that we might see whales during the sail in to Akureyri if we were up early. The ship has stopped moving around as much as we're now being sheltered by Iceland. It's been a wet, windy and thoroughly grey day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

It's aways available, ( still available 28th July 2019)  and always has been  my friend .  Not only that, even if there is nothing on the 'Always Available Menu' not quite to ones liking , with a bit of flexibly ( and providing one is prepared to give advanced notice) the Britannia team will endeavour to arrange something 'Within Reason' !   Guests on seven days or more  just need to ask.

Take no notice of the old chestnut, that Britannia category is some sort of steerage . 😉    

Good information, thanks for putting that debate to bed. Still, I can't remember a single night when there weren't two or three items on the printed menu that I wasn't dying to have.

Jack

2 hours ago, Underwatr said:

The "Always Available" item I'm most likely to order is the Caesar Salad.

While I have ordered steak in the past, most often for me, yes, it's a starter. Caesar Salad or Shrimp Cocktail. (I usually order 2 items before my main)

Edited by MarkBearSF

DAY 5 Part 2

TV reception was coming and going but wifi was still OK.

We dressed and went to the Commodore Club for pre-dinner drinks. Another good meal, another souffle for me, the Chocolate and peanut butter cheesecake wasn't particularly well liked. We didn't fancy the show so went along to the Golden Lion not realising it was Singalong evening ! There seemed to be plenty of masks in the Queens Room as we walked through.

IMG_20190910_125650.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Underwatr said:

The "Always Available" item I'm most likely to order is the Caesar Salad.

The Britannia kitchen can be very accommodating ( for guests on longish voyages/cruises) 

example; in the past I've requested  a 'Chicken' Caesar prepared as a main, on  another evening I've manage to request a simple baked jacket potato with grated cheese topping . 

A couple of years ago (QM2) I shared a table in the evening with a lovely Asian family, they requested  in advance if it would be possible to arrange a very spicy curry ,including the condiments etc.  The head waiter suggested if  other guests on our table of eight would also like to be included (for the next evening) We  all did and it was an enjoyable evening .

I've never had a problem in Britannia category requesting something within reason , I'm not suggesting chateaubriand carved at the table. 😉   

Edited by Bell Boy

14 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

Plastic.....

5FA7E29A-4101-47D9-876C-FF0210A6FB8E.jpeg

This looks very odd to me for a floral table arrangement , It look more like a plant and why is it positioned at the edge of the table Never seen anything on a restaurant  table in big container like this ,nor with a side plate used as a base.  which ship is this ?

I have known guests on a World Cruise for example,  who will buy local floral arrangements ashore for use in their cabin or their dining table.  

It looks hauntingly beautiful,  it a shame the ☀️ is not with you for some warmth and blue sky photos!

Thank you for taking the time to post. I hope the QE is in good shape as we are looking forward to our November voyage on her.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

This looks very odd to me for a floral table arrangement , It look more like a plant and why is it positioned at the edge of the table Never seen anything on a restaurant  table in big container like this ,nor with a side plate used as a base.  which ship is this ?

I have known guests on a World Cruise for example,  who will buy local floral arrangements ashore for use in their cabin or their dining table.  

Queen elizabeth - current cruise,  not just on the one table so they have not  been bought on as a floral arrangement by a passenger..... from some $2 shop..

1D24686D-C4FA-4923-B5E2-73953C4D6C47.jpeg

D24351C1-7F96-4B79-B6C1-AC420F5E92A0.jpeg

Edited by roscoe39

DAY 6 Part 2

Our luck gave out just as we got back to the ship and the rain started. The Captain promised us either snow,  rain or sun tomorrow ! We left on time and enjoyed the long sail out. We changed for dinner and ended up in the Midships Bar again. There's something about the arrangement of the chairs there which encourages chatting so we talked to our neighbours about gin and other important subjects. Mr HH ordered a single Sloe Gin much to the waiter's confusion. I had a Mary Rose, I am sure when I have had one on Queen Victoria the meringue was on the side rather than floating iceberg style.

Another good meal, our dinner companions are really getting into the swing of making the most of the menu, main courses for starters (my fault, I started it with the lobster), extra vegetables & double desserts. They go the gym a lot !

We managed to get a box for the comedy juggler. I've seen him at least twice before and his act doesn't change but I still find it ridiculously funny. We tried to work out if we were going to cross the Arctic Circle.

IMG_20190911_233045.jpg

IMG_20190911_233111.jpg

• Like 2